PDA

View Full Version : Shoe recommendation for Pennsylvania AT section hike

steve_zavocki
06-06-2016, 07:39
Hiking tomorrow from Wind Gap to Delaware Water Gap which is 15.4 miles. I own hiking boots (Merrill) and also hiking shoes (Merrill). Down South on the AT, I always hike in the low cut hiking shoes now. However I have heard that PA is very rocky and hard on the ankles. This is my first time hiking in PA.

Both the shoes and boots are broken in and fit well. Any recommendations.

rocketsocks
06-06-2016, 07:44
I'm runnin' (but not really runnin') brooks cascades 11's w/ballistic rock plate in forefoot, really save the metatarsals.

"run what cha brung" you'll be fine.

Carbo
06-06-2016, 09:03
Just finished the PA section with Merrill boots. They did fine, more important was the focus on foot placement and paying attention to any ankle or foot pain. Rest as needed and keeping your mind fresh on the trail will help you get through.

Good luck on the adventure!
-Carbo

u.w.
06-06-2016, 09:18
I just did from MD (PenMar Park) up to Port Clinton last week (Fri 27 - Thu 2). I started with a more or less new pair of Brooks Ghosts. They're pretty shredded now, lol. The toe ends of the shoes were what took the shredding. As in, the toe areas of both shoes are more gone than there.
Having said that, with the mileage you talking (15.4 miles), I don't think it will matter to much between either of the shoes you're asking about.
Go with the ones that are most comfortable and have the best grip.

Make sure you watch your footing, and most definitely enjoy your hike!

u.w.

Nooga
06-06-2016, 10:53

u.w.

I agree with these comments!

Hang R
06-06-2016, 21:07
With being from Pa I believe people make the rocks out to be worst than they actually are. Wear whatever is comfortable. I have been known to hike in sandals at times just for something different but I prefer either trail runners or low top Keen's.

Malto
06-06-2016, 21:59
I just did from MD (PenMar Park) up to Port Clinton last week (Fri 27 - Thu 2). I started with a more or less new pair of Brooks Ghosts. They're pretty shredded now, lol. The toe ends of the shoes were what took the shredding. As in, the toe areas of both shoes are more gone than there.
Having said that, with the mileage you talking (15.4 miles), I don't think it will matter to much between either of the shoes you're asking about.

u.w.

I accidently forgot my normal trail runners and wore my Ghosts on a 180 mile section near Damascus. My feet felt great, much to my surprise but like yours they got a bit beat down especially the rubber on the toe.

to the OP. Use what has worked for you. That section is rocky but you are doing short mileage. Don't get spooked by the hype.

CalebJ
06-06-2016, 23:33
Hiking tomorrow from Wind Gap to Delaware Water Gap which is 15.4 miles. I own hiking boots (Merrill) and also hiking shoes (Merrill). Down South on the AT, I always hike in the low cut hiking shoes now. However I have heard that PA is very rocky and hard on the ankles. This is my first time hiking in PA.

Both the shoes and boots are broken in and fit well. Any recommendations.
I did that section a few weeks ago in Cascadias and they were easily up to the task. As others said, wear what you're comfortable using normally. The rocks in that section really aren't bad at all.

steve_zavocki
06-27-2016, 17:37
I am home after getting 62 more miles of section hiking in towards my lifetime goal of completing the AT. If I had to do it over, I would definitely wear the boots and recommend that to others. Even though the shoes were good quality Merrill's the rocks did beat my feet up. The boots have a thicker sole and would have been the better choice.

Heading South from DWG after the first 7 miles, I started to think that the whole PA Rocks was overblown. Then it really started and I now understand how challenging it is. There was a storm coming and I had two miles to my truck and found it nearly impossible to rush dealing with all those rocks. Still would love to be there now, then back at work :)