PDA

View Full Version : How should I walk ?

dmax
06-09-2016, 14:46
What is the proper body machanics for walking faster?
i know when I start out in the mornings, it's kinda of a slower pace than I would like. But I do finally settle into a pace that I like and move right along.
but, I'd like to pick that pace up a little. That would help me knock off some miles before lunch.

Should I push off with my toes as I walk?
i have done this a really picked up the pass for a bit. But the my shins start fealing it...
or
Should I take smaller steps, longer steps,

I realize an earlier start would help.
id just looking for the ways to walk properly that would help me pick up the pace.
Any info on how to walk properly at normal pace is welcome too.

MuddyWaters
06-09-2016, 14:52
You dont walk farther by walking faster
You do it by walking longer

If you change natural gait, you are begging for problems

Walk a pace you can maintain without stopping for rests, especially uphill. You will lose way more by stopping than steady slower pace.

SkeeterPee
06-09-2016, 14:52
Do you use trekking poles? I walk about 10% faster per mile with the trecking poles on level and gentle slopes that are not too rocky.

dmax
06-09-2016, 14:56
Yes, poles do help me pick it up quite a bit. They also help with my tarp or tent.

KidA24
06-09-2016, 15:10
Walking longer is key #1.

To walk faster, you need to improve form and technique.
1: Walk tall. Try not to look at your feet (sometimes this is unavoidable, I know) look 10 to 20 feet ahead. Keep your shoulders back, while you rotate your body slightly forward at your hips (the forward lean you see with many marathoners)
2: Work on activating your glutes, (yes, your butt), especially going on flat ground & uphill. It's amazing how many people do not do this.
3: Take shorter, quicker steps, roll off your toes and push off. If you're feeling it in your shins (shin splints) that is usually from taking too long of strides -- which causes your heel to plant instead of roll, costing you momentum.

rocketsocks
06-09-2016, 15:42
Well let me count the ways!...theres the

uptown Mississippi half step
glide in the stride and dip in the hip
you could even shuffle off to buffalo
but mostly I just put one foot in front of the other, and soon you'll be walkin' out the door.

I use a short gate, with a bit of a shuffle if I need to get after it, it's pretty silly lookin I'm told.

nsherry61
06-09-2016, 18:12
How about this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvxrJx2JdSg).

Or this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BcYyM61XOI). :banana

Water Rat
06-09-2016, 18:56
Is your goal to get to camp faster, or are you trying to accomplish more miles per day?

It sounds like you have already naturally found a gait the does work for you and would like to be able to find this stride earlier and maintain it. Some tips for that are stretch in the morning, after breaks, and in the evening. Stay hydrated and snack throughout the day to maintain the "fuel" you need to maintain your energy levels.

The stretching should help allow your muscles to warm up a bit sooner and help you to find your stride a little earlier in the day. If nothing else, they can also help you to avoid injury. The food and water will help you maintain your energy and hydration levels to keep you moving faster, farther.

REB
06-09-2016, 19:16
I learned the hard way trying to push for more milage especially on the down hills. Finished an 80 mile section too quick and came off with shin splits. I was fighting the trail instead of enjoying it. Now I find my rhythm and stick to it. If I want more miles I walk longer into the evening or start out at before dawn.

Malto
06-09-2016, 20:42
If you are trying to increase you instantaneous speed on normal trail then I would suggest many options first.
1) increase your fitness so you can walk uphills as fast as level.
2) Minimize your time stopped. EAt on the move but don't pull a Skurka and piss into the wind. (THere is stupid fast.)
3) Minimize your camp setup and breaks down.
4) Practice moving swiftly downhills. There is technique to get better at that.
5) Focus on Fueling, Water and Electrolytes. YOu can stay stronger longer.

Do this and you will see your average speed go up significantly even without increasing your instantaneous speed on the flats.

fiddlehead
06-09-2016, 21:38
Wow!
So many different opinions here and most of them differ from my way of thinking.
I used to walk 3 mph.
Then I picked it up to 4 and even 5 in my prime.
I did it by extending my steps longer, walking a little quicker, and swinging my arms a bit more.
I am surprised someone said that trekking poles helped them to walk faster.
Not for me.
They slow me down.

As for uphills, to me, it's important not to stop.
Start slow, regulate my speed with my breathing and keep it one breath in and out ever 4 steps.
Don't get out of breath.
As the hill gets longer, I get faster.
But DON'T STOP!

As for downhills: I have two rules (different from many I know): Always walk and uphill and always run a downhill.
I say run, but it's not really fast, just saves my knees.
It's a technique I learned from the hut girls in the whites: Short steps, don't put all of your weight on any one step, (sort of like a Chinaman pulling a rickshaw with his quick little jogging steps, if you've ever ridden one of these)

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on the subject.

