PDA

View Full Version : Question about being warm in a hammock

dstenberg1
01-03-2006, 14:59
I just got my first hammock. Today my HH Ultralight Backpacker Asym w/ Snakeskins arrived in the mail. I can't wait to go set it up! I have been researching and following the threads here and was wanting some help evaluating cold weather gear.

I am going to get a KAQ Potomac and then either add an Oware 1/4" pad or a Hennessy Super Shelter for cold spring/fall use (I sleep cold). Would one get me to lower temps than the other assuming I am using the KAQ with them? Since many think that it is more comfortable and less hassle not to use a pad, I was thinking about the HSS so I would not have to worry about keeping a pad under me. I also like the concept of the under and over cover of the HSS.

Any thoughts would be helpful!

Just Jeff
01-03-2006, 23:15
I haven't used the HH undercover, but I think it will compress the underquilt. The quilt's DWR is nearly windproof, so I'm not sure how much warmth the HH undercover will add, anyway.

If I were choosing between those setups, I'd go with the pad instead of the HH system...maybe someone with positive experiences with the Super Shelter will disagree.

River Runner
01-20-2006, 23:51
I think if you are going with the KAQ Potomac, your best bet would be the closed cell foam for supplemental insulation. The two different suspension systems with the KAQ and the Super Shelter would likely drive you nuts. I have a Super Shelter, and sometimes use it with a RidgeRest short pad. I'm still experimenting with different combinations for different temperatures, but I've used the two together down to around 32 degrees and just got a little cold toward morning.
I used the Super Shelter with a Ray Jardine quilt I made between the undercover and underpad, the RidgeRest short inside, and slept very warm at 24 degrees with a Western Mountaineering Ultralight with 2 oz overfill used as a quilt.

neo
01-21-2006, 00:51
if my 10 year old son can hammock hang at 23 degrees anyone can
all he used was a 3/4 thermarest pad and his sleeping bag and liner bags as quilt and he was warm and snnug all night long,he used this combo in his cocoon model of the hennessey hammock:cool: neo

River Runner
01-21-2006, 01:12
Impressive.Since he is 10, I guess the 3/4 length fits about like a regular length would for an adult?Any special tips for using an inflatable Thermarest inside? Does he slightly underinflate it or anything? I've never owned a Thermarest, so am just wondering.I'm starting section hiking the AT in mid-April from Springer Mountain, planning on using my Hennessy, and am looking for the easiest, lightest, and warmest solution. I'm expecting temperatures could possibly be in the low 20 degree range. I've considered an underquilt system, but being able to go to the ground in case I don't find suitable trees would be a plus, and might be a necessity.

Just Jeff
01-21-2006, 11:33
Lightest - CCF pads. Not as comfortable as the others, but still better than ground-sleeping...and you can't beat the insulation/weight and cost of CCF. I'd definitely get a SPE for this option.

Easiest - underquilts. Once you get them adjusted, you just climb in and don't worry about rolling off the edge or anything. I'm very happy with the JRBs, but I'm testing the KAQ at the moment and it looks promising, too...happy with it so far but I haven't tested the low temps yet.

Warmest - depends. I guess technically CCF is the "warmest" of the options, but if it makes you sweat, I wouldn't use it. Other pads, especially down air mats, can provide greater warmth for less bulk (although more weight and cost).

All around, I've found underquilts to be my option of choice. Others are perfectly happy with pads...especially those on a budget as a couple of $15 pads certainly hurt less than a $150-220 underquilt. It's all a trade-off, though. Find what works for you...then post your results back here!

wyclif
01-22-2006, 17:16
I've only hammocked a couple of times, and I don't currently own an HH, but I am interested in the HH/JRB stuff I see here all the time.

I have a question. Most hikers have a good down sleeping bag already. Why do I read so many comments about quilts and such inside a hammock?

I guess my question is this: why do people use quilts in a hammock instead of a sleeping bag? I've read some hammock advocates reporting that lying all night on top of down crushes it and decreases the warmth.

But isn't the same thing true of a down quilt you are lying on?

Just Jeff
01-22-2006, 19:23
Lying on top of any sleeping bag insulation crushes it, whether in a hammock or on the ground. With a sleeping bag, you're carrying the weight of the insulation that isn't providing any loft because it's crushed. (But it also forms a ventilation-proof barrier when you roll over, whereas a quilt can vent some of your heat when you move if it's not tucked under your sides.)

