PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Velcro Omni-tape?

txulrich
01-03-2006, 18:12
Ok, so I've ordered the material to make an underquilt for my hammock. I would like to use Velcro Omni-tape on some of the edges. I've called my local Jo-Ann Fabrics and they don't stock it. Anybody have any ideas where I can get a couple of yards? Thanks.

Seeker
01-03-2006, 18:21
Ok, so I've ordered the material to make an underquilt for my hammock. I would like to use Velcro Omni-tape on some of the edges. I've called my local Jo-Ann Fabrics and they don't stock it. Anybody have any ideas where I can get a couple of yards? Thanks.

walmart? seems to me i found some there once. i think campmore sells it too, but that might be double-sided, for keeping things like hiking or fishing poles together and in place on your pack.

general
01-03-2006, 18:22
try thru-hiker.com or maybe outdoor wilderness fabrics. outdoor wilderness fabrics offers wholesale prices if the quanity is large enough, probably not on a couple of yards though. their prices are completely reasonable at retail as well.

txulrich
01-03-2006, 20:39
try thru-hiker.com or maybe outdoor wilderness fabrics. outdoor wilderness fabrics offers wholesale prices if the quanity is large enough, probably not on a couple of yards though. their prices are completely reasonable at retail as well.

I tried thru-hiker and ordered most of my stuff there. OWF has something called H&LONE. I'll call them tomorrow and see if this is the stuff. Thanks for the lead.

Just Jeff
01-03-2006, 23:08
I've found some 18" omni-tape at Walmart.

peter_pan
01-04-2006, 09:17
Jo Annes and Hancock fabrics stores will have omni tape....They do not know it as omni tape, which is a trade term...they know it as "no snag Velcro" ... It only comes packaged as 36 inches and is 3/4 inch.... expect it to be pricey about $ 3.95 or more per 36 in pkg.

Pan

Patrick
01-04-2006, 15:22
tx,

Don't tease us, man. We need pictures, plans, and details.

txulrich
01-04-2006, 17:57
tx,

Don't tease us, man. We need pictures, plans, and details.

Well, (wait a minute, live Zeppelin) :clap (ok, I'm back) I plan on modeling it after the JRB quilt, 1.1 oz ripstop DWR for a shell, .8 oz ripstop for the liner, about 3" baffles (all from thru-hiker) and 900 fill down from Ed Speers. The omni-tape is for the lower sides if I need/want to use it as a top quilt. (saaaaaweet, live Zeppelin followed by live Skynard :banana ) I haven't yet decided if I'll put a head hole in it like the sniveler. :-?

I'll post pictures along the way. Right now I'm waiting for material. I've talked my mom into running the sewing machine for me. I'll play general contractor and down stuffer. More to follow.

rhjanes
01-04-2006, 18:12
home depot and lowe's also have a large selection of velcro products

Two Speed
01-04-2006, 19:26
Local army & navy surplus sells velcro here in lovely May'retta

Just Jeff
01-04-2006, 19:29
Somebody please shoot that damn banana.

Good luck on your quilt.

Patrick
01-05-2006, 15:17
That sounds great. Thru-Hiker is an awesome site. Have you seen Dennis Klinsky's down underquilt plans there?

http://www.thru-hiker.com/workshop.asp?subcat=5&cid=72

I think the head hole is a really great idea. I'll definitely be putting one in when I get around to making myself a new top quilt.

txulrich
01-05-2006, 15:33
That sounds great. Thru-Hiker is an awesome site. Have you seen Dennis Klinsky's down underquilt plans there?

http://www.thru-hiker.com/workshop.asp?subcat=5&cid=72

I think the head hole is a really great idea. I'll definitely be putting one in when I get around to making myself a new top quilt.

I have seen the plans for Dennis' quilt. If I were to make a dedicated bottom quilt, I would meld yours and his together. I really like the flexability of the JRB design and the lighter weight of down. I'm tending to lean in favor of a head hole. Mine will have the thickness of the JRB Old Rag Mtn and should get me through 98% of the weather conditions I will see.

Patrick
01-05-2006, 18:19
Sounds like you have a good plan for a versatile quilt, Joe. Be sure to post pictures when you're done and as you go.

txulrich
01-09-2006, 22:34
Ok. The materials have arrived. Ed Speer even had a sale and I saved 10% on the down (sale is on till the end of January). Just gotta stop at Jo-Ann Fabric to get polyester thread and velcro. I have MLK day off, so if Monday is ok with my mom, I'll have a new quilt next week!!!!

