PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Atmos 65AG Side pockets

HikerHarry
06-07-2016, 23:52
Wanting to know if the stretch side pockets on the Atmos 65AG can accommodate water bottles. Only skinny ones like the Smart water style, or can the side pockets hold fatter 32oz Gatorade size bottles?

The guy at the outdoor store couldn't tell me.

SkeeterPee
06-08-2016, 00:09
I carry one Nalgene and one smart water bottles in my 2 pockets. I like the measurement marks on the 1 liter Nalgene. However it is difficult to get that bottle back in without taking off the pack. Basically I can't do it, but maybe others can. Now the 1 liter smart bottle is easier to get in and out of the bag so I drink from that one and refill from the Nalgene wen I stop.

egilbe
06-08-2016, 09:11
If the pack isn't full, they are easy to use. Fill the pack up and the bottles are really tough to put back in the pockets.

Greenlight
06-08-2016, 17:53
I'm still reeling after the quote "the guy at the outdoor store couldn't tell me." Not sure why he couldn't tell you unless *he didn't know* in which case *he shouldn't be working there* but that's none of my business. ;)

Here's an idea. Fill the pack up with equipment from the store, go to the break room and grab a water bottle, put the pack on, and ... holy cow, it's almost like real life, only in the air conditioning! Kudos to the staff at #REI-Castleton in Indianapolis, I guess. Their employees know their stuff.

Wanting to know if the stretch side pockets on the Atmos 65AG can accommodate water bottles. Only skinny ones like the Smart water style, or can the side pockets hold fatter 32oz Gatorade size bottles?

The guy at the outdoor store couldn't tell me.

poolskaterx
08-18-2016, 17:56
I had a hard time reaching my bottles in my osprey 65pack when when it was full, putting them back in the pockets was even more difficult; I asked my hiking buddies a few times to put em back in for me!

Venchka
08-18-2016, 19:16
Addendum:
Nothing goes in the fictitious hip belt pockets.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

DuneElliot
08-18-2016, 19:49
I seriously looked at the women's version of this pack when I was pack shopping...the two things that turned me off: the small side pockets for water bottles (pretty pointless IMO) and the tiny hip-belt pockets (basically useless). I do have an Osprey hyrdation pack and the pockets on that are only useful for chapstick!

jgillam
08-18-2016, 20:54
I was checking out one of these packs at an REI a few weeks ago. Iwas able to, pretty easily, slip my iPhone 6 plus with wallet case, into the pocket and zip it closed without any issue. This actually surprised me based on all of the complaints I had seen about the hip belt pockets.

I do wish this pack was lighter as it is the most comfortable pack that I have found this far.

egilbe
08-18-2016, 20:59
Never understood the point of those tiny belt pockets on their packs. My GF has an Aura and she hated the belt pouches so much, she bought some add on front pack

http://www.campsaver.com/ribz-frontpack

she really likes them

Venchka
08-18-2016, 21:03
I seriously looked at the women's version of this pack when I was pack shopping...the two things that turned me off: the small side pockets for water bottles (pretty pointless IMO) and the tiny hip-belt pockets (basically useless). I do have an Osprey hyrdation pack and the pockets on that are only useful for chapstick!

It is good to know that I am not alone. It gets worse. The 50 liter version omits useful features that the 65 liter version has.

Wayne

Maineiac64
08-18-2016, 23:05
I can get a camelbak 1L chute into the side pocket but its tight. Difficult to put back with pack on.

-Rush-
08-20-2016, 03:01
Bottle access on the Osprey Atmos 65 AG is excellent IMO. I also carried a full 1.8L platypus hoser in one of the pockets without issues. The mesh stretches well and holds large bottles with easy while keeping them secure. There's also a small loop on the end specifically to go around the bottle top for added security.

The side pockets can be a pain to open with one hand. When unzipping, they can get stuck requiring your other hand to straighten out the track before you can unzip it further.

Patrickjd9
09-05-2016, 14:44
How do people like the fairly rigid hip belt on this pack? I tried one on at REI at Bailey's Crossroads in VA last week.

In general, I liked the pack, but wasn't sold on the hip belt. Is it possible I was wearing one that was too small? I wear size 36-38 pants.

-Rush-
09-05-2016, 22:09
How do people like the fairly rigid hip belt on this pack? I tried one on at REI at Bailey's Crossroads in VA last week.

In general, I liked the pack, but wasn't sold on the hip belt. Is it possible I was wearing one that was too small? I wear size 36-38 pants.

I liked the hip belt, and it never slipped on me. It was extremely comfortable and I'd have no reservation recommending it. I had a Medium size pack and wear size 36-38 pants.

Patrickjd9
09-10-2016, 15:12
I liked the hip belt, and it never slipped on me. It was extremely comfortable and I'd have no reservation recommending it. I had a Medium size pack and wear size 36-38 pants.

Thanks, Rush!

I'll give it a try making sure I have the right size belt.