PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help with hiking stick length

Heather1027
06-10-2016, 14:30
I just bought the women's black diamond hiking poles and I need help.

I'll be hiking the AT from Carver's Gap to 19e over the 4th of July. I did a short run of it last year but never finished (stopped at Overmountain shelter). I'm about 5'4. My question is, how do I properly lengthen the sticks to my height? Also, do I adjust them higher to go up the mountain/steep hill?

Ah, any advice on my new hiking poles would be much appreciated. Even tips on going down the rocks too, I have a bad knee. :) Any tips...any tips at all!
Thanks everyone! You guys have been awesome helping this newbie! I knew where to go to ask the "professionals"! :)

Happy hiking!

peakbagger
06-10-2016, 14:38
The typical recommendation is fro flat and level hiking is stand with your upper arms vertical along your sides and your lower arms horizontal, where your hand lines up is where you adjust the pole. When heading up a steep slope shorten the pole. When going down a steep hill lengthen them. The point where its worth adjusting them is something you figure out.

Heading down steep rocks is simple, extend your poles and maintain three point of contact (two feet, one poles, one foot two poles)whenever possible. Some folks do better on really steep stuff if they turn around and face the slope and pick their way down. There are times where the poles get in the way when descending steep rocks and it just best to carefully toss them down to safe spot.

theoilman
06-10-2016, 14:44
A trick I have learned for going down steeper slopes: sit down and slide on your butt, keeping at least 3 additional points of contact - both feet, a hand hanging on to a tree or good size vine, whatever it takes. After falling (minor, no injuries) and then seeing someone else do this, I have never had any other problems.

Secondmouse
06-11-2016, 11:29
a lot of poles will have some sturdy foam below the main grip. this is to grip down lower on so you don't have to be always adjusting the length when you ascend/descend. obviously, on very steep terrain where you may need your hands for grabbing onto things, you should stow your poles if they are in the way.

for most walking, a good starting point is to set the pole length so your forearm is flat when holding the grip but I keep mine just a taste shorter than that. I want the pole pushing back against the stride of the opposite foot so I keep my arms almost fully extended and never place the tip of the pole forward of my feet.

experiment for awhile and you'll find something that works for you...

CamelMan
06-11-2016, 12:51
Ask and Jah will provide (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUoupdz8nLA). Unfortunately, Pete's Pole Pages seems to be offline, but are still available through The Wayback Machine (https://web.archive.org/web/20080504013226/http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm).

daddytwosticks
06-11-2016, 13:11
I've never tinkered with the length of my poles while going up or down a mountain. I just set the length as needed and hike away. Seems like it would be bothersome always adjusting the lenght througout the hiking day. :)

MtDoraDave
06-12-2016, 07:41
Length is something you can play with to see what's best for you, but what peakbagger suggested is a great starting point.

Also, for a newbie to trekking poles, whether you use the straps or not - or how you use them is another important consideration. There's a thread on it:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/119277-Hand-straps-on-trekking-poles

Hikingjim
06-12-2016, 09:42
which poles do you have?
I have some BD poles that have a long grip. I never change the pole length
Set it to a length you find is good for flat walking. Slide your hand down the pole as needed if it's steep

If it's flat and easy I angle my poles back like a cross country skier (nordic walking style, but I don't usually swing my arms as much as a skier!), and when I go downhill they're still long enough to be effective.

Traveler
06-12-2016, 11:11
To chime in, I too keep the poles at a set length all the time. At first I tried setting them up for steep side traversing, up and downhill, but it seemed more bother than it was worth.

firesign
06-12-2016, 11:17
Stand upright, shoulders back whilst holding your poles perpendicular to the ground, tips touching floor. Your elbows should be at right angles.
A bit of additional info that may be of interest.
When walking (like a soldier, left arm, right leg) on the flat or ascending, your poles should be at about 45 degrees, pushing back using your triceps and shoulders driving yourself forward. When decending, its the opposite, poles out front at aboit 45 degs, this time using triceps and shoulders as brakes for your body moving forward. If you are not using your arms and shoulders you will part of a large club of hikers who merely touch the ground with their pole tips and get minimal value from an excellent piece of equipment.

Heather1027
06-13-2016, 13:38
Oh wow, great advice! Thank you everyone so much for the tips! Much appreciated! :)