Heliotrope
06-09-2016, 23:55
If you are trying to increase you instantaneous speed on normal trail then I would suggest many options first.
1) increase your fitness so you can walk uphills as fast as level.
2) Minimize your time stopped. EAt on the move but don't pull a Skurka and piss into the wind. (THere is stupid fast.)
3) Minimize your camp setup and breaks down.
4) Practice moving swiftly downhills. There is technique to get better at that.
5) Focus on Fueling, Water and Electrolytes. YOu can stay stronger longer.

Do this and you will see your average speed go up significantly even without increasing your instantaneous speed on the flats.

Can you expand on your downhill technique. I have been working on mine and find I am developing a more fluid stride by not trying to brake as much as let the terrain set the pace.

cmoulder
06-10-2016, 07:27
Easiest way to cover more miles is to get up early and get going. It's cooler and quieter, and it's awesome just to watch the early rays of the sun filtering through the trees. The only downside is that you're the first one one the trail and therefore catching all the spider webs strung across the trail while you were sleeping. But it is actually kinda cool to walk past camps where people are just getting up — or maybe even still snoozing in their tents — and you've already covered 5 or 6 easy miles.

As per Malto, IMO breaking camp quickly is the tricky part, and the idea is to become efficient by doing things in an orderly fashion. Start by letting the air out of sleeping mat and rolling it up, and then place stuff to be packed outside the tent, put on shoes and get out of the tent which should have nothing remaining inside. At this point, fire up the alky stove and heat water for coffee and/or oatmeal, and take down the tent and put items in the pack while the water is heating. In no time flat you've had breakfast and are ready to hike.

When starting out hiking, if you don't feel so fast, fine! Don't push it, and don't stress over it. You'll warm up to your natural pace in due time. For the first mile or so I often finish my coffee as I walk, so I go really slowly lest I stump a toe on a rock hidden in the rabbit grass.

peakbagger
06-10-2016, 07:42
Search for "Ministry of Silly Walks" it will give you all the instructions you need ;)

Seriously don't pattern downhills with hut crews It's a technique I learned from the hut girls in the whites: Short steps, don't put all of your weight on any one step, (sort of like a Chinaman pulling a rickshaw with his quick little jogging steps, if you've ever ridden one of these) A lot of former AMC hut crew members knees are toast in their forties. Running down slopes is hard on the knees, the cartilage damage is done long before a hiker feels it and by then its too late. Extend the length of hiking poles and walk down slopes, after awhile, your poles become a second set of legs and you transfer a lot of load off your knees.

I am far more of an advocate of starting early and ending late. I met a thru hiker in this seventies once in Hanover. He came into camp near dusk and left at dawn. He admitted he was slow but inevitably he would pass the younger hikers who hiked faster but shorter days.

Connie
06-10-2016, 09:35
I learned the hard way trying to push for more milage especially on the down hills. Finished an 80 mile section too quick and came off with shin splits. I was fighting the trail instead of enjoying it. Now I find my rhythm and stick to it. If I want more miles I walk longer into the evening or start out at before dawn.

I am convinced this is correct: HYOH in this instance means hike your own pace.

I am really messed up, physically, if I try to match other's pace - especially a plodding pace of a group. If friendships are involved, agree to meet up at the campsite instead of arranging to walk together.

My stride is that important. My strategy for uphill and down is that important.

I described the "rest step" meaning shifting all weight to one side, the other side momentarily then having a "rest" for steep uphill, and, light on my feet "dancing" on the down slope elsewhere. It works for me. I even have a damaged knee (partially torn left lateral miniscus, treated by 6-months acupuncture - and the Good Feet MAX help) and never have a knee complaint hiking in the mountains.

This works for me. I cover a lot of miles, by breaking camp with only one food item or only one hot drink from a slender small thermos, prepared the night before bed. I eat my "breakfast" on the trail, if at all, preferring to munch until supper before I set up camp. Others, if any, are surprised I show up so far distant, completely refreshed.

In fact, I am getting the impression, from reading about food combinations, I am eating food in an optimum way for energy and for health on the trail, and so, I have gotten away from the idea of meals, at home, except one meal in a day, adding at most a light supper.

Other people are breakfast people, but I am not starting the day with "hard work".

I am starting my day with fresh air and all the beauty of the early morning.

I suggest my "method" covers the miles faster, and as others have said, walk "more".

cmoulder
06-10-2016, 10:02
light on my feet "dancing" on the down slope elsewhere.

