PDA

View Full Version : I conquered the PMT... but it broke my heart

Lnj
06-06-2016, 16:44
Did the PMT Memorial Day weekend. 7 miles per day, 42lbs on my stupid back, and I survived, if just barely. Its a beautiful trail.. and it's hard as crap for an old fat lady carrying WAAAAYYYY too much pack weight....... But I did it.:p:cool:

I just wonder... how does the PMT compare to the AT? If it's comparable, I know now that I am not yet ready for the AT. I shall keep on training and doing the weekend shake downs. I will say, I learned a wealth of information with this one. There is no education like experience.

saltysack
06-06-2016, 17:02
Need to start hitting the gym...weight train with cardio...total body strength helps me do higher mileage days without issues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tipi Walter
06-06-2016, 17:07
I looked thru the info on the Pine Mt Trail (is this the one you're talking about?) and found a PMT website with shocking news that would break anyone's heart: It costs $10 per night for every backpacker. And $5 a day to park your car. So, let me see, on a typical 20 day trip I would have to fork out . . . uh . . . $300 just to visit olde Pine Mountain Trail. I hope this is not the trail you're talking about. ???

Teacher & Snacktime
06-06-2016, 17:10
From one Fat Old Lady to another: I have no idea what the PMT is or how it compares to the AT, but if you were able to carry 42 lbs on your back for 3 days without complete collapse and/or injury, then I wouldn't be intimidated by the AT (except maybe New England). I'm not saying you'll enjoy it all the time, but if you lower your pack weight you should manage just fine. The only time I ever had real trouble was on a winter hike where I had too much weight (in the 30's is my limit) resulting in my not being able to continue. However, on easier overnights, day hikes, etc. there's nothing on the AT that I haven't been able to handle....so far...and I'm confident that if I recognize my own limitations and adjust methods accordingly that will remain true.

So don't worry about the AT....you can do it....it's there for everyone of all levels. Enjoy it, and know that there's someone here on WB who's already impressed by your accomplishments!

soumodeler
06-06-2016, 17:45
The Pine Mountain Trail is a flat, paved sidewalk compared to the AT in Georgia...

If you struggled on the PMT, you should reconsider the AT until you are able to do a 15-20 mile day on the PMT with ease. Get your pack weight down first of all, and work on your training in the gym and cardio.

Hikingjim
06-06-2016, 17:58
i assume you're not referring to a thru-hike yet? you could get into a bit better shape then do an easier section of the AT to start

if you're doing a summer hike, there's no reason to carry more than 30-35 lbs, even if your gear is bulky/heavy and synethetic
Then if you add some better gear in the future the weight will drop down considerably from there

Lnj
06-07-2016, 12:26
I looked thru the info on the Pine Mt Trail (is this the one you're talking about?) and found a PMT website with shocking news that would break anyone's heart: It costs $10 per night for every backpacker. And $5 a day to park your car. So, let me see, on a typical 20 day trip I would have to fork out . . . uh . . . $300 just to visit olde Pine Mountain Trail. I hope this is not the trail you're talking about. ???

Yep Tipi. That's the one, but you would never spend 20 days there. The whole PMT thru is only 23 miles. There are a total of 400 miles in loops and other trails in FDR State Park, where the PMT is located, but the PMT itself isn't that long. It cost us $25 for the whole weekend and we had 2 cars, one parked at each end. You pro-hikers would have done this in a day. It took us 3 days and 2 hours and it was the hardest thing I have ever done. It re-established my mind in the firm knowledge that I am QUITE the newbie. Really psyched me out because I did the Kennesaw Mountain trail loop in a day, with a probably 30 pound pack and it was just shy of 17 miles. I thought averaging 7 miles a day on this would be a breeze...a luxurious stroll. I stand, stooped and corrected.

