PDA

View Full Version : Whitney to Giant Sequoias

punchcard
06-10-2016, 16:43
Are they any trails from Whitney to the Sequoias? I'd like to finish up my section hike see them, ideally from the tops of the mountains.

Thanks

MuddyWaters
06-10-2016, 16:53
Like the high sierra trail?

Yes

punchcard
06-10-2016, 17:51
I probably should have stated I'll be headed south bound. If I understand the Sierra high route correctly, I'd have to back track 1/4 of the JMT to hit the SHR, correct.

Any more direct routes west from Whitney?

MuddyWaters
06-10-2016, 19:05
I probably should have stated I'll be headed south bound. If I understand the Sierra high route correctly, I'd have to back track 1/4 of the JMT to hit the SHR, correct.

see map of SEKI

Odd Man Out
06-10-2016, 19:34
I think you have confused the High Sierra Trail and the Sierra High Route. The HST is a trail that goes from Mt Whitney to The Giant Forest crossing Sequoia NP from east to west (although most trail guides describe the route . From Mt Whitney you hike mostly west on the JMT for 12.5 miles. Then you pick up the HST for 49 miles to the giant forest area on the west side of the park.

punchcard
06-11-2016, 10:57
Got it now. Thank you so much!

DLP
06-11-2016, 13:13
I'm not sure about seeing the Sequoias from the mountains...

For planning logistics: There is a shuttle bus from the Giant Sequoias down to Visalia. From Visalia it is possible to take Amtrack to other cities with airports, etc. Visalia does have an airport, but it is small. https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/parktransit.htm It says that shuttle bus reservations are required, but you can probably figure that out.

Dogwood
06-11-2016, 17:45

SOBO on the PCT? Starting from where? Mt W? Desiring to finish where? I ask because there are Giant Sequoia groves in Yosemite NP too with rather easy/easier access than at the end of the High Sierra Tr. in SEKI.

Yeah, you were confusing the HST and SHR. Easy enough to do.

DLP
06-12-2016, 12:41
there are Giant Sequoia groves in Yosemite NP too with rather easy/easier access than at the end of the High Sierra Tr. in SEKI..The Mariposa Grove in Yosemite is not open this year. This site lists all of the California Giant Sequoia groves. https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/mariposagrove.htm