PDA

View Full Version : Looking for place suggestions backpacking with 6 year old, near Atlanta

tombolino
06-10-2016, 11:36
Looking for place suggestions backpacking with 6 year old, near Atlanta. This would be the 1st backpack, 1-2 nights.

Need something that will amaze my 6 year old with views or waterfalls or something and lots of easy water sources along and no intense climbs.

:)

Nodust
06-10-2016, 11:45
Three forks on the AT. Easy hike up to long creek falls. Plenty of water to splash in and cool off.

HooKooDooKu
06-10-2016, 14:51
If you don't mind the couple of hours it takes to reach the Smokies, I can suggest hikes there. Been taking my boys since they were 7yo.

If you're not familiar with the GSMNP back country, start here with their back country map (https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/GSMNP-Map_JUNE14-complete4-2.pdf).

One good example would be a two night loop starting from the Twentymile Ranger Station (lower left on the map) and spending the 1st night at campsite #92. There's a small water fall along the way and you're by a creek that 1st night. The 2nd day would be to climb to the view at Gregory Bald and camp at #13. The third day would complete the loop on Wolf Ridge Trail.

Note that campsite #13 is popular, so you have to get your campsite reservations early (though last I saw the campsite was temporarily closed). But if GSMNP interests you, I can make other suggestions as well.

saltysack
06-10-2016, 16:12
Standing Indian loop would be a nice 3 day hike at 22-24 miles...I did it with my 8 yr old...just outside franklin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronbo17
06-10-2016, 17:54
These are in and back out trails all are near water. I find with my seven year old, it's all about the water and campfires. For a good first run i would try these:
High Shoal Falls near Helen. It's a mile or two in (down hill) with camping spots close to the falls. Uphill on the way out, but not bad. Plus you can stop in at Helen if things go south...
Panther Creek just south of Tallulah Falls. I haven't been there in a while but it's close to ATL and i believe there are multiple camp sites along the creek... You will want to get further input on this....anyone can chime in about this suggestions
The trip to three forks is really good too. We parked there and hiked to the Hawk mountain shelter and camped. Then backtracked the next day...(.I haven't been to the Hawk mountain shelter since they've built the camping spots) I heard they were getting rid of the shelter and just going with camping platforms? can anyone confirm?

hobby
06-10-2016, 18:15
These are in and back out trails all are near water. I find with my seven year old, it's all about the water and campfires. For a good first run i would try these:
High Shoal Falls near Helen. It's a mile or two in (down hill) with camping spots close to the falls. Uphill on the way out, but not bad. Plus you can stop in at Helen if things go south...
Panther Creek just south of Tallulah Falls. I haven't been there in a while but it's close to ATL and i believe there are multiple camp sites along the creek... You will want to get further input on this....anyone can chime in about this suggestions
The trip to three forks is really good too. We parked there and hiked to the Hawk mountain shelter and camped. Then backtracked the next day...(.I haven't been to the Hawk mountain shelter since they've built the camping spots) I heard they were getting rid of the shelter and just going with camping platforms? can anyone confirm?

+1 Panther Creek plenty of campsites and water sources plus a great waterfall with pool at the bottom for wading/fishing

bstiffler
06-10-2016, 19:39

Hawk Mountain shelter was still there in May when I was on the trail. there were probably 20-30 people there on Sunday night. From what I heard they had added the new campsites to take some of the pressure off the shelter areas.

MuddyWaters
06-10-2016, 20:02
Looking for place suggestions backpacking with 6 year old, near Atlanta. This would be the 1st backpack, 1-2 nights.

Need something that will amaze my 6 year old with views or waterfalls or something and lots of easy water sources along and no intense climbs.

:)

Yep, you can park right there at three forks, camp along creek, walk to falls. Beat me to it. Does get a bit confusing with the different blazes so be a bit careful and have a map.

HooKooDooKu
06-11-2016, 00:18
Standing Indian loop would be a nice 3 day hike at 22-24 miles...I did it with my 8 yr old...just outside franklin

OP sounds like this might be son's 1st hike. If so, until you've gotten a chance to test his abilities, you should limit distance to 1 mile per year of age (6mpd in this case).

BTW, my suggestion does involve a major climb the 2nd day, but my kids did it without any trouble. (Actually the kids usually did better on hills than I did).

saltysack
06-11-2016, 11:17
OP sounds like this might be son's 1st hike. If so, until you've gotten a chance to test his abilities, you should limit distance to 1 mile per year of age (6mpd in this case).

BTW, my suggestion does involve a major climb the 2nd day, but my kids did it without any trouble. (Actually the kids usually did better on hills than I did).

Yea good call...my kid isn't your typical kid!!! He's got more go than my Jack Russell....just add sugar!!

Secondmouse
06-11-2016, 11:50
jeez, dude. you just did this exact same thread a few weeks ago. did you not get the right answers?..

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/118311-backpack-with-6-year-old-1-2-nights-in-GA?highlight=

brian2o0o
06-13-2016, 22:54
Chattooga River Trail/ Foothills Trail. Only a couple hours drive from Atlanta, sections of the trail follow the Chattooa river, a few nice waterfalls along the trail, and plenty of water sources.

tombolino
06-14-2016, 18:42
@secondmouse. You are right, I totally forgot I had started that thread. My apologies.

saltysack
06-15-2016, 06:33
Chattooga River Trail/ Foothills Trail. Only a couple hours drive from Atlanta, sections of the trail follow the Chattooa river, a few nice waterfalls along the trail, and plenty of water sources.

+1...don't think I'd want to do fht in summer...I did 3.5 day thru in late April and already lil warm.....cool trail though

plexusbritt
06-15-2016, 07:56
Panther creek! Last 4th of July weekend I took my hubby on his first backpacking trip there.

Campsites along the falls were very messy and we ended up packing trash out. Also, their were a lot of large boulders scattered about the shoreline near the falls so walking around then bend not only helped the night to be much warmer, it got us away from the folks all cramped up around the falls.

HooKooDooKu
06-15-2016, 13:08
...don't think I'd want to do fht in summer...
That's one of the nice things about a GSMNP hike to Gregory Bald, the elevation is above 4,500' at the campsite, and the terrain is such that there is always a nice wind blowing thru the campsite.
Unfortunately the camp sight is currently closed, but could open back up at any time.