PDA

View Full Version : Extra-large pack?

newtgirl
06-10-2016, 10:27
My partner is 6'4", 240lbs. A wide-shouldered guy. He currently has a GoLite in a size Large; it's adjustable to an extent, but the torso length just isn't long enough.

He'd like something along the lines of the Osprey's with the mesh back, but I can't seem to find anything larger than a large. Do they exist? Should he consider external frame (to which he isn't opposed)?

newtgirl
06-10-2016, 10:35
Along those lines, I have a deuter 45+10 (women's) that I find adequate, but the shoulder straps are a little narrow and can cut into my neck. I've been considering a 'men's pack' for the strap spacing, but I would prefer a women's hip belt. I've got some lovely pack-carrying hips, so I like the conical shape over a men's belt. Does anybody make interchangable hip belts where I could use a women's belt on a men's pack?

Venchka
06-10-2016, 10:59
Call Osprey. The Aether line comes in gender specific models and the belts are removable. ULA packs have similar features at time of purchase. Call them too.

Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

Hosh
06-10-2016, 11:51
Depending on your budget, Zpacks or another cottage manufacturer can do custom sizing. Osprey's packs are excellent, another fine Colorado company, but are heavy. I sold both a Aether 70 and a Exos 58 to lower my base weight.

Connie
06-10-2016, 12:31
I have broad shoulders.

I like HMG. Look at HMG. HMG has a reasonably tough cuben fiber material.

I have also had Lowe Alpine: I suggest the latest Mountain Attack or Alpine Attack might suit you. Look at Lowe Alpine. Lowe Alpine has fabric and a back material help avoid a sweat-soaked back in warmer weather or from exertion.

capehiker
06-10-2016, 13:04
The more important question is, what is his torso length? That answer will yield a better result to your question.

Hikingjim
06-10-2016, 14:16
does the pack that you think has too small a torso length not reach the hip bones?
The torso length on most long packs should be more than suitable for most people 6'4. I am the same height and actually take a medium pack because my hip bones come up pretty high and I have long legs

should measure his torso length and see what kind of numbers we're looking at
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/backpacks-torso-hip-size.html

AfterParty
06-10-2016, 15:32
Depending on how weight conscience he is mystery ranch makes high quality very adjustable packs. They are kinda heavy but very comfortable and built to last.

Huli
06-10-2016, 15:37
I agree with what Hikingjim said. Many larger framed people have a difficult time getting a properly sized pack to feel like it fits right due to body proportion.

newtgirl
06-10-2016, 18:06
He (grudgingly) submitted to my measuring him, and we came out at around 22 inches. I readjusted his GoLite, and he says it's 'different'. *eyeroll*. He also feels like his torso isn't as long as it seems, but I think maybe he wears his pack too high on his gut. *shrug* HYOH. We'll see how that works on the next hike.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Huli
06-10-2016, 21:20
Find the top of his hip bone (iliac Crest). Adjust the hip belt it so when weight is applied in the pack it puts the load onto the hip bone at that point secure, and snug. Should NE able to support the entire pack that way with the shoulder straps loose or even off.

Huli
06-10-2016, 21:21
Should be able to support....

Sorry, app won't let me edit.

capehiker
06-10-2016, 23:57
He (grudgingly) submitted to my measuring him, and we came out at around 22 inches. I readjusted his GoLite, and he says it's 'different'. *eyeroll*. He also feels like his torso isn't as long as it seems, but I think maybe he wears his pack too high on his gut. *shrug* HYOH. We'll see how that works on the next hike.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

22" isn't out of the ordinary for a 6'4". I'm 6'2" and I'm a 22.5" torso. ULA packs make an XL size for torsos 21-14" and can be fine tuned.