Just Jeff
01-10-2006, 00:43
Yeah - expensive thread is definitely worth it. I used to try the $.50 stuff at Walmart and couldn't run a seam without it breaking. Switch to Guterman's and haven't had a problem since.

general
01-10-2006, 09:08
nylon b46 may be better for what your doing than the polyester. Bonded Nylon doesn't unravel and is all the strength you'll ever need. the polyester may pop when punching through the backing of the velcro.

hammock engineer
01-11-2006, 01:04
I'm working on buying the materials for to make a top and underquilt.

Does the velcro you are talking about stick the the netting on the HH? I take it from the no snag post above it won't. I called OWF and was told that they did not have any velcro that would not stick to the netting.

peter_pan
01-11-2006, 09:15
I'm working on buying the materials for to make a top and underquilt.

Does the velcro you are talking about stick the the netting on the HH? I take it from the no snag post above it won't. I called OWF and was told that they did not have any velcro that would not stick to the netting.

Hammock Engineer,

Re read post # 6 for where to buy in retail quantities....OWF does not carry this stuff...And this stuff does not stick to No seeum.

FWIW, there are hundreds of JRB underquilts out there, most on HH, All with omni-tape and none with sticking problems.

Pan

txulrich
01-11-2006, 10:18
Hammock Engineer,

Re read post # 6 for where to buy in retail quantities....OWF does not carry this stuff...And this stuff does not stick to No seeum.

FWIW, there are hundreds of JRB underquilts out there, most on HH, All with omni-tape and none with sticking problems.

Pan

I've never had a problem with the omni-tape sticking to the netting. The only sticking I've experienced is using my Nest in the winter mode. It will stick to the HH opening and not slide back into position. Now that I'm aware that it can happen, I make sure that it slides back properly.

hammock engineer
01-11-2006, 12:09
I thought that was what everyone was talking about I just wanted to make sure.

Pan and Patrick, thanks for all the help. I would buy your products, I just am having money issues and need to save as much as I can for my though. I also like idea of making my own gear and being more self suffienct.

Patrick
01-11-2006, 13:26
engineer,

No problem at all. It's much more interesting talking to people and trying to help out than sewing.

Nothing beats being outside and relying on gear you made yourself.

Much as I love my HH, Just Jeff sent me a homemade hammock to play with and I'm burning with jealousy. Guess that'll be next on my list. If only I didn't have this office job...

hammock engineer
01-12-2006, 13:29
I found some at Walmart for $2.75 for 36in. Pricey, but worth it. Great stuff won't stick to anything else.

Thanks

mike!
01-14-2006, 05:06
just curious, how is the holding strength of Omni-tape compared to traditional velcro?
thanks!
mike!

peter_pan
01-14-2006, 08:43
just curious, how is the holding strength of Omni-tape compared to traditional velcro?
thanks!
mike!

Mike ,

Traditional for equal widths velcro is a little better initially...But... omni-tape will be stronger after a year or two... Since most use comparisions are not equal widths, the omni-tape is almost always wider, thus superior hold even from the start....IMHO.

Understand this.... most velcro applications are 3/4 or 1/2 inch wide ( ie. HH slit is 1/2)....Most velcro is also, not velcro but Hook and loop ( brand X).... Omni-tape is 1 inch wide...so it is 25-50 % more surface gripping....Sewing outlet "No Snag Velcro" is 3/4 inch... so, it is also better than 1/2...

The hook side of velcro besides scratchy is notorious for loading with lint, hair and dirt, to the extent that its effectiveness can sereously degrade... It can be cleaned and renewed with a wire brush, but this is less that the best for the hooks as the wires wear them some.

Omni-tape does not load up with stuff because its hooks are lightly covered with its "fuzzy" ... it does not scratch ( it aint silk now), It does not load up with lint and dirt when used with routine care ( ie. don't stomp it in the dirt by walking on it).

Pan

txulrich
01-24-2006, 10:34
Well, I finished my quilt this weekend. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can get them loaded. I only had my cell phone camera with me, so the quality won't be very good.

