PDA

View Full Version : Rhododendron flowers at Carvers Gap/Roan Mountain/AT?

Heather1027
06-10-2016, 14:25
This may seem like an off the wall question so forgive me. I'm a photographer, lol.

I might day hike the AT in 10 days with the purpose of photographing the rhododendron flowers at Carver's Gap/Roan Mountain. I know there are two trails, one you get on the AT by crossing the parking lot to the fence. The other one I'm assuming is at the parking lot? Which trail is where I will find the flowers?

I'm also going again over July 4th to hike from Carver's Gap to 19e, will the flowers still be in bloom? Just curious in case something comes up and I can't make it there on the 20th.

Sorry for the weird question, my daughter will be at orientation at App State and I have a full day of nothing to do. Figured I would take a hike. :)

Gambit McCrae
06-10-2016, 16:03
Not a weird question at all. If you driver up the road, (vertically)not past carvers but up to cloudland resort site, there is a dead end trail that will take you to a porch of sorts that overlooks the largest of the rhodo gardens.

If you get on the AT and hike north from carvers gap, you will see lots of rhodo in bloom.

You can also call the state park visitor center, and state you are planning a trip to their park..."are the rhodos in bloom?" and they will happily explain what stage the rhodos are in ei blooming or past bloom

MuddyWaters
06-10-2016, 20:48
Well, peak is usually about third week of june.
Theres a handful of professional photographers which start hiking up top of Jane Bald from the gap every morning to take pics starting in early june. Weather can knock blooms down overnight, or light is poor, hazy, etc. Only once every couple yrs do they get the really good pics they are after .

There will be some blooms always, the real photo hounds are after the money shots, and they are rare.

rocketsocks
06-11-2016, 00:37
Well, peak is usually about third week of june.
Theres a handful of professional photographers which start hiking up top of Jane Bald from the gap every morning to take pics starting in early june. Weather can knock blooms down overnight, or light is poor, hazy, etc. Only once every couple yrs do they get the really good pics they are after .

There will be some blooms always, the real photo hounds are after the money shots, and they are rare.
the money shot? Ya mean like pistol and stamen being coveted by a bee.

MuddyWaters
06-11-2016, 03:53
the money shot? Ya mean like pistol and stamen being coveted by a bee.

Just the ones they can sell

Heather1027
06-13-2016, 13:39
Thanks so much! Very helpful!

illabelle
06-13-2016, 14:31
We did an overnight near Carver's Gap this weekend. The views were outstanding!! Be sure you allow time to hike the Grassy Ridge Trail, which heads east into NC from a point a little north of Jane Bald. The trail climbs a little, then levels out on top with wide open grass - lots of tents set up here and there. After the crest, it descends towards the end of the ridge. When you reach a little overlook and you think you might be at the end of the trail, you'll see a peak just beyond someone called "Purple Mountain" - absolutely covered in rhododendron. The trail continues. It dips down and crosses a grassy saddle below the peak where people camp. Then the trail continues with an exploration of Purple Mountain. The trail is narrow, and the rhodies are thick and tall, but my oh my they are gorgeous. Don't put it off, or a storm will come through and wreck it all. Whatever you're doing, just stop, gas up the car, and go!

soilman
06-13-2016, 18:06
I hiked from the top of Roan to Hump Mt and back last year a couple of days before the annual rhododendron festival (the third weekend in June) with the hope of catching the flowers in bloom. I was probably a week or two late. I only saw one or two that had any blooms.

waywardfool
06-13-2016, 21:39
We just got back today (Monday 13th). We go every year, usually around the 2nd weekend of June. This trip for us is more photography oriented, than hiking. In the past, we have rented a house in the Burbank area, this year we camped at the state park.

As soilman said, last year was early, and most were past prime by the 2nd weekend. This year, they are late...lots of budding out, need another week or so, and some warm days. But...next weekend will be crazy up there. Third weekend of June is the Rhododendron festival, and it can get very crowded, traffic backups along 143 at the park, parking lots up top full, etc.

We usually get up by 4 am each day, get ready, and drive to Carvers Gap, park, and start hiking by 445 or 5. Parking areas, and even the overflow parking (on TN side a short ways down from the gap) fill up starting around 5am on weekends...we usually beat the crowd, barely. Doesn't take long to walk to the top of Round Bald for sunrise. After sunrise, we usually hike on towards Grassy Ridge, lots more rhododendron and flame azaleas. Usually had our fill by 10am when light starts getting harsh, then move on

The 'gardens' up on top of Roan are neat to get some shots...road heads up to the top from right at Carver's Gap. You get to a pay station...three bucks per day per car...paved road right after that goes right to the site of the old hotel. Gravel road bears to the left and goes a short distance to the parking area for the gardens. Well worth a stroll thru there (concrete walkways), and you have enough cover to shoot there mid-day. Drive on past the gardens parking area, and the road will split, one way traffic to the right. About halfway around, you'll see a pull off, small sign...says something like Cloudland Trail overlook 0.5 miles. There is a viewing platform at the end of this trail that is great for sunsets. (you can also start the cloudland trail at the old hotel site, but that's a long walk back to your car after dark).

