PDA

View Full Version : Elevation training mask, good idea?

Cedar1974
06-08-2016, 08:37
I know this must sound silly, but hear me out. I live in Southern Alabama, where we are at or below sea level. I was thinking of getting one of these Elevation training masks to help me get use to the thinner air up higher in the mountains. Would this be a good idea, or a waste of money?

Offshore
06-08-2016, 08:40
Waste of money: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/do-elevation-masks-work.html

(TL/DR: But from a physiological perspective, there isn't a shred of research or anecdotal evidence behind the utility of these masks, nor do they in any way simulate the physiology of training at altitude. Your money and training energy are better spent elsewhere.)

Venchka
06-08-2016, 08:55
I've been living on the Gulf Coast since forever. Yesterday I hiked to the top of Grandfather Mountain on the Profile and Grandfather trails. 2,500' elevation gain in a little over 3 miles. 5,900'+ at the top. I'm still alive. The boulder field called a trail was the most difficult part of the hike.
The Rockies and the Sierras are high enough to notice the elevation gain. You get used to it in a week or two.
I'm old and slow but I can hike what folks on the east coast think is a trail.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

CalebJ
06-08-2016, 09:01
The highest point on the A.T. is well below 7,000 feet. Not exactly high elevation by national (much less international) standards. You'll be fine.

Hikingjim
06-08-2016, 09:10
Bad idea. Save your money to buy some badges or pins to put on your pack after you finish your hike

KidA24
06-08-2016, 09:33
I know this must sound silly, but hear me out. I live in Southern Alabama, where we are at or below sea level. I was thinking of getting one of these Elevation training masks to help me get use to the thinner air up higher in the mountains. Would this be a good idea, or a waste of money?

A waste of money.

http://www.altitude.org/altitude_sickness.php

Most people remain well at altitudes of up to 2500m, the equivalent barometric pressure to which airplane cabins are pressurized. However, even at around 1500m above sea level you may notice more breathlessness than normal on exercise and night vision may be impaired. Above 2500m, the symptoms of altitude sickness become more noticeable.

rafe
06-08-2016, 09:39
No need. The highest peaks on the AT are barely over 6,000 feet. Besides, those masks make you look like a serial killer.

moldy
06-08-2016, 09:51
As a resident of Alabama you your body over the decades has achieved the correct balance of red and white blood cells to keep your body nourished and fed with oxygen. The numbers of red and white blood cells would be different if you lived in Leadville Colorado for that same amount of time. Both places offer the same % of oxygen at 21% the big difference is the atmospheric pressure. The volume of air needed is greater at high altitude has to be higher for your cells to get the oxygen they require. The mask acts to restricts the volume of air you take in with each breath and thereby cause your body to need more white blood cells and adapt by creating more. If you were a 21 year old mountain climber on the way to Everest it might help you. For a 41 year old hiker wanting to hike the AT? Your doctor will tell you not to use this thing. It could damage your heart or worse yet.

Hikingjim
06-08-2016, 10:48
No need. The highest peaks on the AT are barely over 6,000 feet. Besides, those masks make you look like a serial killer.

good point. the amount of people that will stop and chat with you on the trail will approach 0 with that mask on
Your trail name will no doubt be "the mask"

Cedar1974
06-08-2016, 11:12
I wasn't going to wear it on the trail, but here at home as I work out. But you all raise a good point, I won't waste my money.

Dogwood
06-08-2016, 13:55
I wouldn't confuse these types of mask's results with Altitude Hypoxic Oxygen Tents that mountaineers and athletes that will compete at higher elevations such as when training for the Olympics, such as what my brother, used.