PDA

View Full Version : Women's Body Found on Springer June 4 2016--USFS budget cuts, censorship

Nimblewill
06-06-2016, 19:29
Looking for more information from area reporters (if they know where Springer Mtn is…) about his news, already categorized as "an isolated incident".

While this may not be a crime, let me add that the USFS, NPS, and BLM have orders from Washington that censor local federal law enforcement in their sharing crime details not "approved" by Washington often works against the interests of public safety. Tourism first?

Special "guilty knowledge" that protects the integrity of a crime investigation can be withheld while still informing the public of important details of crimes or incidents. The recent sexual assault on the Parkway in WNC near Asheville (perpetrator still at large) is a case in point, as is the serial killer Gary Michael Hilton story.

Asheville's Citizen Times has two recent articles that address this issue of withholding information. The Parkway trail assault occurred three weeks before a confirmation of sexual assault and an official description of the suspect were rep eased. The article and editorial both reference a rape that occurred near the AT and Wayah Bald five years ago where locals, forest visitors, and reporters were stonewalled about details. http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2016/06/03/hikers-given-little-warning-after-woman-sexually-assaulted/85336356/ and http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2016/06/04/boyle-column-nps-too-slow-releasing-sex-assault-details/85337368/

Public Employees for Environmental REsponsibility (PEER.org) has more information about the mess that is USFS law enforcement. Our few dedicated USFS LEs on the ground do not have resources and have a management they don't have confidence in, and they are facing another round of budget cuts. Some of those articles area here: http://www.peer.org/news/news-releases/forest-service-hatchets-law-enforcement.html

Here's the Springer story, so far. (Note: five Georgia counties are near Springer, the beginning is not in Fannin): http://fannin.fetchyournews.com/2016/06/06/womans-body-found-on-springer-mountain-in-fannin-county/

Woman’s Body Found on Springer Mountain in Fannin CountyNEWS (http://fannin.fetchyournews.com/category/1-news/) June 6, 2016

FetchYourNews.com spoke with authorities Monday morning, June 6th and confirmed a body of a deceased female was found on Springer Mountain in Fannin County.
The body was found on late Saturday, June 4th at the beginning of the Appalachian Trail on Springer Mountain. According to Special Agent in Charge Kim Williams, Region 8, of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, the woman was identified as 26 year old Chelsi Ichrish. The GBI believe this to be an isolated incident and the cause of death is unknown at this time pending an autopsy on June 7th.
The GBI are involved with the investigation and no further information is available at this time. FYN will update as information becomes available.
No related posts.

Nimblewill
06-06-2016, 19:38
typo--a "woman's" body… condolences to the family and friends. This loss of life, whatever the circumstances, is tragic.

Their is also a story that needs discussion about budget cuts to USFS, NPS, BLM… especially to Law Enforcemt in these agencies. Al the USFS budget can't go to firefighting. The near-6,000 acre human caused fee along the trail in Hot Springs NC last month was human caused. More USFS staff and LEOs help prevent such.

The recent article about the nation's USFS Officer of the year, a WNC officer serving in the Pisgah, with 5 campsites and 192,000 acres has words about how dangerous the job is, and how dedicated these LEOs area:

http://www.mcdowellnews.com/community/us-forest-service-officer-of-the-year-dedicated-officer-covers/article_2ac74028-13cd-11e6-8add-7f34190cd60b.html

Offshore
06-06-2016, 20:11
So other than using this woman's death as a jumping off point for frankly some unhinged train(wreck)-of-thought ranting, what exactly is your point? For others that may be interested in the developing story of the woman found dead on Springer, go over to the AT subreddit.

Nimblewill
06-07-2016, 00:06
Forest users around here want the staff levels of USFS law enforcement and staff restored, and gag orders on their communicating to the media and public removed. I guess that's a rant. Springer Mountain isn't in a park, crime is an issue on the Chattahoochee NF (and in WNC's Pisgah/Nantahala, too). Perhaps wanting civility restored---in the face of about a 50% uptick in trail/forest traffic, is unhinged thinking. Thanks for for point of view.

rickb
06-07-2016, 07:29
Seems very strange that the only on-line report of this is from a "second-tier" new aggregation website.

