PDA

View Full Version : Would you use a steri-pen on Thru-hike?

Chad400
01-03-2006, 14:12
I am considering using a steri-pen as my source for water filtering because of its weight and ease of use. I have read some of the threads from few years ago saying how this device ruined people's thru-hike. I was wondering if this is still the concensus or if the product has been improved and is now sutiable for the trail.

Mad Dog
01-03-2006, 14:31
Chad400, I plan to give it a try. I hiked in Yellowstone for 10 days and treated water with the steri-pen in some questionable water sources. No problem. I have read where others have used the pen on the AT. One hiker said he used only 3 sets of batteries to do the entire trail. They make a pre-filter that fits on your bottle and that tends to filter out all of the hard stuff. It does nothing for the color of the water. Mad Dog

Uncle Silly
01-03-2006, 20:09
I saw a few people using it on the trail in '05. One of them had some trouble that was apparently related to weak batteries. YMMV. Personally, I'll stick to my iodine tabs for the times I need chemical sterilization.

justusryans
01-03-2006, 20:13
We're planning to use one on our thru this year.

Wonder
01-04-2006, 15:09
Just got mine! I am keeping a Katadyn hiker pro at home just incase I need it..........

Programbo
01-06-2006, 23:15
What`s happened to water sources?..When I did all my hiking back in the 70`s I never used any sort of water purification stuff and never had a problem..Is there some sort of industrial problem or bacteria increase?..I`m asking as I recently visited one of the shelters I used to visit often 30 years ago and I would always just get water from the spring and drink up without a worry..But as I looked at it 2 weeks ago I remembered all this purification talk and decided to pass

mweinstone
01-07-2006, 00:10
dont hike around in the mountains drinking anything but regular old filtered water with any of the good filters available.otherwise you carry batteries or salt or pills and you drink doo doo or nyc tap exstract added or you are drinking funny colors. dont remove the joy joy fun of allways drinking the best tasting, clearest...non zapped A T H 2 O.

Panzer1
01-07-2006, 00:56
One good thing about using a filter is that all the crap is filtered out leaving pure water. As I understand it the SteriPen does not actually filter, it purifies using UV light without filtering.

Panzer

Wonder
01-07-2006, 09:56
A good old bandana works for keeping the sediment out......just use an old beat up one.

NICKTHEGREEK
01-07-2006, 11:08
To me taste, color and odor has way more to do with how much water I actually drink than convenience. I'm nuts enough to filter pumpwater if it's a bit rusty or has any smell whatsoever.

Panzer1
01-07-2006, 14:36
A good old bandana works for keeping the sediment out......just use an old beat up one.

Also, if you bring a bunch of coffee filters they will filter better and be more sterile. You can see the dirt on the coffee filter and throw it away when it gets too dirty.

Panzer

SGT Rock
01-07-2006, 14:59
Bandana and some iodine with Vit C.

longshank
01-07-2006, 15:04
I use the msr miox...water tastes great after, kills everything reliably. Battery lasts like 7 years, or something ridiculous like that. All you need is a little tiny sack of rock salt the size of a matchbook, and the device is the size of a marker.

KirkMcquest
01-07-2006, 16:54
I use the msr miox...water tastes great after, kills everything reliably. Battery lasts like 7 years, or something ridiculous like that. All you need is a little tiny sack of rock salt the size of a matchbook, and the device is the size of a marker.

That's correct longshanks, however I recently found out that the first generation of the miox was flawed. The protective outer lining would crack when overly exposed to water, rendering the device useless. This gave the miox a bad name, but the defect has been corrected. Despite all this (as you know), my miox ( original generation) never gave me this problem.

SGT Rock
01-07-2006, 20:29
I saw one of those at the outfitter, something like $180 for the unit, they still cost that much?

KirkMcquest
01-07-2006, 20:35
I saw one of those at the outfitter, something like $180 for the unit, they still cost that much?

$180 sounds high. I paid about $120, but have seen them going for $109. Froogle it.

gopher
01-11-2006, 08:17
The early model of Steripen had short water sensor pins. This caused the pen to not recognize that it was in water and the treatment sequence would abort. Now the pens have sensor pins 3 times longer and the problem seems to be solved. If you have a short pin model contact Hydro Photon and they will exchange it for you.

FiveWay
01-30-2006, 15:16
Ok now I really confused...yes I know. I herad that you have to treat one for bacteria and if you used the other, you had to treat for Virus. Not sure which one is which. It sounds like the MSR takes care of everything except the color? Is that correct? FiveWay

Wonder
01-31-2006, 02:29
A regular filter will not kill crypto. YOu would have to chemically treat it. I heard that the miox dosen't either, but I don't have the info infront of me. I think that the Steri-pen is perfect for those allergic to iodine

lbbrown
01-31-2006, 20:01
A regular filter will not kill crypto. YOu would have to chemically treat it. I heard that the miox dosen't either, but I don't have the info infront of me. I think that the Steri-pen is perfect for those allergic to iodine Hey Wonderfoot, checkout www.uvaquastar.com (http://www.uvaquastar.com....thats)
Thats what I.m gonna buy!

Groucho
01-31-2006, 21:54
JoJo Smiley has used one on several hikes. The thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6683&highlight=steri-pen

I have one, a present and have used it on a few short trips. I use a few layers of cheese cloth in a 2 l. soda bottle top to reduce turbidity when necessary.