PDA

View Full Version : Black Flies

Del Q
06-02-2016, 20:42
I am heading to NH/Southern Maine in 2 weeks for a long section hike, wassup with the BLACK FLY situation. Will be out there 6/15 - 7/1.

nsherry61
06-02-2016, 20:49
Bring Picaradin. Unlike deet, it helps with black flies.

egilbe
06-02-2016, 21:03
Bring Picaradin. Unlike deet, it helps with black flies.

I found the opposite experience, if it did anything it may have spiced up my skin a bit, gave them something spicy to chew on, but it sure didn't stop them.

nsherry61
06-02-2016, 23:54
I found the opposite experience, if it did anything it may have spiced up my skin a bit, gave them something spicy to chew on, but it sure didn't stop them.
Please note, I was careful not to say it stopped them, but, picaradin can significantly reduce their biting and make coexisting with those blood suckers more tolerable. On the other hand, deet has no effect on then at all that I can tell.

peakbagger
06-03-2016, 06:08
The peak of the black fly season is usually over by Fathers Day so you will be on the tail end. Unfortunately they tend to move up slope as they leave so you may still encounter bad spots. A head net weighs little and sometimes makes all the difference. The best product out there is 3M Ultrathon. Its time release and last longer than normal DEET while running a lower concentration.

moldy
06-03-2016, 08:08
Camp as high as you can if the evening bugs are bad on a wind exposed ridge if it's not storming.

Del Q
06-04-2016, 19:34
Thanks, I will get some of that bug repellent and plan on taking a head net - kind of humorous, have two for some reason and never used them so far in 10 years on the AT.

egilbe
06-04-2016, 20:20
Thanks, I will get some of that bug repellent and plan on taking a head net - kind of humorous, have two for some reason and never used them so far in 10 years on the AT.

I spent time in the jungles of Central America and only in Maine have I ever needed a bugnet.

Del Q
06-07-2016, 20:46
Me too, wilderness camp 44 years ago, YIKES I am getting old, crap.........anyway, Maine skeeters were nuts. We might have well been eating citronella soup, we bathed in it.

Have been working out so I will just try to outrun them

peakbagger
06-08-2016, 05:44
Black flies seem to have passed but the skitters are back