Lnj
06-07-2016, 12:28
From one Fat Old Lady to another: I have no idea what the PMT is or how it compares to the AT, but if you were able to carry 42 lbs on your back for 3 days without complete collapse and/or injury, then I wouldn't be intimidated by the AT (except maybe New England). I'm not saying you'll enjoy it all the time, but if you lower your pack weight you should manage just fine. The only time I ever had real trouble was on a winter hike where I had too much weight (in the 30's is my limit) resulting in my not being able to continue. However, on easier overnights, day hikes, etc. there's nothing on the AT that I haven't been able to handle....so far...and I'm confident that if I recognize my own limitations and adjust methods accordingly that will remain true.

So don't worry about the AT....you can do it....it's there for everyone of all levels. Enjoy it, and know that there's someone here on WB who's already impressed by your accomplishments!

Oh thank you so much!!!! That means more to me than it should. :)

Lnj
06-07-2016, 12:32
The Pine Mountain Trail is a flat, paved sidewalk compared to the AT in Georgia...

If you struggled on the PMT, you should reconsider the AT until you are able to do a 15-20 mile day on the PMT with ease. Get your pack weight down first of all, and work on your training in the gym and cardio.

That is exactly what I took away from this experience. I truly believe that this would have been a very VERY different hike for me if I shed at least 10 pounds from my pack. I mean I was really ok until the last day, and honestly the break for me was more mental than physical. I wasn't mentally prepared for that last day. I had it in my head it would be easy compared to the last couple of days and when it wasn't, it broke my spirit and I begrudged every step to the end. I also learned the valuable lesson of not asking for listening to anyone else tell me what lies ahead. Just assume the worst and be pleasantly surprised when you beat it.

Lnj
06-07-2016, 12:35
i assume you're not referring to a thru-hike yet? you could get into a bit better shape then do an easier section of the AT to start

if you're doing a summer hike, there's no reason to carry more than 30-35 lbs, even if your gear is bulky/heavy and synethetic
Then if you add some better gear in the future the weight will drop down considerably from there

It was a thru of the PMT, but the PMT is not a long trail. I was only ever planning to do the AT in sections. I originally planned to do just the GA to Deep Gap, NC section in about 10 days, averaging about 10 miles days, because I can't ever be out of work more than a week at a time. BUT... I know now that I am not ready for even that just yet. I am going back to the PMT and doing it again... and again and again until I kick it in the rocks!! Then I will look toward that GA section of the AT.

cmoulder
06-07-2016, 13:47
Imagine that same hike carrying 14lbs. :D

Check out Mike Clelland's videos on youtube for ideas to seriously lighten your pack without spending a lot of money.

Lnj
06-07-2016, 13:58
I will. Thank you. I already know of several things I can and will do. We brought WAAYYY too much food and that stuff is heavy. On a true LD hike like the AT, I might have actually needed it, but on just a 3 nighter, we never hit hiker hunger. We forced ourselves to eat some soup the last night and didn't even eat half of it. No need for big meals on a long weekend hike when you aren't even hungry.

illabelle
06-07-2016, 14:13
Lnj,
Don't get discouraged. My husband and I have done almost 1300 miles of the AT, and we have completed exactly one 20-mile day. Most of the time we average closer to 10.
Over time we have learned to carry less weight, and maybe we've gotten a little tougher/stronger, but by no stretch of the imagination are we hard-bodied lean hiking machines. We've lost some weight, and gained it back. Hills are still a lot of work. Knees and hips and other joints are grateful for the rest at the end of the day.
I don't want to see you push yourself beyond what you can enjoy, but please don't think the AT has some sort of physical entrance exam you have to pass. Just get yourself up to Springer and walk as far and as slow as you want to. It ain't gonna kill you. It'll just make you sweat.

Lnj
06-07-2016, 14:23
Lnj,
Don't get discouraged. My husband and I have done almost 1300 miles of the AT, and we have completed exactly one 20-mile day. Most of the time we average closer to 10.
Over time we have learned to carry less weight, and maybe we've gotten a little tougher/stronger, but by no stretch of the imagination are we hard-bodied lean hiking machines. We've lost some weight, and gained it back. Hills are still a lot of work. Knees and hips and other joints are grateful for the rest at the end of the day.
I don't want to see you push yourself beyond what you can enjoy, but please don't think the AT has some sort of physical entrance exam you have to pass. Just get yourself up to Springer and walk as far and as slow as you want to. It ain't gonna kill you. It'll just make you sweat.