I really like that way of putting it. :)

Deadeye
06-10-2016, 12:04
The only advice I ever heard that made any sense at all was to go "like a monkey ballerina".

Otherwise, at the risk of being snarky, it's one foot in front of the other. Like a monkey ballerina.

ggreaves
06-10-2016, 12:32
sort of like a Chinaman pulling a rickshaw with his quick little jogging steps, if you've ever ridden one of these

"Also, Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please"
-Walter Sobchak

dmax
06-10-2016, 20:40
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It'll give me something to think about when I hike and start daydreaming.

Nodust
06-10-2016, 22:33
This has been interesting. Thanks for all the discussion.

As I get older I have to think about ways to be more efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkeeterPee
06-11-2016, 00:09
This talk of shin shin splints has me wondering if the cause is similar to when you get them from running. Basically they are an overuse injury of doing too much too soon. for instance in marathon you start at base of 25mi / week and then build up over 18 weeks or so to get in shape for a marathon. Generally it is recommended to not increase weekly mileage more than 10% per week.

Is hiking the same. Are shin splints from adding too many miles, or perhaps training in flat areas and then hitting the roller coaster hills of the AT? Does anyone study hiking fitness/training like the do running/cycling and other sports?

Dogwood
06-11-2016, 00:12
This is a very good topic. Many people think they know more about the efficiency and proper mechanics of walking than they actually do by evidence of what I see in backpacking. I'm always learning too so don't have a handle on everything.

What is the proper body mechanics for walking faster?
i know when I start out in the mornings, it's kinda of a slower pace than I would like. But I do finally settle into a pace that I like and move right along.
but, I'd like to pick that pace up a little. That would help me knock off some miles before lunch.

Should I push off with my toes as I walk?
i have done this a really picked up the pass for a bit. But the my shins start fealing it...
or
Should I take smaller steps, longer steps,

I realize an earlier start would help.
id just looking for the ways to walk properly that would help me pick up the pace.
Any info on how to walk properly at normal pace is welcome too.

First, amazing that it wasn't mentioned walking mechanics as they relate to efficiency and various terrain. Efficiency in backpacking is important more so the longer one's hike is. Pace and efficient walking mechanics change as a consequence of terrain probably more than any other aspect. For example, stride length although usually smaller on steeper grades and on more precarious unsure footing can be longer on more gradually graded slopes like many parts of the well engineered PCT because it's an equestrian and pedestrian route.

In general I'm standing erect focusing on good posture shoulders very slightly forward. Shoulders are up and back. I'll occasionally push my shoulder blades together putting my shoulders back if posture needs to be improved and to open up my lungs. Chin is level NOT down on my chest. When shoulders roll forward chin naturally tends to go down affecting the quality of the breathing. I'm looking ahead at least 20 ft. All these aspects I work on for form. I'm carrying a light to UL load. Breath is through the nose to go deeply into the lungs hence the need for good posture. It's unstressfully slowly very momentarily held and exhaled out through the mouth. If breathing becomes overly laborious I'll decrease pace or only do it as part of cardio training. I recognize backpacking as an endurance activity since I'm mainly not doing day hikes. Trail running is a bit different as far as breathing where I'll be willing to breathe harder.

When in the groove my feet are rolling with the stride. Partial heel hits first with backpacking but immediately rolls to the toes for slight push off. Trail runners with good flexibility, cut heel, cush in the heel/ball of the foot, and rolled front uplifted toe area that let me roll are what I seek. Overly stiff soled shoes, especially think heavy boots for fats paced hikes are some of the worst IMO. I'll tighten my butt and abs during the motion. It's not about plodding heavily or bouncing. Efficiency in LD walking/backpacking and getting to a faster pace is aided by core strength.

Since I'm not using trekking poles often I swing my arms when in the Zen Zone. It's about gliding, flowing with my body, the environment, etc and everything else. No jerky movements or fighting the momentum. It's about being centered. Light on the feet is the goal. Pull up a You Tube vid of Skurka on the move at The Wave. He's a great example of efficiency of motion.

This article tells what I've talked about I do. http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/walk-your-butt-off/slide/9

Lengthening the stride can surely put more wt on the front leg. Going fast down a steep slope/stairs, /etc locking the front impact leg can result in issues like shin splints. I've done this to myself and almost missed not finishing the PCT in WA because I was running with long strides locking my front leg on steps and/or simply pounding while on descents rather than flowing, floating, gliding… The shin splints were so debilitating I could no longer walk. Here's a good pic of it in a Backpacker article on Pg 2. http://www.backpacker.com/skills/fitness/how-to-walk/2/ However, on very gradually graded meandering switchbacked single track like parts of CT(multi use so the trail is gradual where MBers are also allowed), AZT(multi use for MBers too), or other parts of the PCT in the Mojave Desert(again multi use well graded for equestrians too) I ran with long strides no problem.

