PDA

View Full Version : Hiker with back issues on a 3-4 weekend

RoamingGentile
06-06-2016, 16:36
Since July 4th this year falls on a Monday. I should have a 4 day weekend. I've always want to do a section hike on the AT from Springer to Neels Gap since it will be a long time before I can do a thru hike of it. However with that being said, this would really be my first real hike. I have done day hikes in the past. Since those day hike were a long time ago I now have a few bulged disks in my lower back and know that I will not be doing any 15 mile days for a long time. Dose a 3 day trip From Springer to Neels Gap seem doable using the 4th of July as a extra day if need be for someone who may hike slow? I have not decided if I will have my wife drop me and a friend off on Springer or trow in an extra day and just start on the approach trail. Still trying to think about that one. I will be using a hammock most of the time and have been collecting light weight gear for a long time. So I should not be over weighted by my gear. Any advise would be great.

Teacher & Snacktime
06-06-2016, 17:14
I plan on tackling the same section in October....approx 32 miles from Springer to Neel Gap. In 4 days that's an average of 8 mi. per day....with the 1st 8 the easiest (Springer to Hawk Mtn. Shelter). I'm really slow, and planning to take 5 days :)

RoamingGentile
06-06-2016, 21:17
Same here. I also tend to over think things too. The down hills don't bother me but I know I will be slow on the up hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
06-06-2016, 21:24
1. No problem doing 30 miles in 4 days.

2. Keep your pack weight on your hips, not your shoulders, shouldnt be a problem.

3. Have a great time.

KidA24
06-07-2016, 08:20
You should be okay, but get out and at least do a day hike with your gear on your back before the trip. You don't want to get 2 or 3 miles in and realize you've got debilitating pain.

RoamingGentile
06-07-2016, 10:32
You should be okay, but get out and at least do a day hike with your gear on your back before the trip. You don't want to get 2 or 3 miles in and realize you've got debilitating pain.

I agree. I have very steep climb into the wood behind my house that I like to use. The pack I am using is the Osprey 65 AG. it feels very secure on my hips when having it on. Now trying to decide on getting dropped off on springer or do the approach trail to make it easier being dropped off.

MuddyWaters
06-07-2016, 11:27
Falls at amicalola is highlight of ga.
Approach. Is just like any other se at trail.

At least go see falls, even if dont hike approach. But why not? Its a couple hrs.

RoamingGentile
06-07-2016, 14:13
Yea love the falls there. I was there a few months ago and my kids wanted to hike the top of the falls trail. After doing that I would rather tackle the stairs. LOL

The Cleaner
06-07-2016, 21:25
IMO anyone with back problems should avoid hammocks like the plague.My lower back is shot,I have 5 lumbar discs with various problems.Laying flat on a firm surface (ThermaRest Prolite on the ground) actually helps me recover a bit.

rocketsocks
06-07-2016, 23:41
IMO anyone with back problems should avoid hammocks like the plague.My lower back is shot,I have 5 lumbar discs with various problems.Laying flat on a firm surface (ThermaRest Prolite on the ground) actually helps me recover a bit.
I agree, can't move around and stretch out the kinks in a hammock, imo.

Hoofit
06-08-2016, 01:11
You may want to start at Springer rather than the approach trail...seemed to me to be a pretty steep beginning for someone not just starting out but also with disc problems. But hey, Just a thought, I've only hiked that section the one time. Enjoy!

daddytwosticks
06-08-2016, 07:07
You may want to start at Springer rather than the approach trail...seemed to me to be a pretty steep beginning for someone not just starting out but also with disc problems. But hey, Just a thought, I've only hiked that section the one time. Enjoy!

I agree. Plenty of places to bail out if the going gets tough. Woody Gap may be a good place to end this section hike. :)

FlyPaper
06-08-2016, 10:30
I've dealt with lower back pain often in the last 15 years. It's ironic that sitting at a desk all day is so bad for your back, while carrying a heavy backpack and walking long distances seems to actually be helpful for your back. Of course, all back injuries are different and results may vary.

Sleeping on the trail is a different challenge though and not to be taken too lightly.

Connie
06-08-2016, 15:07
I remember the first time I tried on a Dana Designs "Bighorn" pack. I thought I can do this.

I had been backpacking, but I had been in a car wreck.

I recovered a lot, but I wasn't certain I could try it without paying a high price.

I didn't purchase that pack. It seemed small.

I do recommend getting a "good fit" and mountain shops often, now, have someone trained to make the minor adjustments once the right pack is found.

Leo L.
06-08-2016, 16:27
I had pain in the lower back, varying from light to severe, over the last 20 years.
After one of my longer and more strenuos desert trips (starting with a pack weight of 25kg) the pain in the back was completely gone for several months, but it came back while sitting in the office 10hrs every day.
Now that I stopped office work in favor of manual work the pain in the back seems to be gone for good.
The human body is not designed for to sit in the office the whole day.

RoamingGentile
06-09-2016, 08:05
Well glade to say. I took a 2 night trip to test out my Kelty Noah 12 tarp and use my Sub7 hammock. Man i got better sleep this last weekend than I have had in a long time. The hammock took a lot of pressure off my lower back. I do need to get my pac setting adjusted a little bit,or atlas make sure they are right by me adjusting them. I may try taking it by an outfitters this weekend.