PDA

View Full Version : Northbound to Pennsylvania in late August.

lilgodwin
06-09-2016, 02:55
First time poster.

This fall will probably be the only opportunity I'll have to complete a decent section of the AT for many years to come.

I figure I'll have 8 weeks starting in late August, starting in the South. Looks like Springer Mountain is the starting point. Headed up to Pennsylvania appears to be rightly 700 miles. Looking at other experiences, I reduced since of the average speeds and came up with about 15 miles/day, averaging 6 days/week of actual hiking, it comes out to 720 miles. Not much wiggle room if singing happens, but I'm flexible. 8 weeks is 8 weeks whether I do more or less than hoped.

I'm curious if this is feasible. Obviously there are many factors. My biggest concern is the time of year. Temperatures and weather conditions for the southern half of the AT?

Also, is the 15 mi/day, 6 days/week reasonable?

I figure this would be my starting point to hopefully get some good feedback from various knowledgeable hikers who have done, or know enough about, the AT. All comments, questions, and concerns are welcome!

Thanks!

rafe
06-09-2016, 08:43
Once you get moving (maybe not the first few weeks) 100 miles per week is a reasonable target for most folks.

rocketsocks
06-09-2016, 10:10
Good refreshing plan. Just go as far as ya can on what time ya have, Brilliant! 15 a day is not only doable but a bit on the conservative side once you get rolloin'

rocketsocks
06-09-2016, 10:13
Oh, and if your having trouble whistling while you work and are unable to walk and crew gum at the same time...switch to mints! :D

lilgodwin
06-09-2016, 11:29
... am I sensing sarcasm?

lilgodwin
06-09-2016, 11:33
Hahaha. I just reread my post. Autocorrect has been kicking my butt lately. I get your second post now and realize the first was genuine.

lilgodwin
06-09-2016, 11:36
Sorry for the multiple posts. For some reason I'm unable to edit them.

I'm still very much looking for advice specifically regarding the time of year. Good/bad idea, temps, weather conditions, etc.

rafe
06-09-2016, 11:44
Haven't been that far south on the AT in a long while but I'll wager it's a good time of year to be hiking. It's obviously going to be well into autumn before you're done, so there could well be some days with cold temps and rain, though most likely no snow.

I don't know how you got 700 miles from Springer to PA, it's more like 1100. The nominal halfway point on the AT is in southern PA.

lilgodwin
06-09-2016, 13:07
Quick estimation on Google maps :-) I knew it wasn't accurate but didn't know how far off it might be.

I'll be 27 soon, I'm in decent shape, and have rucked with ~60lbs before. Combined with the earlier replies suggesting that my calculated pace may be a slow one, I'm somewhat confident I can still make it up to Pennsylvania in the allotted time.

Thanks for the replies. The more insight the better!

lilgodwin
06-10-2016, 18:13
I apologize for the double post, but I figure I'll keep most of my related questions to this one thread... Most. Are there any concise threads, links and/or files that show list of items for a trek like this? Items that are necessary, highly desirable, and very useful.

I get some of the basics, but I know I'm missing a lot on my list of things.