On the other hand, the detail provided -- like the names of the GBI investigator and the decedent do give the report credibility.

I have got to say that I agree in general about law enforcement's use of such terms as "appears to be an isolated incident" rather than providing at least some detail to the public. In the absence of anything more from them are we expected to conclude this either an accidental death or suicide? Probably, but who knows what they are trying to communicate. I understand the need to be cautious and respectful but believe the authorities should share a bit more information in these cases-- even at (and perhaps especially) early on.

When Scott Lilly's paritially buried body was found on the AT the authorities would only say that the circumstances were suspicious, until they were forced to tell the public this was a homicide 6 months to the day later (as required by state law). Did they want everyone to assume that they had discovered an apparent homicide rather than a hunting accident, suicide or something like that? Probably, but if that was the case why not just say it? Especially since same time the authorities wer saying out of the other side of their mouths that hikers should simply use normal cautions in the area.

I guess what I am saying is that I too wish that authorities would communicate directly, respectfully and with out the shield of official double speak when these tragedies occur on public lands. If they want to cover their bases with such words as "apparent" and "no sign of" and "at this time we believe" that's OK -- but they could do better.

FatMan
06-07-2016, 07:33
Forest users around here want the staff levels of USFS law enforcement and staff restored, and gag orders on their communicating to the media and public removed. I guess that's a rant. Springer Mountain isn't in a park, crime is an issue on the Chattahoochee NF (and in WNC's Pisgah/Nantahala, too). Perhaps wanting civility restored---in the face of about a 50% uptick in trail/forest traffic, is unhinged thinking. Thanks for for point of view.I believe you mean "Some" or "A Few" forest users want staff levels of USFS law enforcement..."

rickb
06-07-2016, 09:01
You know, I didn't follow all the links the OP shared in the first post of his thread. But I just clicked on this one now:

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2016/06/03/hikers-given-little-warning-after-woman-sexually-assaulted/85336356/

After reading it all he way through, I am pissed. In particular about how the authorities used the term "isolated incident" and failed to inform the public in that particular case.

Something is wrong with the culture of the involved law enforcement communities-- and am concerned that their attitude is more widespread than we may realize. I want to thank Nimblewill for bringing this up and sharing the link.

Rain Man
06-07-2016, 09:19
So, was any of this on the Appalachian Trail or not? If not, why are we discussing it here? Are we to discuss each and every crime that occurs in an AT state? Near a trail or mountain? What?

Teacher & Snacktime
06-07-2016, 09:54
There was a death at Springer Mtn terminus

Flounder940
06-07-2016, 09:54
More information here: https://www.reddit.com/r/AppalachianTrail/comments/4movu6/death_on_springer_mountain/

AO2134
06-07-2016, 10:39
So, was any of this on the Appalachian Trail or not? If not, why are we discussing it here? Are we to discuss each and every crime that occurs in an AT state? Near a trail or mountain? What?

I'd like to know if there is an assault, death (regardless of cause), and/or murder on or near any trail I hike. It sounds like the death occurred right at the southern terminus of the AT on Springer Mountain itself.

rickb
06-07-2016, 10:51

Yes, on the AT.

The relevance of the link I reposted was to show how willing authorities are to state something is "an isolated incident", and how absolutely meaningless that phrase can be.

Ktaadn
06-07-2016, 11:15
I tend to agree. How many people die every year in this country? Or just in the AT states? Do we really need a detailed explanation from law enforcement on each and every one of them?

AO2134
06-07-2016, 11:30
I tend to agree. How many people die every year in this country? Or just in the AT states? Do we really need a detailed explanation from law enforcement on each and every one of them?

I understand that you perhaps would rather not know, but others would. Since your preferences do not set the standard for all others, perhaps commenting "Who cares" when you really mean "I don't care" is kind of pointless. When I don't care about a post, I generally ignore said post, but perhaps what is common sense to me is not actually common sense at all.