Anyway, I weighed it this morning on a scale at work. It came in at 22 oz., just 1 once more than my JRB nest. The outer shell is 1.1 oz gray DWR ripstop nylon, the inner is 0.8 oz nylon (I call it the gray ghost). I used 900 down and cut the baffles for 2.75 of loft. For simplicity and my mom's sanity (she ran the sewing machine and did most of the work), I did not put a head hole in it. That doesn't bother me too much as it will be my bottom quilt and I can use my Nest as a sarape if I need to.

We closed off the bathroom in my mom's apartment and I used the shower stall for stuffing the down. In the final tally, I'm glad that I did this project, it was a great mother and son thing to do. However, I would not do it again. Hand stuffing down is not a fun thing and it gets EVERYWHERE! I cant emphasize this enough.

Pictures to follow soon.

txulrich
03-27-2006, 13:16
I know it's pretty lame, but I just got out with the scouts this past weekend and was able to use my quilt for the first time. The recorded low on Saturday morning was 32* with very little breeze. I setup my HH with the quilt and the JRB weather shield. I used my JRB nest as a top quilt. I had a pad as a backup if it got too cold. I wore polypro longjohns and a pair of socks. I had forgot to bring my hat. I can honestly report that I was pretty toasty with this setup. I probably could have gone another 10-15* w/o having to add a pad or other insulation.

Sunday morning was only 44* and I was quite warm. I almost took off the socks at one point, but then it was morning, so I didn't.

BTW, for those who are into Scouting, our troop beat the evil empire. They had won the camporee the previous 2 years and went around chanting and throwing it in everyones face the entire weekend. They only took 1st in one event, we took 5 and even swept one entire event. I will say that crow is a dish best served cold and can be a bit difficult to swallow!!!!

krazyvan
03-27-2006, 17:52
I'm thinking of a similar project Joe...can't wait to see some finished pics!

txulrich
03-28-2006, 09:56
I'm thinking of a similar project Joe...can't wait to see some finished pics!

Ok, ok. You're gonna force me to get the camera out and get some pics. I'll have to set it up in the park down the street. I don't have enough trees in the backyard.

tlbj6142
03-28-2006, 16:30
However, I would not do it again. Hand stuffing down is not a fun thing and it gets EVERYWHERE! I cant emphasize this enough.I did not find this to be true. I sat on the ground in a room with little air movement (room in the basement), put a bit of baby powder on my hand and grabbed small "chunks" of down from the bulk bag (purchased from thru-hiker) and stuffed it into the baffles. Once a baffle was full (determined by the weight loss of the bulk bag), I would tape the baffle shut. I might have "lost" a couple of grams of down in the process. But it vacuumed up in seconds.

txulrich
03-28-2006, 17:44
I did not find this to be true. I sat on the ground in a room with little air movement (room in the basement), put a bit of baby powder on my hand and grabbed small "chunks" of down from the bulk bag (purchased from thru-hiker) and stuffed it into the baffles. Once a baffle was full (determined by the weight loss of the bulk bag), I would tape the baffle shut. I might have "lost" a couple of grams of down in the process. But it vacuumed up in seconds.

I used my Mom's shower stall with the curtain pulled and the bathroom door closed. I had down all over the floor in the shower and some escaped into the bathroom. I vacuumed the bathroom 3 times and some still escaped to the main living area. She told me a week later she would still find a little here and there.

I used the handfull method to ration the down and then pinned the baffle shut in the seam area. The total amount of down on the floor might have been 1 to 2 handfuls (out of 12 ounces), but the way it spreads and floats, it was everywhere. I posted before that it was a good Mother/Son project and I'm glad I did it. For the money saved (about $40), I would buy one instead.

tlbj6142
03-29-2006, 10:32
For the money saved (about $40), I would buy one instead.Assuming you built the hungry howie quilt from thru-hiker with 0.8oz fabric you saved yourself almost $175 given that the same bag from Nunatak will run you $365.

txulrich
03-29-2006, 12:03
Assuming you built the hungry howie quilt from thru-hiker with 0.8oz fabric you saved yourself almost $175 given that the same bag from Nunatak will run you $365.

I modeled mine after the JRB Old Rag Mtn Quilt. It runs about $270. The down was about $100, the fabric from thru-hiker was a little over $100 and the supplies from Jo-Ann was another ~$25. Still, it was a great experience.