PDA

View Full Version : Checking Backpack For Flight

toogariver
06-02-2016, 09:07
I'm thru hiking southbound, starting in a few days. I've tried to find a general answer about the best way to check my pack but there seems to be a ton of answers with very little agreement. I've seen where some say just make sure all of your straps are tucked and I'll "probably" be fine. This is something I'm not willing to leave to chance. I've also seen where some say to get a large duffle bag and store everything in it. The problem is that I'm thru hiking and I don't want to ditch something I just invested a chunk of money in after one use. Can someone give me some advice on this?

KidA24
06-02-2016, 09:15
Buy a cheap suitcase at goodwill?

BonBon
06-02-2016, 09:18
I was hiking in GA last week and met a guy who was on the trail with all loaned gear. He traveled from Germany. His backpack was checked and never showed up. When I flew in to Atlanta last year at the beginning of my hike- I had a bag to check (with stuff like knife, poles and bear spray) and I planned to carry on my back pack with my sleep and shelter systems. (three most expensive things) The line to check bags was so long and slow that I was forced to carry on both bags. They took my knife, Left the poles. Didn't catch the bearspay. If I were to do this again, I would Fed Ex my gear to a hostel, or part of it, and carry on the pack and tent.

Odd Man Out
06-02-2016, 09:19
I used a duffle bag, but it's an old 0ne I had laying around and I did a section hike so I left it with my shuttle driver and used it coming home. For a thru hike you could consider:

1. Get a duffel from goodwill, garage sale, etc so you haven't invested much in it. Put it in the hiker box at your starting point and pay it forward.

2. Ship the duffel home. You are out postage but you get the duffle back.

3. Many people ship the whole pack. Costs more but you save on the airlines checked bag fee.

4. If you are using a bounce box, put it in there.

Gambit McCrae
06-02-2016, 09:24
Go to army surplus, get a large canvas duffel. With Sharpy write your name, address and phone number on it, roll it up and carry it with you. IF your pack does not fit on the carry on(it will on southwest unless you have a massive pack), the little jets a backpack will not fit. If at the last minute at the gate they tell you will have to check your bag, put it in the duffel and ask to watch them put it on the plane. I did all of this 4 times on my way to and from Massachusetts last September and it worked just fine.

Old Hillwalker
06-02-2016, 09:25
I'm thru hiking southbound, starting in a few days. I've tried to find a general answer about the best way to check my pack but there seems to be a ton of answers with very little agreement. I've seen where some say just make sure all of your straps are tucked and I'll "probably" be fine. This is something I'm not willing to leave to chance. I've also seen where some say to get a large duffle bag and store everything in it. The problem is that I'm thru hiking and I don't want to ditch something I just invested a chunk of money in after one use. Can someone give me some advice on this?

To get my backpack to Scotland I bought cheap duffle bag such as for hockey gear for around $20 two years ago. Once I got to Glasgow, I tossed it in the trash. A $20 investment to preserve my gear is pretty reasonable IMHO. I did risk my gear uncovered for the trip back with no loss or damage. Before departing upon returning to the states I looked at the airport for one of those film wrapping services but never found one.

Cheyou
06-02-2016, 09:55
I just put everything inside my pack . Nothing in side or back pocket. Tie the straps with a cord and Send it checked baggage . I use a string backpack to carry onboard snacks phone cable and stuff I want on the plane.

Secondmouse
06-02-2016, 09:57
put it in a cardboard box and close with strapping tape. make a strapping tape handle that resembles a suitcase handle. check it, retrieve it at destination, discard it...

toogariver
06-02-2016, 10:18
Thanks for all the advice! I'll go and see if I can find a cheap duffle and leave it behind before I start. I was wondering if they would accept a cardboard box to be checked. If I knew that would be a sure thing I would probably just do that. Does anyone know of that is a fool proof plan?

moldy
06-02-2016, 10:53
This is what I do every year. Go to airport. Ask for the large plastic bag that most airlines have at check in, put pack in bag. If they don't have then ask for the tape. Tape the crap out of it so the straps don't get caught. No fuel for stove at all. Check your knife in your checked pack. Put your lighter in your pocket. Not the other way around.

Water Rat
06-02-2016, 11:34
I'm not sure if it will work for your particular situation, but it looks like the folks at Zpacks are taking steps to address this very issue. They have come up with an airplane bag that can then double as a pack liner. Not sure about durability where the airline is concerned, but it looks to be an interesting option. http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/airplane_case.shtml

Hikingjim
06-02-2016, 11:45
what airline?

Hikingjim
06-02-2016, 12:03
Getting a plastic bag has never been an issue, and I'm always confident it's ok that way. It's how they handle the checked bags that usually concerns me (having friends that work at the airport isn't reassuring)

Had a heavy duty pack show up on the other end with a pretty mangled frame years ago. Eventually got it back in order to hike

So I just check whatever junk bag with hiking poles some items, then I carry on my backpack with important items in it

Berserker
06-02-2016, 12:17
I've personally done the duffel bag thing and it worked fine. Only difference between us is that I was hiking the JMT and mailed the duffel to the end where I could retrieve it. So, maybe use a duffel and mail it home. Some of the other suggestions on here should work too. The main thing is to make sure the pack can handle some abuse without being damaged. So make sure it has some flexibility (isn't packed to the point of the seams being about to blow out) so it can take being thrown around, that all the straps are battened down, and that there's no large rigid exposed item such as your poles that can be bent or broken.

MuddyWaters
06-02-2016, 13:24
Duffel
Ever seen a luggage cart load a plane?
You pack can have several 50 lb bags on top of it
Nothing thats damageable should be in it

I carry on down sleeping bag, $$$ cuben tent, foster pot, etc.

Secondmouse
06-02-2016, 13:46
Thanks for all the advice! I'll go and see if I can find a cheap duffle and leave it behind before I start. I was wondering if they would accept a cardboard box to be checked. If I knew that would be a sure thing I would probably just do that. Does anyone know of that is a fool proof plan?

yes. as long as it has a handle...