Underquilts attach to the outside of the hammock's bottom, so the user is laying on the hammock body and not compressing the underquilt's insulation.

Many people prefer top quilts over sleeping bags in a hammock because it's a pain to get inside a bag and zip it up when you're in a hammock. Much easier throw a quilt on top of you, especially if you already have an underquilt or pad providing insulation underneath you. Or you can just put a sleeping bag over you and not zip it up...just be careful about laying on the zippers.

Seeker
01-23-2006, 02:09
i use a JRB underquilt and Weathershield outside, and sleep under a WM down bag inside. i zip the foot up a ways, about to my knees, and this keeps it situated just fine.

i used a CCF pad with 4 attached 'wings' (like the SPE, but with duct tape) and my Thermarest along with the JRB Underquilt and got down into the low 30s.

SteveJ
01-24-2006, 01:27
clip... why do people use quilts in a hammock instead of a sleeping bag? clip
But isn't the same thing true of a down quilt you are lying on?

hi, wyclif.

I agree with everything Jeff said....

Additionally...

On the ground, I toss and turn. I'm a side sleeper, so I sleep for an hour. Wake up to find shoulder and arm asleep. Roll over. Sleep for an hour, wake up to find shoulder and arm asleep. Roll over. Sleep for an hour, wake up....:(

I've used my quilt on the ground once, but wasn't really pushing the temp rating. All the tossing and turning I do on the ground would let a lot of cold air in...

In a hammock, different story.

Last sip of whisky at about 10:45. Get up to pee... Lay down, and go to sleep.........

Wake up at about 6:30 in the same position I went to sleep in. No sore muscles. No hot spots. No hip pointers.

Get up to pee again. Go back to sleep 'til 8:00 or so....

The big advantage (for me, at least) is the ability to go to sleep, sleep until I'm done sleeping, or need a bio break, and wake up refreshed without sore muscles. Staying in the same position all night makes the quilt the ideal top insulation.....:sun

Steve

skylark
01-24-2006, 10:53
I am working on a risk TravelPod, which is an uninsulated ripstop bag that fits around the hammock.

A concept that I want to try is to put some small baffles in the bottom of the pod, and to lay a pack and clothing in the bottom to stretch it out and make air pockets. The baffles are just to keep things from moving around and sliding down to the low point.

Other options are to put a space blanket in the bottom of the pod, and to use a foam pad in the hammock. (or any combination of the above). On the net there are some ideas to fill garbage bags with air, or use leaves to fill the pod, to create insulation.

I'm still working on sewing the pod, but have done some cold weather experiments with net hammocks and reflectix pads, reflectix underquilts and reflectix tents. I even put together a pod-like taco made of reflectix and duct tape, and napped in it with no other insulation at 15F temps. The reflectix experiments are quite warm and stop the wind but the experiments show the need for a breathable fabric both above and below the sleeper. Condensation is a problem, even if you just use the hammock for an hour or two! After a good long nap in a reflectix pod, you can actually get a small puddle or wet spot on your behind.

So I am hoping I can put together a system that is breathable and requires no pad directly against the sleeper. If the ripstop pod doesn't do the job, I will try an underquilt.

I have oversized the snakeskins (10" wide cloth) and I am hoping that I will be able to fit the hammock, bugnet, pod, and longjohns (sleeping attire) inside the skins during the day.

So far the hammock and snakeskins are done, but its too cold without the pod to start experimenting outside.

Just Jeff
01-24-2006, 12:18
Putting gear in the bottom will cause the sides of the Pod to press against the sides of the hammock, which will allow the wind to steal your heat easier. If you can put something to hold the pod away from the hammock's sides, it'll solve that problem...Risk talks about wind bumpers on his site.

Or maybe just put the pockets there instead of on the bottom and let your gear keep the Pod off of your sides. More convenient to get to your stuff that way, too.

For bottom insulation, any air gap between the hammock's bottom and the insulation will cause your heat to dissipate. If you put the insulation in the Pod's bottom, you'll probably need some way to hold it tight to the bottom of the hammock.

Even with an underquilt, I've found my Hammock Sock (based on the TravelPod) to add almost 10F (and lots of humidity when I breathe into it). It does a great job of cutting the wind, too. Still need the underquilt with it for most temps, though. YMMV.

Sounds like you've got a good project - be sure to post pics and details!