Do I want to know if there is recent criminal activity where I plan to be? Yes. I avoid neighborhoods because of criminal activity, I don't park my car at certain places because of criminal activity. If someone's house in my neighborhood got broken into, I would want to know. Ignorance is not a blessing. At least not in my world. I'd rather know then wish I had known.

Now, from a legal perspective, an "isolated incident" could mean a few things. From a criminal standpoint (assuming there was a crime), typically an "isolated incident" would mean that there was a crime involving parties that knew each other. Husband/wife, friends, etc. (i.e., it was clear that this was a targeted event and it appears no one else but the target was really at risk). Isolated event could also mean that the perp is caught I suppose so this event is now "isolated" because there can be no further crime by this perp.

The fact that they used "isolated event" to me seems to suggest a natural cause death as less luckily. Sure, dying by heart attack is about as an isolated event as there possibly could be, but I wonder why they would call a natural cause death an isolated event from a legal stand point.

I am just speculating. Police are in the early investigation of this case (assuming it is real). Death by physical trauma caused by another is not always visible (gun shot would vs. strangling), but that is my 2 cents.

George
06-07-2016, 11:32
if it is a suicide (which seems reasonable - consistent with the way the investigation was conducted and potential witnesses were not interrogated ), it is reasonable to be vague - there are some with significant religious stigma to suicide and it would be unfair for family etc. to put it out there until the investigation is complete ( and public interest has waned)

to the OP:

obviously you have a bone to pick, an agenda, and a lack of logic/ reality - there have been many countries over time with the level of law enforcement that you seem to desire - most would agree that it did not make them a pleasant place to be

MuddyWaters
06-07-2016, 11:38
Police dont report anything.
Its up to news media to drive that
And they dont seem to have latched on

A violent crime would be more publicized in interest of public safety. Makes me think suicide. Very common actually in scenic or special places. Every death without witnesses is treated as homicide until evidence to contrary.

AO2134
06-07-2016, 11:40
Police dont report anything.
Its up to news media to drive that
And they dont seem to have latched on

A violent crime woyld be more publicized in interest of public safety. Makes me think suicide. Very common actually.

I have read on facebook from someone who alleges they know her that it was suicide.

MuddyWaters
06-07-2016, 11:43
Jennifer Davis came upon someone that hung themself during her first AT thruhike. Shook her up.

rickb
06-07-2016, 11:46

Not detailed.

If a body is found on the AT a simple statement along the lines of "The investigation is on going, but foul play is not suspected at this time" would be fine.

rickb
06-07-2016, 12:05
A violent crime would be more publicized in interest of public safety.

You should read the link provided by the OP:

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2016/06/03/hikers-given-little-warning-after-woman-sexually-assaulted/85336356/

That said, I think your way of thinking makes sense.

SouthMark
06-07-2016, 13:29
It was suicide. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reid
06-07-2016, 13:36
If there were any danger to the public they would have said something.

rickb
06-07-2016, 14:29

I would like to think that is always the case, but then you read reports like this one where a woman was sexually assaulted and tied to a tree when hiking alone off the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Feds refused to let the public know for weeks.

Here is the link (thanks to the OP):

Or you have the case of the Scott Lilly murder where after finding his partially buried body the Feds would only say that the circumstances of his death were suspicious -- and then urged hikers to take their normal precautions in the woods.

It would have been very easy for the authorities in this case to share that their initial investigation did not point to foul play -- if that was in fact the case (as you and I expect it is).

SouthMark
06-07-2016, 14:42

From her mothers friend:

"Springer Mountain Suicide: I am friends with the mother of the young lady who committed suicide last weekend at Springer Mountain and they are desperately trying to piece together the last day / days of her life. If you were there or know someone who was there and may of seen her, please IM me with any info. Thank you so much!"