DP

waywardfool
06-13-2016, 21:50
some pics from last year....

Sunset from the Cloudland Trail overlook on top of the Roan:

Sunrise from Round bald:

waywardfool
06-13-2016, 22:06
One more neat thing we found this weekend...there is a part of the state park (couple of miles from 19-E on TN 143, maybe 8 miles down from Carvers Gap) that is an old farm. Called the "Miller Farmstead" House built in 1870, Millers lived there until the 1960s. Old barn, old house makes for an interesting visit.

BUT, the neat thing...after you turn off 143 onto the road leading to the Miller place, thru the gate (and the 4 or so signs up the road stating and restating that the gate closes at 5 pm), I think its right as you come into the gravel parking lot for the farmstead, there is a gravel road off to the right, sign says scenic overlook. Go that way (not far, maybe half mile?) and up top is a cemetary...just to your right you will see a wood viewing platform. There is a map/sign explaining what you are seeing, but it is basically a side view of the entire ridge line that the AT follows, from about Round bald to Doll Flats. All the mountains and points of interest are ID"d on the sign. Pretty neat, especially if you have hiked that whole section.

waywardfool
06-13-2016, 23:29
Just downloaded pics from this weekend....sunrise at Round Bald yesterday....Fire in the sky

tndude
06-14-2016, 11:56
I'm also going again over July 4th to hike from Carver's Gap to 19e, will the flowers still be in bloom?

Most will be gone by then. The peak only lasts about a week or so. My girlfriend and I did an after work hike last night to Jane Bald and back from Carvers Gap and it is peak time right now. It was also about the best I've ever seen up there. The conditions where perfect with low humidity and everything.

saltysack
06-14-2016, 13:34
Just downloaded pics from this weekend....sunrise at Round Bald yesterday....Fire in the sky

Nice pics...how were temps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

illabelle
06-14-2016, 13:54
....how were temps?

Weekend forecast for Knoxville was mid-90s. For Carver's Gap & vicinity, it was mid-70s. Actually put a jacket on in the evening.

saltysack
06-14-2016, 14:03
Weekend forecast for Knoxville was mid-90s. For Carver's Gap & vicinity, it was mid-70s. Actually put a jacket on in the evening.

Thx...sounds nice! unfortunately it will be about a month before I get back out.....after last August I swore I'd never hike in the summer!!! Go figure....

Tennessee Viking
06-14-2016, 22:51
Follow the now-open gated road from Carvers Gap to Cloudland Parking lot or the Garden Parking Lot. The gardens will be the most packed with tourists. You can also venture to Roan High Bluff. There will be some rodos on the AT north of Carvers.

Secondmouse
06-15-2016, 10:06

I'm doing Carver's Gap to Damascus starting this weekend. what type of temps should I prepare for? do I need my puffy jacket?..

illabelle
06-15-2016, 10:59
I'm doing Carver's Gap to Damascus starting this weekend. what type of temps should I prepare for? do I need my puffy jacket?..

Looks like highs in the mid-60s, lows in the mid-50s this weekend.
https://www.atweather.org/forecast?myTrail=&myState=&myShelter=57

Personally I wouldn't carry a puffy, but I would have a fleece jacket.

Be sure to take the Grassy Ridge Trail, going east into NC a little north of Jane Bald. The GRT is only about a mile long. See post #7 above.

saltysack
06-15-2016, 11:05

Doubt you will need with those temps but add rain and wind can get chilly...I always have my ul puffy if nothing else makes a good pillow...

Gambit McCrae
06-15-2016, 11:17
I could possibly be tenting on a treeless mountain top above 6300' this weekend in the roan area, Im taking my puffy down just for that reason. Cold front is pushing thru.

carouselambra
06-15-2016, 12:12
Based off a scan of the Meet Up groups in NC and VA, this area is going to get a lot of visitors this weekend.

Tennessee Viking
06-15-2016, 13:46
Lows in 40s Highs in 60s with chance of thunderstorm then sunny

Secondmouse
06-15-2016, 17:24
it's hard to believe I'm even discussing a puffy suffering here in ATL with mid 90's temps. but I've been at altitude before and know what I should know, so why I asked the question. maybe I'll just take my fleece and puffy vest! or wrap up in my hammock under quilt if it gets cold...

thanks...

Heather1027
06-16-2016, 10:05
These are absolutely amazing!!!

Heather1027
06-16-2016, 10:06
Looks like I won't be able to make the trail this weekend after all. We're going during the 4th instead. Bummer! If anyone does go, can you take some pics of the flowers? Would love to see it! :)

Heather1027
06-16-2016, 10:07
These are absolutely amazing!!!

Whoops, I meant to reply with quote about the pics from Roan Mountain. :D

Gambit McCrae
06-16-2016, 11:21
Looks like I won't be able to make the trail this weekend after all. We're going during the 4th instead. Bummer! If anyone does go, can you take some pics of the flowers? Would love to see it! :)

Ill take a snapshot or two, as long as I am alone as I would not want to disturb anyone with my smartphone usage :dance