I will admit, the PMT was a shock to my system. I really thought I could do that with no problem. Truth is, I DID do it with no injury and no real problem. It just HURT MY FEELINGS! I really struggled more than I thought I would. Plus, my husband is in about the same shape that I am in. We are well matched physically, but he is retired Army... Drill Sargent. He believes in pushing through the pain and just keep moving no matter what, which puts pressure on me who believes in short power spurts in between stops to catch my breath and let the fire in my calves die down. This is on the up-hills. We both lost about 10 pounds of weight in those 3 days, but I have since worked hard to get it back :). Outback cheesefries called to me on the trail. I know I don't have to be lean and mean to get it done... and I most certainly won't be. But I do need to be able to average a 10 mile day every day, with no zeros, in order to be able to complete a decent section in the one week of off time that I would get to do it in. That's what I am working for. No grandiose dreams of a hiking hard body here for sure! But my husband will not let me go alone (and I truthfully don't even want to) andhe won't go with me until I get in better shape because he doesn't like having to stop and wait on me.

Gambit McCrae
06-07-2016, 14:29
I have found that the line between capable, and comfortable is not as fine of a line as most perceive. Can I do? or can I do it comfortably? I believe that just about anyone can successfully complete a 30 mile trip on the Appalachian trail on a 2.5 day time period. Especially on the southern 75% of trail. food, water, shelter ..one foot in front of the other will get you there. Now you might not be comfortable, but that is irrelevant to ability.

Berserker
06-07-2016, 15:27
This may be a dumb question, but what about doing some day hikes on the AT. Being in Canton you don't appear to be far from the AT, and could just get out there on some weekends with a day pack. That's what I've done with some of the sections close to where I live up here in VA.

Also, don't get discouraged. I've been exercising most of my life, and even with regular exercise age is starting to make things harder. I've noticed that each year it takes just a little longer to get into trail shape, and this year has been particularly tough. So hang in there and just keep plugging away at it.

Lnj
06-07-2016, 15:30
True GM. I know that I will definitely feel it and that's actually half the fun of it for me. I feel good about getting a good workout when walking. I just don't want the "feeling it" to overwhelm the "seeing it" and the joy of it for me. The last day of the PMT took my joy. It was a death march and all I wanted was off of it. That's where the line was crossed for me. I want to be able to do it and still be smiling and able to laugh at the end of the day... after I catch my breath of course.

Lnj
06-07-2016, 15:33
This may be a dumb question, but what about doing some day hikes on the AT. Being in Canton you don't appear to be far from the AT, and could just get out there on some weekends with a day pack. That's what I've done with some of the sections close to where I live up here in VA.

Also, don't get discouraged. I've been exercising most of my life, and even with regular exercise age is starting to make things harder. I've noticed that each year it takes just a little longer to get into trail shape, and this year has been particularly tough. So hang in there and just keep plugging away at it.

Thanks! I definitely will. I have a revenge hiking goal now to BEAT the PMT. Then I will be back on the AT planning stages. I really do like the camping out at night part but maybe I can just spend a weekend doing the approach to Springer section sometime soon.

perdidochas
06-07-2016, 15:48
Did the PMT Memorial Day weekend. 7 miles per day, 42lbs on my stupid back, and I survived, if just barely. Its a beautiful trail.. and it's hard as crap for an old fat lady carrying WAAAAYYYY too much pack weight....... But I did it.:p:cool:

I just wonder... how does the PMT compare to the AT? If it's comparable, I know now that I am not yet ready for the AT. I shall keep on training and doing the weekend shake downs. I will say, I learned a wealth of information with this one. There is no education like experience.

PMT is a good trail to learn to backpack on. It was the first I ever backpacked on.

