PDA

View Full Version : Contact info for 501 Shelter Caretaker?

Ashman
06-09-2016, 08:39
I'm doing a section hike in northern PA next week and I need to send a mail drop. Port Clinton is about my mid-point but I'm having trouble lining up a mail drop in town. (Coming through on a Sunday so Post Office isn't a viable option). Someone on a Facebook page suggested the caretaker of the 501 shelter might take a mail drop. Can anyone confirm if this is true? If so, does anyone have contact info? Other ideas or suggestions for a mail drop in the Port Clinton area that can be reached on a Sunday and doesn't involve a hitch to a nearby town would be greatly appreciated.

hikernutcasey
06-09-2016, 08:44
Just went through there last week and all I can tell you is that even though the caretaker is a nice enough fellow he has his rules and he will not bend them for you. I don't know this for sure but I don't think he accepts mail drops, maybe someone else can confirm.

I will tell you that getting into Hamburg is about as easy as it gets. There was a guy at the barber shop offering rides to thru hikers and my buddy and I called Cabelas and they came and picked us up in a van (they won't guarantee this service, only if they have available staff). Anyway, once in town go hang around the exit of the Walmart and I guarantee you will get a ride in less than 10 minutes.