PDA

View Full Version : stake bag

johnny quest
01-03-2006, 16:07
do any of you out there make or buy a special bag to carry stakes in? do you put your stakes in a bag at all? im concerned about my stakes doing damage to other gear. ive bought the cheap stuff sack from walmart and am thinking of reinforcing the bottom with duct tape. any other thoughts? ideas? diatribes?

Footslogger
01-03-2006, 16:15
I use an old worn out polypro liner sock.

'Slogger

smokymtnsteve
01-03-2006, 16:26
an old TP inner roll..duct tape the end.

Smile
01-03-2006, 16:35
How about a little scrap of sil nylon and sew up the sides - super lite!

johnny quest
01-03-2006, 16:38
my stakes are sharp! im afraid silnylon will tear open. my intention had been to make the stake bag double as my rock-throw-over-the-limb bag...i guess i should have said that. but the toilet roll thing has me thinking...

The Solemates
01-03-2006, 16:42
every tent i have ever bought has come with a stake bag, so this is new by me.

but as an experiment, get a large nail and a piece of sil-nylon. take the nail and try to puncture the fabric. then get back to if you still think the sil-nylon will tear.

Peaks
01-03-2006, 16:46
my stakes are sharp! im afraid silnylon will tear open. my intention had been to make the stake bag double as my rock-throw-over-the-limb bag...i guess i should have said that. but the toilet roll thing has me thinking...

Well, I"ve always used the little nylon bag that the stakes came in originally. It doesn't have a draw string or anything to tie a rope into. But I do have a separate small stuff sack that I use as a throw bag. It stays in my food bag.

Red
01-03-2006, 16:50
a piece of corrugated cardboard works. alternate the stakes on the ends. just cut it long enough that the tips don't poke out the ends.

of course it needs to be kept dry...

Smile
01-03-2006, 17:09
Hmm, have you considered the .5 ounce stakes (strong!) whoops....now where did I get those....

Seeker
01-03-2006, 18:35
i had a small silnylon bag made, with a reinforced bottom. it's about 2" x 8". since i live in LA, and there are no (ok, almost no) rocks in our dirt (all alluvial sediment), i also ground my sharp points down just a little bit, so the peg is still pointy, but not sharp enough to cut the bag. i hit the occassional root, but never a rock, and it doesn't effect the holding power having them 'dull'.

Marta
01-03-2006, 19:31
I keep my stakes in a small silnylon bag, which I fasten to the tent pole with a rubber band. That goes in the outside pocket of the pack, so it's not rubbing up against the tent or the inside of the pack.

Frosty
01-03-2006, 20:33
my stakes are sharp! They won't be after you use them once or twice.

Frosty
01-03-2006, 20:33
my stakes are sharp! They won't be after you use them once or twice.

briarpatch
01-04-2006, 00:21
I made a silnylon bag that is double bottomed and never had a problem with a stake poking thru. It has no seam on the bottom, the seams are on each side. Picture a rectangle folded in half with the sides sewn to make a pocket shaped bag with an extra piece of material that wraps around the bottom and comes about half way up on each side.

If I was concerned about a stake poking thru, I would sew a piece of seat belt webbing in between the 2 parts of the double bottom.

jasonklass
01-04-2006, 22:21
Yep. I sewed one out of 1.9 ripstop. Not the lightest but is tough enough to protect my other gear from being punctured. Sometimes I just wrap up the stakes in clothing but that's only when I'm in the mood to really count grams. Most of the time I just put them in the stuffsack.

Fiddleback
01-04-2006, 22:47
This solution isn't as light as bags and such...but there's no poking of sharp stakes through anything, either.

I cut a piece of plastic tubing about 1" longer than the stakes themselves. The tubing is similar to what is used for aquarium pumps but much larger in diameter...maybe an inch (found mine in an Ace Hardware). I put the six aluminum stakes I carry into the tube point first, the collected bulk of the stakes and the stickiness of the tube holding them inside as placed. It also helps that my particular stakes have a crook at the top (for easy securing of guylines) that hooks over the top edge of the tube. Since the tube is longer than the stakes the sharp ends are kept well inside the tube and are prevented from poking anything.

FB

johnny quest
01-24-2007, 09:56
go ahead, tell me i got too much time on my hands. here is what i made:
an off the shelf bag with an inner sleeve made of that superthin plastic cutting board material you can buy at fallapart. i cut it twice the length of the bag, folded it and duct-taped it together to form a "wallet" for my stakes. the wallet forces the stakes to lay side by side in the bag. the wallet can pull out to dump the inevitable dirt and sand. patent not pending.

Ewker
01-24-2007, 10:01
:-? what you made reminds me of a pocket protecter

johnny quest
01-24-2007, 10:05
im not sure how to take that....but.... i guess if im making stake bag protectors then, yes, im some sort of geek.

johnny quest
01-24-2007, 10:06
oh, and it weighs about a half ounce.

Michele
01-24-2007, 10:14
i actually have a 5 x 8 silnylon stuff sack (equinox) that I keep in the outer mesh pocket of my pack. In it I put the following:

4 stakes, TP in a ziplock, Rain gear, aqua mira, pack cover. I put the stakes in first, and the TP kind of protects the rest of my stuff from the sharp edges on top. It's everything I need quick access to while hiking.

Footslogger
01-24-2007, 10:49
I took a suggestion from another WB member and it has worked out well for me. Took a piece of clear plastic tubing from the hardward store (diameter large enough to hold my 6 titanium stakes. Cut the tubing off so that I could stick the pointy ends in without them coming out the other end.

'Slogger

oldfivetango
01-24-2007, 16:28
im not sure how to take that....but.... i guess if im making stake bag protectors then, yes, im some sort of geek.

Careful,I actually used to love my old pocket protector-
and I miss those good old days.Also,I got my little stake
bag from Campmor and it does the trick quite nicely.
OFT

rswanson
01-24-2007, 16:56
I ditched the stake bag and pack em in my spare socks. I can't imagine they'll ever puncture anything. Most tents also have a bag for poles, you could carry em there too.

Froggy
01-24-2007, 18:53
How 'bout a piece of nylon tubular webbing, one end sewn shut?

Footslogger
01-24-2007, 19:09
How 'bout a piece of nylon tubular webbing, one end sewn shut?

==============================

Kinda like a knife pouch, without the belt loop. Seems like that would work about as well as my plactic tubing.

'Slogger

aroth87
01-24-2007, 19:13
If the 'wallet' hold the stakes tight enough, or you keep it upright, you could ditch the bag, I'm sure that would save you a 1/4 oz or so ;) (only kind of joking on this one).

Adam

johnny quest
01-24-2007, 19:29
actually i tried ditching the bag but it kinda holds it all together plus my scale didnt register a weight difference with or without it.