Tipi Walter
06-07-2016, 16:02
Yep Tipi. That's the one, but you would never spend 20 days there. The whole PMT thru is only 23 miles. There are a total of 400 miles in loops and other trails in FDR State Park, where the PMT is located, but the PMT itself isn't that long.

With 400 miles of possible trails and loops (including the PMT?) I think I could pull a long trip in there. As far as the Actual PMT being only 23 miles, well, I pride myself on being able to stretch a 23 mile trail into 10 days. I like to set SKT records---Slowest Known Times.

I will admit, the PMT was a shock to my system. I really thought I could do that with no problem. Truth is, I DID do it with no injury and no real problem. It just HURT MY FEELINGS! I really struggled more than I thought I would. Plus, my husband is in about the same shape that I am in. We are well matched physically, but he is retired Army... Drill Sargent. He believes in pushing through the pain and just keep moving no matter what,

Reminds me of an apt quote from the movie Heartbreak Hill with Clint Eastwood and the USMC. About a Korean War battle a main character says:

"It ain't in any of the history books. Just a little piece of war. Stony Jackson took one look up and said, "Ladies, if it don't kill us, it will surely break our hearts."

We might not see combat but for a backpacker many mountain climbs have broken our hearts.

I like your comment, "It just hurt my feelings." I can't count the number of times a trail or a mountain or a ginormous pack weight hurt my feelings; Miss Nature always has a way of hurting my feelings as She's an expert in pushing my buttons. Then again, after a 3,000 foot nutbusting climb with an 85 lb pack She often produces a rich elixir shot mix of adrenaline and endorphins directly into the brain and it always leaves me goofy, incoherent, stumbling, cross-eyed and howling like a spider monkey being chased by a silverback gorilla in a personal lubricant factory.

Hurt feelings happen on every trip. This won't ever change.

This is what I look like on most of my trips---

http://www.kikiunhinged.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Jack-in-Cuckoos-Nest.jpg

soumodeler
06-07-2016, 16:07
The 400 miles is a typo. There are 42 miles total in FDR State Park.

Tipi Walter
06-07-2016, 16:15
The 400 miles is a typo. There are 42 miles total in FDR State Park.

Okay, with 42 miles I could stretch a trip out to 10 days @ 4 miles a day.

Maydog
06-07-2016, 16:23
Try to get some type of regular exercise, not just hiking in the mountains when you get a chance. Canton is fairly hilly. Just put on that heavy pack and go walk around your neighborhood for an hour a few times per week. Our get into an exercise class 4-5 days per week. Consistency is the key to getting into better shape. Keep on truckin'!

Lnj
06-07-2016, 16:43
With 400 miles of possible trails and loops (including the PMT?) I think I could pull a long trip in there. As far as the Actual PMT being only 23 miles, well, I pride myself on being able to stretch a 23 mile trail into 10 days. I like to set SKT records---Slowest Known Times.

Reminds me of an apt quote from the movie Heartbreak Hill with Clint Eastwood and the USMC. About a Korean War battle a main character says:

"It ain't in any of the history books. Just a little piece of war. Stony Jackson took one look up and said, "Ladies, if it don't kill us, it will surely break our hearts."

We might not see combat but for a backpacker many mountain climbs have broken our hearts.

I like your comment, "It just hurt my feelings." I can't count the number of times a trail or a mountain or a ginormous pack weight hurt my feelings; Miss Nature always has a way of hurting my feelings as She's an expert in pushing my buttons. Then again, after a 3,000 foot nutbusting climb with an 85 lb pack She often produces a rich elixir shot mix of adrenaline and endorphins directly into the brain and it always leaves me goofy, incoherent, stumbling, cross-eyed and howling like a spider monkey being chased by a silverback gorilla in a personal lubricant factory.

Hurt feelings happen on every trip. This won't ever change.

This is what I look like on most of my trips---

http://www.kikiunhinged.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Jack-in-Cuckoos-Nest.jpg

ROTFL!! It sounds like I could hike just fine with you. I like slow too... and stop a minute please... the hubby is on a mission. Thank you so much Tipi! this made me laugh and feel a whole lot better. I consider you one of the pros and I'm glad I'm not alone in how I felt that last day.

