PDA

View Full Version : Approximate time to hike New York( 1369 miles)to Hanover/ Hanover to Katahdin

Hoofit
06-04-2016, 19:25
Just want to throw this out there:

I am returning to the trail July 20th and hope to finish by early October, having had my 2010 thru hike attempt cut short by Lyme Disease.....
I was averaging 15 to 20 miles a day after the first month or so out of Springer and have gotten pretty fit again minus those superhuman trail legs that only hiking seems to produce.
So, having said that, and admitting I am average fit and 62 now, taking about one zero a week, do you think it is reasonable :
1: To expect to reach Hanover by the beginning of September?
2: Is that going to leave me enough time to reach Katahdin by Mid October?
Lots of variables I know but assuming no major injuries/ setbacks, is this feasible or am I leaving things a bit late?
The terrain is definitely going to be easier early on, when I'll be regaining my trail legs and I will be carrying a much lighter load this time around.
I guess my main concern is whether I have left enough time to get from Hanover to Katahdin before they close up for the winter in mid October.
Any thoughts from those of you that have been there/ done that would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks for taking the time to read this!

(I would leave sooner but we have our annual family fishing trip in the Florida Keys in early July and I would hate to miss out on all that fresh Mahi and yellowtail snapper!)

rafe
06-04-2016, 20:06
Just walk, at whatever pace works for you. After Labor Day, start keeping tabs on Maine weather. If it looks like you're running out of time, hop north to Baxter, climb Katahdin and then walk south. Aka, the original flip-flop hike, born of necessity (winter closing in.)

Hoofit
06-04-2016, 21:00
Just walk, at whatever pace works for you. After Labor Day, start keeping tabs on Maine weather. If it looks like you're running out of time, hop north to Baxter, climb Katahdin and then walk south. Aka, the original flip-flop hike, born of necessity (winter closing in.)

Yep, that is an option though I really would like to end up on top of Katahdin !

map man
06-04-2016, 21:33
You have 820 miles of trail left. July 20 to October 15 is 88 days. So you would only need to average 9.3 miles per day to finish October 15. Given the type of hiker you describe yourself as in your 2010 hike, the modest goal of averaging 9 miles per day on the really challenging 230 mile stretch between Glenclif NH and East Flagstaff Road ME, and 12 miles per day on the other 590 miles of trail, would have you finishing by October 1.

Seems to me if you avoid major injury or illness your goal is reasonable and within your capabilities without having to feel rushed in any way. I wish you good fortune.

Hoofit
06-06-2016, 03:36
You have 820 miles of trail left. July 20 to October 15 is 88 days. So you would only need to average 9.3 miles per day to finish October 15. Given the type of hiker you describe yourself as in your 2010 hike, the modest goal of averaging 9 miles per day on the really challenging 230 mile stretch between Glenclif NH and East Flagstaff Road ME, and 12 miles per day on the other 590 miles of trail, would have you finishing by October 1.

Seems to me if you avoid major injury or illness your goal is reasonable and within your capabilities without having to feel rushed in any way. I wish you good fortune.

Well thanks, you helped me answer my concerns..I ' m pretty sure I can log some very extra miles before I get to Hanover, just a little unclear where the toughest stretch was, or whether it was all the way to Maine. A 230 mile section is really not so far....But I will try to push ahead a little to give myself some leeway towards Oct 15th, in case of ankle/ knee injuries.
Thanks for getting back to me Mapman, I'm really stoked to get back out there !

rafe
06-06-2016, 08:46
"Toughest section" -- begins in Glencliff NH, ends somewhere in Maine. Mapman sets the northern end just north of Bigelow/Avery Peak. My guess, take your best, most optimistic daily mileage and cut it by a third.

Hoofit
06-08-2016, 01:03
Well now I am truly looking forward to the challenge from Glencliff , NH....it seems to have earned itself a reputation...fortunately I will have about four hundred miles to get my hiking legs back before I get there in September! May pack a few extra clif bars for that 220 miles!
Thanks for the info!