Should go without saying but the right shoes for your feet's characteristics and the trail and your style are required.

When I'm seeking 10 before 10 I'm on the go at 6 a.m. maybe 7 a.m.-7.30 a.m. if it's easy terrain. Pace plays a role in meeting the goal but it's about going UL and hiking for the majority of those hrs not sitting around at stops. I can and do work myself into that goal though. I don't always fly out of the gate at a fast pace. Very exciting to me what's around the bend, at the top of that pass, etc.

What allows me to get a quick morning start? Love sunrise(animals are still stirring, like being the first on the trail), UL/less gear to keep track of, cowboy camp or bivy often as conditions allow which equals less packing up, one basic UL kit that suffices for 70% of my hikes(I know how my gear is packed, familiarity), morning affirmations of gratitude, mediating on an inspiring quote/saying/adage(I like Proverbs but will use anything that I feel is positive and energizing), GREAT music at some pt in those hrs, and get whatever I can ready the night before.

Traveler
06-12-2016, 11:40
Having tried to increase stride length, speed of pace, and other body mechanics over about a 40 year period of time, I have not found much to be successful over long term. What it came down to for me was, keep your natural stride/pace/rhythm and walk longer if you need to cover miles by a certain point of time. Less injuries from unnatural stride, twisted ankles from moving too fast over broken ground, and less gasping for air due to rhythm issues.

Lone wolf actually said it best "its just walking", as it applies to this, he's absolutely correct in my view.

rocketsocks
06-12-2016, 11:49
How about this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvxrJx2JdSg).

Or this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BcYyM61XOI). :bananathats what I look like when I have to pee real bad and urination is eminent.

QiWiz
06-13-2016, 09:12
You dont walk farther by walking faster
You do it by walking longer

If you change natural gait, you are begging for problems

Walk a pace you can maintain without stopping for rests, especially uphill. You will lose way more by stopping than steady slower pace.

+1

MW said what I was going to say. The best pace is one you can maintain all day. For big miles, start hiking early and end late, take only essential breaks for water and snacks (rather than meals). Slow down rather than take rest stops on ups and downs. Don't let those with faster natural gaits than yours concern you. HYOH as they say.

Deadeye
06-13-2016, 11:34
"Also, Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please"
-Walter Sobchak Only if said person of Chinese heritage has settled in America.

Trailjockey
06-26-2016, 23:26
Only if said person of Chinese heritage has settled in America.
And that's why they call you Deadeye

munchie
07-19-2016, 00:36
-Walter Sobchak

Butt what if they never set foot in the U.S.? And they're really from China? Can they still be called a Chinaman?

Maydog
07-19-2016, 01:17
Chinamen from China that still live in China are just called dudes.

Engine
07-19-2016, 06:29
Chinamen from China that still live in China are just called dudes.

Dude in Mandarin would properly be 多德...

Secondmouse
07-19-2016, 10:44
I find the easiest way to increase pace is to change channels of that repetitive song in my head. anything by Joan Jett is particularly helpful...

Trailjockey
07-19-2016, 12:08
I find the easiest way to increase pace is to change channels of that repetitive song in my head. anything by Joan Jett is particularly helpful...
Up the mountain: Stairway to Heaven
Down the mountain: Black Dog

Gee, I think I just gave away my age.:(

Venchka
07-19-2016, 21:02
Up the mountain: Stairway to Heaven
Down the mountain: Black Dog

Gee, I think I just gave away my age.:(

[emoji3][emoji106][emoji41] No worries. You're in good company.
Radar Love and Twilight Zone work for me.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

Secondmouse
07-20-2016, 15:43
Joan Jett - Do You Wanna Touch Me?... no better song for making time on level ground with hiking poles.

up hill? Stevie Ray Vaughn Crossfire or Superstition. heck any SRV really...

MtDoraDave
08-01-2016, 07:22
My level ground pace is 3.2 mph, give or take. When in shape, I maintain that pace on slight inclines.

If I try to increase that pace - like for a workout, to get my heart rate up because I'm only doing a few miles, I sweat a lot more and breath considerably harder. It's not a pace I would want to try to maintain on the trail.

I'm usually the pace setter in my hiking pairing. Once, when I was out solo hiking, I met up with and hiked with a few other guys. The hiked faster than my accustomed speed; I was sore for 3 days.