Berserker
06-07-2016, 16:46
Thanks! I definitely will. I have a revenge hiking goal now to BEAT the PMT. Then I will be back on the AT planning stages. I really do like the camping out at night part but maybe I can just spend a weekend doing the approach to Springer section sometime soon.
Yeah, my main point was that you were asking about the comparison between the two trails, so I'm assuming you have not been on the AT. If that's the case then I suggested the day hiking as a way to get some AT mileage in and take some of the mystery out of it for you without potentially getting in over your head on a multi-day hike. But a low mileage multi-day hike would surely be another way to get out there and get some camping in, so do whatever you feel comfortable with and have fun.

Lnj
06-07-2016, 16:57
Yeah, my main point was that you were asking about the comparison between the two trails, so I'm assuming you have not been on the AT. If that's the case then I suggested the day hiking as a way to get some AT mileage in and take some of the mystery out of it for you without potentially getting in over your head on a multi-day hike. But a low mileage multi-day hike would surely be another way to get out there and get some camping in, so do whatever you feel comfortable with and have fun.

Correct. I have not done a section of the AT yet. I have been up and back down Blood Mtn. on a quick day hike once, but I haven't done an end to end section yet. I will do that soon. Thanks.

Lnj
06-07-2016, 17:01
Yeah, correction... that is 40, not 400 miles in FDR. HA! That 23 felt like 230 to me though!

Casual
06-07-2016, 19:55

I hope you like road noise.

The problem with the PMT is that you're only ever a mile or two from a state highway (GA 190) at any point, and usually a lot closer than that. The road is fairly twisty, with a couple nice overlooks, so it attracts crowds of "loud pipes" folks on every weekend with decent weather.
I always feel a bit restricted on the PMT - you must pre-file your campsite plan, and be in those sites at dark. I once made a last minute change of campsites, and had a ranger stomping into my campsite at dusk, demanding an explanation.
In also think that the local trail association is a bit hostile to backpackers - expect to get gruffly interrogated if you run across one of their work parties.

Having said all that, it's a great place for us middle-GA folks to do shake down hikes. My front door to the PMT is 40 mins, versus 2-3hrs for the AT. The terrain is like the AT, but with the difficulty dialed down several notches. You're also never far from a bail-out point if you get into trouble.

No Directions
06-07-2016, 20:09
I love the PMT. I haven't thru hiked it but I have done plenty of day hikes and one nighters. As others have said it is nothing compared to the AT. No real steep climbs on the AT and the highest elevation in the whole park is only 1600'. I believe if you had a 10# lighter pack it wouldn't have hurt as much. Did you happen to stay at my favorite campsite, Brown Dog Campsite?

No Directions
06-07-2016, 20:11
It's a State Park so you have to pay parking. Or you can get an annual pass for $50 ($35 for seniors:)). Then back country camping is $9/night.

Teacher & Snacktime
06-07-2016, 20:39
I will admit, the PMT was a shock to my system. I really thought I could do that with no problem. Truth is, I DID do it with no injury and no real problem. It just HURT MY FEELINGS! I really struggled more than I thought I would. Plus, my husband is in about the same shape that I am in. We are well matched physically, but he is retired Army... Drill Sargent. He believes in pushing through the pain and just keep moving no matter what, which puts pressure on me who believes in short power spurts in between stops to catch my breath and let the fire in my calves die down. This is on the up-hills. We both lost about 10 pounds of weight in those 3 days, but I have since worked hard to get it back :). Outback cheesefries called to me on the trail. I know I don't have to be lean and mean to get it done... and I most certainly won't be. But I do need to be able to average a 10 mile day every day, with no zeros, in order to be able to complete a decent section in the one week of off time that I would get to do it in. That's what I am working for. No grandiose dreams of a hiking hard body here for sure! But my husband will not let me go alone (and I truthfully don't even want to) andhe won't go with me until I get in better shape because he doesn't like having to stop and wait on me.

