PDA

View Full Version : Down sizing from a ULA Circuit.....

saltysack
05-31-2016, 19:20
Looking at getting a smaller/lighter pack. I love my circuit but find it has more space than I usually need even in the winter. Was thinking about ohm 2.0 but really like the look of the gossamer gear gorilla. I thought about zpacks but not sold on cuben due to cost/durability and don't really care for the arc haul, I tried one on during my jmt hike last year....

Any gorilla users out there? Pros/cons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
05-31-2016, 19:57
Con: the GG gorilla is butt ugly.

Not a fan of the shiny gray color scheme personally.

Have you looked at the elemental horizons Aduro? 42 L or kalais ~53 L total volume all pockets. Depends on size.

Kalais has good rep. Sgt. Rock has a review on his somewhere

Connie
05-31-2016, 20:06
Look at HMG.

Perhaps 3400 Southwest or Windrider?

Lowe Alpine

Mountain Attack or Alpine Attack

saltysack
05-31-2016, 20:49
Con: the GG gorilla is butt ugly.

Not a fan of the shiny gray color scheme personally.

Have you looked at the elemental horizons Aduro? 42 L or kalais ~53 L total volume all pockets. Depends on size.

Kalais has good rep. Sgt. Rock has a review on his somewhere

I'll def check them out....I haven't seen the gorilla in person...doesn't look bad on site....I'm in no rush so will def check out the others...thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
05-31-2016, 21:02
Or Chris Zimmer has good rep.

scudder
05-31-2016, 21:07
I have a gen2 gorilla that I got 4 yrs ago. The fabric is dyneema with the shoelace straps for the lid and compression straps. A liter bigger than currently offered and a couple ozs lighter. It has fewer bells and whistles than the current model . My base at is @ 12/14 lbs and I usually carry about 20 lbs. I like that it will hold everything I need and nothing that I don't. I like the way it carries. The large stretch pocket can hold a lot of stuff.i can access a liter water bottle in small side pocket while walking but it is a little bit of a stretch.

SouthMark
06-01-2016, 08:20
Another vote for the Gorilla. I also have a ULA Circuit but I like my Gorilla better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fastfoxengineering
06-02-2016, 05:47
If you like your circuit you'll probably like an ohm. However its really not that much smaller. Also, packs like the circuit have good support. Start going lighter and packs are "essentially" frameless.

Golite just started up again and are making the jam 50 under a new name

I always hear good things about gossamer gear packs

HMG cuben packs are "heavy" when talking cuben, but bombproof

Osprey makes great packs in all sizes

Tbh, unless your making big transitions in all your gear I dont see why ya would change.

Keep in mind that listed volumes of packs are subjective to the layout of the pack. Circuits are one big black hole. Osprey usually have a bunch of little pockets that add up to the total volume.

Maybe you should get the UL addiction, snowball effect rolling and jump to a really small and light pack.

I know, I'm offering no advice. If it makes you feel any better I'm going from a 45L pack to a circuit or arc haul.. The extra real estate compresses nicely when ya dont need it. However, living the trail life, who knows when I want to carry something weird with me that requires some extra space.

I've done 6 backpacking trips this spring with a 25L pack.. But I practically brought nothing

bigcranky
06-02-2016, 07:26
I used two different Circuits for years, finally retiring the second one last year and getting an Arc Haul. The Arc Haul is a great pack, but it's not really any smaller than the Circuit in use. It actually feels a little bigger, but I don't have the Circuit to compare side-by-side.

I did try the original Ohm, on which I did not like the hip belt (the Ohm 2.0 would have solved that). It's not much, if any, smaller than a Circuit, either.

I have an old Golite 24 pack that works for really light weekend loads :)

blue indian
06-02-2016, 17:45
If you like your circuit you'll probably like an ohm. However its really not that much smaller. Also, packs like the circuit have good support. Start going lighter and packs are "essentially" frameless.

Golite just started up again and are making the jam 50 under a new name

I always hear good things about gossamer gear packs

HMG cuben packs are "heavy" when talking cuben, but bombproof

Osprey makes great packs in all sizes

Tbh, unless your making big transitions in all your gear I dont see why ya would change.

Keep in mind that listed volumes of packs are subjective to the layout of the pack. Circuits are one big black hole. Osprey usually have a bunch of little pockets that add up to the total volume.

Maybe you should get the UL addiction, snowball effect rolling and jump to a really small and light pack.

I know, I'm offering no advice. If it makes you feel any better I'm going from a 45L pack to a circuit or arc haul.. The extra real estate compresses nicely when ya dont need it. However, living the trail life, who knows when I want to carry something weird with me that requires some extra space.

I've done 6 backpacking trips this spring with a 25L pack.. But I practically brought nothing

Do you have a link for the new Golite gear?

left52side
06-02-2016, 18:30
I havent checked out the gorilla but have you looked at the GG rukus sul pack.
It is 40 liter pack and weighs in at 11 ounces.
Also the mld burn seems to be a fine choice .
I personally like my SMD fusion 50l pack I got from there site for 100.00 shipped.
It is A small 50l with the internal compartment being roughly 37 liters and the remaining pockets making up the difference.
I did get that rukus pack today in the mail and must say using it for an sul pack is going to be great.

lonehiker
06-02-2016, 18:46
Do you have a link for the new Golite gear?

www.mytrailco.com is what I found.