...and, as others have said, if I'm winded or tired from hiking even a little faster than my comfortable speed, my chances of stumbling or twisting an ankle go up dramatically.

egilbe
08-01-2016, 07:59
My GF and I did the 13 mile section between RT 17 and RT 4 this weekend. We were happy to average 2 MPH and its a fairly easy section for Maine. 35648

We were flying down this trail.

Odd Man Out
08-01-2016, 15:18
Several comments above have pointed out that it is difficult and inefficient to change your normal gait rhythm. Walking mechanics functions as an inverted pendulum. As you take a step, your center of mass goes up which requires energy, but you get that energy from your forward momentum. You get that energy back as your center of mass drops (as your leg goes past vertical). When working most efficiently, you transfer your momentum/energy to your other leg as you take a step and the process repeats on the other leg.

You will notice that when a pendulum swings, it has a natural frequency and very little energy is needed to keep it swinging. You really can't make a pendulum swing faster or slower without changing the length of the pendulum. This explains why it is difficult to change your gait. Walking faster or slower than normal requires more energy. (try explaining this to my wife who complains that I always walk too fast). Here is a link to a scholarly article that discusses some of these principles.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/7916225_Energetic_Consequences_of_Walking_Like_an_ Inverted_Pendulum_Step-to-Step_Transitions

rocketsocks
08-01-2016, 17:50
Several comments above have pointed out that it is difficult and inefficient to change your normal gait rhythm. Walking mechanics functions as an inverted pendulum. As you take a step, your center of mass goes up which requires energy, but you get that energy from your forward momentum. You get that energy back as your center of mass drops (as your leg goes past vertical). When working most efficiently, you transfer your momentum/energy to your other leg as you take a step and the process repeats on the other leg.

You will notice that when a pendulum swings, it has a natural frequency and very little energy is needed to keep it swinging. You really can't make a pendulum swing faster or slower without changing the length of the pendulum. This explains why it is difficult to change your gait. Walking faster or slower than normal requires more energy. (try explaining this to my wife who complains that I always walk too fast). Here is a link to a scholarly article that discusses some of these principles.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/7916225_Energetic_Consequences_of_Walking_Like_an_ Inverted_Pendulum_Step-to-Step_Transitionsthat analogy explains it perfectly to me and my way of thinkin' so thanks for that.

Doctari
08-01-2016, 20:30
As stated above, Walk how YOU walk!! Other than right foot, left foot, right foot, left foot, repeat for a few thousand miles. The only advice I can offer is: Be ABSOLUTELY sure you plant your feet as Flat as possible!! When on rough terrain, make extra sure you know how you are stepping. Even 0.001 seconds lapse in that at the wrong time could be trip ending. I'm not saying stare at your feet all the time you are walking*, but be aware of what is coming your way trail wise.

*staring at your feet is a good way to not see that great view, the bear that is really a cow, the bear that is really a bear, the low hanging branch that is just above your field of vision but below the top of your skull,,, yea, it hurt!

rafe
08-01-2016, 22:26
Walk this way...

https://youtu.be/Twf0ffG0v_8

Venchka
08-01-2016, 22:38
Walk this way...

https://youtu.be/Twf0ffG0v_8

Brilliant.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

Odd Man Out
08-01-2016, 23:10
In case you haven't seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2ViNJFZC8

jjozgrunt
08-02-2016, 06:31
The only thing I can add is for the sore knee people coming down steep hills. Try this technique for steep hills. Looks silly but I tried it on a 800m descent over 2.3kms with a through pack (2620' over 1.42 miles), quite steep, and my knees were fine at the bottom. Of course my quads were killing me as they were taking all the strain. If you practice it you can prolong your years of bushwalking, and your muscles get used to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL8j_x5B4Nc Have a look at some of his other videos, they specialise in getting people ready for climbing/trekking. Some good advice in there.

rafe
08-02-2016, 08:17
many more ways to walk...

https://youtu.be/OK8iNBiO05M

Another Kevin
08-04-2016, 17:42

There's a sailors' proverb: Never piss to windward! But I think there's also a Skurka story I haven't heard. :confused:

Dogwood
08-04-2016, 19:51
Walk to the sound of your own drum.

Walk 99 MPH baby because that's how fast you'd like to go.

Walk 1000 miles just to see her.

Dogwood
08-04-2016, 20:03
Walk like...an Egyptian.

Badha ba bah. Badha ba bah.

rocketsocks
08-04-2016, 20:47
There's a sailors' proverb: Never piss to windward! But I think there's also a Skurka story I haven't heard. :confused:that surely gives "ridiculous" a whole new meaning :D