PDA

View Full Version : Shoe Recommendations, need help!

BenOnAdventures
06-07-2016, 23:57
Hey I hope all of you are doing great! I was wondering if I could get some advice, I'm thinking of getting some nude Trail runners and have been looking into la sportiva. What do all of you think about the Wildcats or the Ultra Raptors? Also if you have any other recommendations for shoes feel free to recommend them. Thank you so much!

BenOnAdventures
06-07-2016, 23:58
New** not nude lol

Datto
06-08-2016, 00:18
Quite a few long-distance hikers use New Balance trail runners/lightweight hiker shoes (New Balance changes their models frequently so what's available today might not be there tomorrow).

A few comments:

a) If you're going to be carrying a backpack and are hiking on uneven treadway, you can get an improved feel by replacing the shoe liners (that New Balance comes delivered with) and swapping in Spenco Inserts as a replacement liner. I have used the Spenco Hiker model as replacement liners to great benefit and comfort.

b) New Balance trail runner type shoes are widely available on the Internet if you're going to be doing a long-distance hike and need to replace hiking shoes regularly.

c) New Balace trail runner type shoes are available in a wide variety of shoe sizes and widths.

d) New Balance trail runner type shoes are a bit on the expensive side (as well as the cost of Spenco Inserts) so if you're on a low budget these might not be a good fit.

Datto

roys
06-08-2016, 08:15
La sportiva shoes have a very good reputation. However, they are also considered to be a narrow shoe. There are allot of good shoes in the marketplace. The big question is does it fit, is it comfortable for you? Try them on. The wrong shoe can make for a miserable experience.

garlic08
06-08-2016, 08:20
Ditto the New Balance, but though they're my favorite shoes, some people think the box they come in is more comfortable. There's a Big 5 store near me that routinely has them on sale for under $50.

Sorry, but you're just going to have to go out and start hiking in various shoes and hope you have better luck than I did in finding the right pair. It took me nearly 2000 somewhat painful miles and four different shoes on the PCT before finally found the brand, size, and width that works for me.

I tried La Sportiva once and found them way too narrow for my feet. NB's EE width is perfect.

capehiker
06-08-2016, 08:26
Not hiking the CDT this summer?

Venchka
06-08-2016, 09:10
Yo Ben! How you doin?
To answer your question, if they fit your feet, the Ultra Raptors are very very good rough to off trail shoes. They are also comfortable on graded dirt roads.
The Ultra Raptors run small. Actually, they are labeled correctly according to the European system. The problem is in the US size conversation. I wear size 9 or 9.5 US size. I wear size 43 European shoes. The size 43 Ultra Raptors fit me fine. The box is labeled size 10.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Odd Man Out
06-08-2016, 10:51
I too have wanted to try on the LaSportiva Ultra Raptors but no stores in my area carry them. I contacted the company and they said their stores could special order for me. Of course I could buy on line, but I like to try shoes before I buy. The person from the company said their trail shoes run a bit small and suggested I get a half size up from what is usually recommended.

May just go with the NB, however. Every time I try on shoes, NB always just seem to fit my foot the best.

MuddyWaters
06-08-2016, 11:15
Find a shoe that fits you, and you like
Forget about what others wear

Heres what most shoe threads say between lines:

" I dont know what to look for in shoes, so I want to just wear what someone else does"

Is it any wonder so many have foot issues?

Use zappos and running warehouse
Order at least a half dozen top choice, multiple sizes
Wear them 30 min in home. Experiment lacing

You will determine what your feet like best, and can zero in in those features.
Return them. Costs NOTHING. Zero. Zip. Nada.
Not even gas ti store.

Repeat
Not unusual to take several months to select shoes.

Really tired of seeing " no one carries x near me". Not even a factor today.

All sportivas run narrow and must be sized up. On some the collar is high and rubs under ankle. Toebox height is low and annoying and toes may rub roof. If you try on a few pair, you figure these things out in short order. Might work for you, might not

Few perfect shoes, just acceptable compromises

Chances of finding best shoe at local store thst only carries a few is slim.

saltysack
06-08-2016, 11:44
I've had several pair of Wildcats...they have a wide toe box and fit me great. The mesh doesn't hold up well in the Sierra rocks but do great on the southern AT dirt...I tried the ultra raptors but were too narrow like most others I've tried....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
06-08-2016, 11:45
Forgot I did size up a whole size from 12 to 13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
06-08-2016, 12:28
The Ultra Raptors have La Sportiva's stickiest trail runner rubber. They are listed as "off trail runners".
I must have perfect feet for the Ultra Raptors. I've experienced none of the problems mentioned earlier.
YMMY. YFMV.
Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

burger
06-08-2016, 12:40
Find a shoe that fits you, and you like
Forget about what others wear

+1,000. The only reason to ever solicit opinions from others on shoes is general issues of sizing ("Model X runs wide" or "Add a half-size--a 10 for this shoe is a 9 1/2 for all other shoes.") and durability ("The soles on Model Y fall off after 300 miles."). Otherwise, figure it yourself. Assuming that your feet are like everyone else's or anyone else's is a recipe for foot problems.

Connie
06-08-2016, 14:41
There are shoe differences: narrow heel, low volume foot, high volume foot, reasonably straight from the joint at the ball of the foot forward, toe box large or narrow.

Wear the socks you will wear for hiking. I like cushion-foot "quarter" height socks - quarter length and "cushioned" (double-weight in the foot) because these socks do mot slide down in the shoe.

Pull you foot into the heel of the shoe, or boot, lace up. Stand on incline or curb, bend knees, put weight forward.

If the toes hit or seams bind, or, rub, or, feet slide inside the shoe, it is not a "good fit" - not for hiking.

BenOnAdventures
06-08-2016, 22:21
Well everyone I ordered the La Sportiva Ultra Raptors! I will let you know when they arrive. Thank you for all the help, I appreciate it!