PDA

View Full Version : Victoria's Secret Bombshell

Odd Man Out
06-11-2016, 10:23
Here's a research article about insect repellents. DEET still came out as best, but oil of Lemon Eucalyptus was just about as effective. Suprisingly, the perfume Bombshell by Victoria's Secret out performed other natural repellents, although it's effectiveness was limited.

http://m.jinsectscience.oxfordjournals.org/content/15/1/140.full

newtgirl
06-11-2016, 10:49
Finally, something from VC that's useful for the average woman!

GoldenBear
06-11-2016, 11:25
The next time my wife catches me checking out the Victoria Secrets catalog, I'll simply explain, "I was just looking for info on their mosquito repellent!"

OkeefenokeeJoe
06-11-2016, 11:32
Perfumes, ect., used as a repellent for insects is nothing new.

Avon's "Skin-So-Soft" has been used as an insect repellent for decades here in the Deep South. Very effective, too!

OkeefenokeeJoe

adamkrz
06-11-2016, 12:37

Avon's "Skin-So-Soft" has been used as an insect repellent for decades here in the Deep South. Very effective, too!

OkeefenokeeJoe

Right, I thought the Marine Corps drill instructors were invincible and smelt nice but later we found out it was Avon skin so soft they used at Parris island to keep them damn sand fleas at bay..

CamelMan
06-11-2016, 12:44
Thanks, that's good to know. I'm not anti-DEET but I usually don't need something amazingly effective, so second best and natural would be a good way to go. I assume it also doesn't ruin synthetics.

southernfire97
06-11-2016, 15:52
We use the Victoria Secret spray for no-see-ums down here in south MS. It's the only thing that will keep them at bay.

rickb
06-11-2016, 18:30
Thanks, that's good to know. I'm not anti-DEET but I usually don't need something amazingly effective, so second best and natural would be a good way to go. I assume it also doesn't ruin synthetics.

If you want to stay natural, this works surprisingly well:

http://www.badgerbalm.com/p-467-anti-bug-balm-sticks.aspx

Hikes in Rain
06-11-2016, 19:08
Right, I thought the Marine Corps drill instructors were invincible and smelt nice but later we found out it was Avon skin so soft they used at Parris island to keep them damn sand fleas at bay..

Same thing with the sourdoughs up in Alaska. Mosquito is the state bird up there, but Skin so Soft keeps them at bay.

MuddyWaters
06-11-2016, 20:04

OkeefenokeeJoe

I agree, but would call skin so soft "somewhat effective" . Its nothing at all like DEET.

Ive said it before, the thermacell unit, with its chrysanthemum oil vapor, works incredible. I can sit in a deer stand in a swamp in october, thick cloud of mosquitos buzzing around and not one closer than 3 ft from me as long as windless. Sheer bliss. They need to bottle this stuff. Smells OK too. Deer obviously arent spooked by it either.
http://www.thermacell.com/sites/default/files/styles/product_480/public/content/products/thermacellolivemosquitorepellerwithpackagingmrgj.j pg?itok=uk3vE5vI

Offshore
06-12-2016, 07:30
Consumer Reports found the most effective mosquito and tick topiccally-applied repellents to be Sawyer 20% picaridin (96 point rating), Ben's Wilderness formula 30% DEET (93 rating), and Repel Lemon Eucalyptus (87 rating). There were a couple in the low 80's and it dropped off quickly from there. Of the "natural" repellents, only lemon eucalyptus oil was found to be effective. Personally, I use the Sawyers picaridin. Too much risk of gear damage with DEET (and too much risk of smelling like a working girl with the Victoria Secret.)

nsherry61
06-12-2016, 09:53
Ive said it before, the thermacell unit, with its chrysanthemum oil vapor, works incredible. . . They need to bottle this stuff.
They do, in it's synthetic form it's called Permethrin.

Offshore
06-12-2016, 14:40
They do, in it's synthetic form it's called Permethrin.

And the advantage of permethrin-treated clothing over the thermacell (if it even really does work) is that you're not constantly inhaling the vapor.

Leo L.
06-12-2016, 15:13
[QUOTE=MuddyWaters;2074305]...the thermacell unit, with its chrysanthemum oil vapor, works incredible....

We have a similar device here, put into the mains plug, that works with pads soaked in Pyrethrum (or something similar).
Works very fine here, but we stopped using it in favor of moskito screens in the windows.
Once we took our Pyrethrum-vaporizer to a hotel holiday in our favorite Middle East Country, and it failed miserably. The local moskitos were not impressed at all by our device, they simply ignored it.