PDA

View Full Version : PCT sleeping pad and water filter

ShelterLeopard
06-04-2016, 13:08
Hey y'all, quick gear questions:

I'm modifying my gear for my PCT thru for 2017, and I've got two questions: what do y'all use for sleeping pads and water filtration?

I usually use a neoair with a super thin foam pad on top for sleeping pad (and sometimes one on the bottom- I like a comfy sleep setup), but I don't know how a neoair will hold up in the desert.

Also, I've been switching over to the sawyer mini filter (with aquamira as a backup), but I can't imagine that it'll hold up well if there are tons of really questionable water sources- it's done fine with the springs on the AT, but should I switch to a katadyn hiker pro for the PCT? Thanks :)

Dogwood
06-04-2016, 14:02
I've hiked in all the U.S. deserts with many a sharp spined plants, etc to puncture a Neo Air and only had a puncture once when it blew into a stand of Joshua Trees using just a polycro groundsheet or no groundsheet. And consider on all those hikes my Neo Air Shortie was my ULA CDT's or MLD Burn's suspension. It wasn't the end of the world having a pin hole in the Neo Air when on the PCT. Two days of choosing to sleep in sandy places while throwing a carried scrap of McNett's Tenacious Tape over the pin hole and at the next town stop quick setting Aqua Seal or McNett's Seam Grip fixed the leak permanently.

lonehiker
06-04-2016, 14:20
I used a mini on a 640 mile section last year from Agua Dulce to Echo Lake and it worked fine. I did back flush it about every other day. Have used a Neo Air for my ~1,00 miles on the PCT with no puncture. I do use a cheap walmart blue pad under the Neo Air.

lonehiker
06-04-2016, 14:21
~1,100 miles.

garlic08
06-04-2016, 18:03
You must be very careful with an inflatable, but it is possible. I'm not that careful. At least the PCT doesn't have whitethorn acacia.

I've no experience with Sawyers. The CDT and the AZT are different, but I don't remember much scuzzy, scummy cattle water on the PCT.

Dogwood
06-04-2016, 18:32
You must be very careful with an inflatable, but it is possible. I'm not that careful. At least the PCT doesn't have whitethorn acacia.

I've no experience with Sawyers. The CDT and the AZT are different, but I don't remember much scuzzy, scummy cattle water on the PCT.

Acacia, mesquite, and barrel cactus oh my. Manzanita spurs too.

Do you remember that scuzzy cattle pond on the northern end of Hat Creek Rim? Drank out of that. Chased cattle away from the pond including two who were standing in the pond. I say pond but it was more a shallow wildlife guzzler depression. The water tasted like cattle shart.

How about some of those scummed over cattle troughs on the CDT?

Venchka
06-04-2016, 19:11
Yum! I'll bring the Doritos.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

garlic08
06-04-2016, 20:01
Acacia, mesquite, and barrel cactus oh my. Manzanita spurs too.

Do you remember that scuzzy cattle pond on the northern end of Hat Creek Rim? Drank out of that. Chased cattle away from the pond including two who were standing in the pond. I say pond but it was more a shallow wildlife guzzler depression. The water tasted like cattle shart.

I carried 35 miles of water over Hat Creek Rim to avoid that, I guess. It has been a dozen years. CDT in central NM was pretty rough. On the AZT, I literally had to push my way through a herd of Bruce Babbitt's thirsty bulls, and wade out into mud. Compared to those, the PCT was pristine, I thought.

Sonoran Desert vegetation is rougher on gear (and shins), for sure. I loved it the first time I heard the name of the shindagger agave. I thought it was a hiker nickname, until I saw it labelled that way at the botanical parks in Phoenix and Tuscon.

jefals
06-04-2016, 20:15
I like the Katahdin (sp?) better than the Sawyer mini. I also got a pinhole in my inflatable, and I could tape it -- IF I could find it. I bought a new one and shipped the old one home, and even in the comfort of my backyard, hosing the thing down, I STILL can not find the hole! So, I think I'll look into those foldable pads....

ShelterLeopard
06-04-2016, 22:02
Thanks, y'all!!

LuckyMan
06-05-2016, 10:36
Recently finished PCT SoCal, have also hiked PCT Sierras, Neoair Xlite short worked fine. I do not like the Sawyer Mini, frequently clogs, and steripen is a Chinese piece of junk with horrible customer "support." I use Aquamira and screen floaties when necessary with a knee-high stocking from the dollar store.

Rctic
06-17-2016, 02:00
I like the Katahdin (sp?) better than the Sawyer mini. I also got a pinhole in my inflatable, and I could tape it -- IF I could find it. I bought a new one and shipped the old one home, and even in the comfort of my backyard, hosing the thing down, I STILL can not find the hole! So, I think I'll look into those foldable pads....

Hi! I knew I could contribute here, so tossed together an account real quick -

Jefals, you can try the following to locate the hole in your sleeping pad:

Mix together some dish soap and water in a bucket until some bubbles are seen
Inflate your punctured sleeping pad as best as you can.
Cover the sleeping pad in the soapy-water
Press down on the pad. The hole should begin expelling air, causing the soapy-water to form bubbles in that area. Look for these bubbles.

Hopefully, this is of help and you can have an extra sleeping pad now!

Also, I'm just getting into hiking these last few weeks, so its nice to meet you guys. Hope to see you around more!

Maydog
06-17-2016, 08:28

So what filter/water treatment did you use in these cow commodes?

Dogwood
06-17-2016, 13:23
Found where the water contained less floaters, looked cleaner. It was tough though as it was only a shallow watering hole. Lots of slimy scum was growing in the pond too. Filtered the water out of the majority of floaties with a bandana. Stored water in a 2.4 L platypus. Treated heavily strengthening the concentration of two part AM drops into that volume of water. Shook to distribute AM solution in water. Let water sit additional time from AM directions on bottle and settle out whatever remaining small particles. Decantered/skimmed visually clear water from top of Platy into another water receptacle. Never intentionally ate cow short but I assume this water tasted like cow shart but it was a blazing hot 102* and I had been hinting at a brisk pace. I've experienced this out west in cattle country more times than I can recall. Most folks have no idea the environmental damage cattle and livestock have. Modern industrialized commercial chicken and pig farms are notorious for contaminating water too.

Maydog
06-17-2016, 16:21
Good to know. I day hike 3-4 times per week here in Israel/Palestine. Most days it's just a 2 hour hike, but once a week I try to get 5-6 hours in. Lately it has been over 100 degrees Fahrenheit most days. So far I've filtered water (Sawyer Mini) from a clear stream, and from an aqueduct. Haven't had to drink the water from the aqueduct yet, but it was my reserve water one day. I'm a little hesitant because although the water looks pretty clear, goats and donkeys walk along the aqueduct daily and there is goat poop everywhere. Goats and donkeys drink from it as well. Some of the poop has to be going into the aqueduct.

Not sure if the Sawyer Mini will work OK in this situation or not, and I didn't bring any chlorine drops. Guess I could put some bleach in a small container and use that in conjunction with the filter. (Sorry for the hijack, Leopard.)

AlpineKevin
07-05-2016, 20:50
I hate the NeoAir. In the store for 30 min it always felt firm no matter how much I deflated it. And I felt 2 inches off the ground and since I have a big wide upper body my arms would just dangle off it. I went with a ThermaRest ProLite. At 240lbs it feels good to me and my arms can just lay on the ground with no big vertical uncomfortable gap.

For water filtration:

Survivor Filter PRO - 0.01 Micron Nanofiltration Water Purifier.
Lighter than anything and filters %1000 better then the next best. Fliters so small it filters viruses.