SouthMark
06-07-2016, 14:48
Georgia Bureau of Investigation Press Release from GBI Lead Investigator Kim Williams (1:45 PM, 6-7-16)
re: Death Investigation on Springer Mountain
Fannin County, Georgia – On Saturday June, 4, 2016 at approximately 7:00 PM, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation was requested by the Fannin County Sheriff’s Office and the United States Forestry Service to assist with a death investigation at a campsite on Springer Mountain on the Appalachian Trail.
Earlier that day, a female was found deceased at one of the campsites. The female was identified as Chelsi Ann Ichrist, 26. Ichrist was previously living in South Carolina.
An autopsy was performed today by the GBI Medical Examiner’s Office. Both the autopsy and the investigation have revealed that Ichrist died as a result of suicide by hanging.

lkmi
06-07-2016, 16:39
http://accesswdun.com/article/2016/6/408414/woman-found-dead-at-north-georgia-campsite-took-her-own-life

buckeye49
06-07-2016, 17:01

How naive.

MuddyWaters
06-07-2016, 17:11
Very sad that a young person resorts to this.

speedbump
06-07-2016, 18:26
Hi Rain Man : )

Teacher & Snacktime
06-07-2016, 21:02

Yes, I agree....Hi Rain Man :) (and sorry to have missed you in CT/MA)

jac1969
06-07-2016, 23:02
I was there at the shelter fri till saturday, and they took my name - was thinking it was murder at first. Don't have a lot of info, some details about the campsite mostly, location, tent details which was set when I arrived. I probably don't have the answers the Mom is looking for, but, I'm happy to share what I have - I've chatted with a few other people who were around springer mt shelter on reddit, we were all shocked. I don't FB - PM/message me and I've provide my email, or cell phone to pass along anytime the family has any questions.

Hoofit
06-08-2016, 00:43
My sincere condolences to her family...that being said, the fact that this was a tragic suicide is also somewhat of a relief to current and indeed future hikers out there along the AT, as opposed to criminal foul play.

hilltackler
06-08-2016, 11:34
very sad story but did I read it incorrectly - it says she hung herself...in a tent? I'm confused...

The Roaming Gnome
06-08-2016, 12:13
Very Sad

Gary (RoamingGnome.net)

SouthMark
06-08-2016, 13:06
very sad story but did I read it incorrectly - it says she hung herself...in a tent? I'm confused...

It says tent was found pitched at Springer, didn't say she yes found in her tent is how I read it.

Rain Man
06-08-2016, 15:20

Hey Speedbump! You missed a really nice end-of-section-hike weekend on Mt. Greylock! But, good to "see" you online here.

-Rush-
06-08-2016, 16:42
Guess she won't be making it to Katahdin. RIP

swisscross
06-08-2016, 16:57
I cannot imagine the feeling of finding someone hanging in a tree.
Very sad for her family and friends.
I lost a friend to suicide a few years ago. He also hung himself.

MuddyWaters
06-08-2016, 17:16
I cannot imagine the feeling of finding someone hanging in a tree.
Very sad for her family and friends.
I lost a friend to suicide a few years ago. He also hung himself.

I had a coworker that did that once. Left a wife and 5 kids. Called 911 and told them he was doing it in his backyard so they would come find him and his kids wouldnt when they go home from school.

Fairly popular way to off oneself for some reason that I dont comprehend.

egilbe
06-08-2016, 17:53
Makes less of a mess, than using a shotgun, like Kurt Cobain.

Spogatz
06-09-2016, 16:23
Guess she won't be making it to Katahdin. RIP

I think she is already there.....

Lone Wolf
06-10-2016, 06:06
http://www.forevermissed.com/chelsi-ichrist/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=FB+User+Sharing&utm_content=Memorial+Share&utm_campaign=FB+User+Sharing#lifestory

Ktaadn
06-10-2016, 13:23
http://www.forevermissed.com/chelsi-ichrist/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=FB+User+Sharing&utm_content=Memorial+Share&utm_campaign=FB+User+Sharing#lifestory

Thanks for passing this along. I can't help but compare and contrast this death, and the WB reaction to it, with Inchworm's death. I feel that there is a lot to be learned from both of them. I just can't seem to put my finger on what the lesson is though.