PDA

View Full Version : CDT Class of 2006?

Blister
01-03-2006, 12:26
Just wondering who is planning on being out on the CDT this year. I am still planning on a through hike and continually keep hearing of other folk that will be out either section hiking and/or thru. I'd like to get together some contact info for anyone that will be headed that way. Although I am well aware I most likley not run into folks on trail - I think it would be comforting to keep in touch via email as to what various routes others are taking and their experiences. I am aware of some of the other posting areas on other websites, however using library computers my time online is usually limited and of course I am always checking into whiteblaze, hence starting this thread.

Sly
01-03-2006, 12:34
Next year, like in 2007? I may, but I doubt it for this year 2006. Time to catch up Blister!

kyhipo
01-03-2006, 12:40
I am thinking about the northern strecht,ky

Sly
01-03-2006, 12:54
No fair! ;)

Blister
01-03-2006, 13:05
Gotta love the edit option here on whiteblaze, thanks for pointing out my lack of reality time sly. Love ya brotha!

Mags
01-03-2006, 13:43
I hope to be out there this year. Lessee 4 yrs between the AT and the PCT. It will be four years between the PCT and the CDT.

March will be the telling month!

Spirit Walker
01-03-2006, 14:29
Jim and I will be out there starting end of April, heading north. I can't wait!

Blister
01-04-2006, 12:53
Sat down with Packrat and Homebrew last night and we all kinda have a beginning start northbound around the begining of April. Then we looked at the calander 86 day countdown to leaving New England. So little time and so much to do.........
:banana :banana :banana

Footslogger
01-04-2006, 12:56
We've got a lot on the '06 calendar already but I think you might catch us somewhere between Encampment and Steamboat in August.

Wasn't I supposed to meet you in that section this past year Blister ??

'Slogger

Spirit Walker
01-04-2006, 17:41
IS Salamander still going with you?

Interesting that you are all starting so early. This may be one of the few years that that will work well. Unless they get a lot of snow this spring, we may be able to do a straight north hike.

Sly
01-04-2006, 19:24
Interesting that you are all starting so early. This may be one of the few years that that will work well. Unless they get a lot of snow this spring, we may be able to do a straight north hike.

Yeah, it really doesn't take much to do NM in six or seven weeks which would get you to Cumbres Pass well before June when in a *normal* snow year. Mid June is about right but sometimes pushing it. Or you could do like Karen and Bob did in '02 and zig-zag through NM and really take your time.

Unless it's a low snow year, end of April or beginning of May is your best bet. If it's a high snow year, you may need to flip and mid-April doesn't leave many alternatives. Not to mention possible lingering snow or tough fords in certain parts of NM

liv2play
01-04-2006, 22:21
Hey there, all I have to say is its been snowing now for like 2 weeks straight here in Jackson Wy. Every night it snows like a foot jus insane I read that it has been the one of the snowiest decembers on record the snowboarding has been epic, a southern start would be a wise choice at this point since I hear there is not too much snow in the south san juans to date.

fiddlehead
01-05-2006, 02:19
I think most of the snow in CO
happens in March and April so it's tough to plan for an early start. Anyway, i'm sure you'll have a great time Blister Sister and all. I am heading back tomorrow Blister. YAAAAAAHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

Marta
01-05-2006, 07:41
I think most of the snow in CO
happens in March and April...

Not this year. It has been a record year for snow at Vail. More than 14' already.

The Hog
01-05-2006, 08:40
I'm planning to finish up Montana/ID with a section between Leadore and Yellowstone. When that's complete, I'll be producing a DVD entitled Continental Divide Trail Diary: Montana/Idaho. It should be available in late 2006/early 2007.

Blister
01-26-2006, 15:41
Yes Sal is on board, went to her house last night to print out Jonathan Ley maps. The excitment is building I want to start hiking now!!!!! WWhhhhhaaa!

calearn
01-26-2006, 16:04
I'll be section hiking with my father South through the Winds early August followed by GNP ~mid August.

Special thanks to Jonathan for correcting the GPS numbers in the Winds this year (map 16). It seemed to be an area that last years hikers got misplaced in quite a bit.

Hope to see some of you out there!

Craig
http://www.bobmassefan.com/cdt2005/default.html (http://www.bobmassefan.com/cdt2005/default.html)

justinwp
01-29-2006, 17:26
I'm planning to do the CDT in 2007 or 2008 possibly.