PDA

View Full Version : parking the car in Campo

jefals
06-06-2016, 12:43
Well, my first time out there, I came down from the monument and there were roads and trails going off in all directions - so I was lost before I even got started!
So next time, I'm going back -this time armed with Halfmile and guthooks apps. Still, I want to do a "dry run" - go down, park the car and day hike to where the trail crosses 94. I think that's maybe 3 miles, so about a 6 mile hike, which should take somewhere between 2 and 3 hours...
Just concerned about leaving my car on the side of the road down there for that long. I don't know if there are any "authorities" down there to check with, other than the border patrol....
Advice, anyone?

jefals
06-06-2016, 14:20
follow up...
I did talk with S.D . sheriff's office. they told me I'd probably be ok - but, on the other hand, it's real easy for unattended cars to disappear across the border down there! OUCH!
So, plan B. I'll look into driving to S.D. and getting a ride back and forth from there.

frisbeefreek
06-07-2016, 21:12
There is a border patrol and sheriff office in Campo, about a mile north of the terminus. The trail literally walks by the patrol. It's not my car, but I'd be ok leaving it there for a couple of daylight hours.

wormer
06-08-2016, 17:13
I agree with frisbeefreek about parking in the border patrol lot, being a good idea. I was given permission by a border patrol agent to park there after a early morning check by the border patrol near the fence last fall. Once they knew that I was hiking near the PCT marker area, they were quite nice about it. If I go there again and needed parking I would stop at the border patrol building and get verbal permission to park my rental there rather than them coming to me.

jefals
06-08-2016, 19:58
That's great. if those guys will let me park in that lot, that's perfect. meanwhile, the pcta folks told me that the folks at the trading post are also good about letting you park in their lot. But I'd feel a lot better parking in that border patrol lot!