So come hiking with me instead....we can wait for each other! I plan to section in GA this October with a friend and a kid.....Springer to Neel Gap in 4 (or 5) days

saltysack
06-07-2016, 20:40

The problem with the PMT is that you're only ever a mile or two from a state highway (GA 190) at any point, and usually a lot closer than that. The road is fairly twisty, with a couple nice overlooks, so it attracts crowds of "loud pipes" folks on every weekend with decent weather.
I always feel a bit restricted on the PMT - you must pre-file your campsite plan, and be in those sites at dark. I once made a last minute change of campsites, and had a ranger stomping into my campsite at dusk, demanding an explanation.
In also think that the local trail association is a bit hostile to backpackers - expect to get gruffly interrogated if you run across one of their work parties.

Having said all that, it's a great place for us middle-GA folks to do shake down hikes. My front door to the PMT is 40 mins, versus 2-3hrs for the AT. The terrain is like the AT, but with the difficulty dialed down several notches. You're also never far from a bail-out point if you get into trouble.

Sounds like I'd drive the 2-3 hrs to the AT...

Teacher & Snacktime
06-07-2016, 20:56

Yes, Tipi, I'm sure you could stretch it out. But of course you'd make up for the lack of miles by taking the trip during an apocalyptic weather situation such as that enjoyed by Dennis Quaid & company. (I'd pay to see you in that starring role, but of course would settle for the trip report!)

rafe
06-07-2016, 21:38
Sounds like I'd drive the 2-3 hrs to the AT...

Yep, for all its faults the AT is pretty special, at least by east coast standards.

Not that it's totally free of road noise... but mostly, no itinerary required. You're mostly free to roam.

LittleRock
06-08-2016, 09:41
It was a thru of the PMT, but the PMT is not a long trail. I was only ever planning to do the AT in sections. I originally planned to do just the GA to Deep Gap, NC section in about 10 days, averaging about 10 miles days, because I can't ever be out of work more than a week at a time. BUT... I know now that I am not ready for even that just yet. I am going back to the PMT and doing it again... and again and again until I kick it in the rocks!! Then I will look toward that GA section of the AT.

I'd do that trip the other way around if I were you. IMO, the northern half of that section is much harder than the southern half.

If you have 10 days, I recommend starting at Amicalola Falls and shooting for Neel's Gap in 4 days, stopping at Mountain Crossings for resupply and possibly a zero day, then hiking another 5-6 days to Deep Gap.

Lnj
06-08-2016, 11:08

True about the road and noise. There is no real "wilderness" feel while listening to Harleys roll by every 10 minutes.

Lnj
06-08-2016, 11:10
I love the PMT. I haven't thru hiked it but I have done plenty of day hikes and one nighters. As others have said it is nothing compared to the AT. No real steep climbs on the AT and the highest elevation in the whole park is only 1600'. I believe if you had a 10# lighter pack it wouldn't have hurt as much. Did you happen to stay at my favorite campsite, Brown Dog Campsite?

Yep, I sure did. That was our last night's campsite. So you say the PMT is much easier than the AT? Yep... I have a lot of work to do before I am ready for that for sure.

saltysack
06-08-2016, 11:14
Try the standing Indian loop out of Franklin....not too difficult loop...22 or 24 miles...easy 2-3 day hike...

Lnj
06-08-2016, 11:15
I'd do that trip the other way around if I were you. IMO, the northern half of that section is much harder than the southern half.

If you have 10 days, I recommend starting at Amicalola Falls and shooting for Neel's Gap in 4 days, stopping at Mountain Crossings for resupply and possibly a zero day, then hiking another 5-6 days to Deep Gap.

You over-estimate my ability... as I did, until this past trip. :) If the AT is way harder and steeper than the PMT, I could never get from Amicalola to Neel's Gap in 4 days. Maybe all 10.

Lnj
06-08-2016, 11:16
Try the standing Indian loop out of Franklin....not too difficult loop...22 or 24 miles...easy 2-3 day hike...

Thanks! I will look into that.