PDA

View Full Version : Freestanding tent?

AfterParty
06-12-2016, 00:34
At most campgrounds and shelters is non freestanding tent OK? Or better to have a freestanding one? Thanks

shelb
06-12-2016, 00:56
That is fine. You just have to stake it out....

garlic08
06-12-2016, 07:36
In my experience with a freestanding tent, I always staked it out anyway, especially after I saw one high in a tree below a shelf lake. And even more so after I camped in a gale on a beach. Freestanding is definitely easier to move a few feet if you make a bad pitch, but with non-freestanding, you just learn not to make a bad first pitch, and you learn how to stake well.

Connie
06-12-2016, 07:38
It is necessary to stake down a freestanding tent, however guy lines are not required.

This can be important in a crowded campsite, where people can trip on a guyline, damaging your tarp or tent and/or trip and fall.

Venchka
06-12-2016, 08:36
It is necessary to stake down a freestanding tent, however guy lines are not required.

This can be important in a crowded campsite, where people can trip on a guyline, damaging your tarp or tent and/or trip and fall.

Any decent tent will have guy lines for additional stability.
Freestanding never ever means free staying.

Wayne

Connie
06-12-2016, 08:45
I have only used a freestanding tent in a crowded campsite, and, as I said I staked it down. However guylines were not required.

Perhaps this clarifies what I am trying to describe: staked it directly to the ground, and long guylines were not necessary or required. On course, I used substantial tent stakes.

It is necessary to stake down a freestanding tent, because the entire tent can be picked up by the wind and it can be carried away, then, if you do recover it, usually the tent poles are bent and damaged.

Hikingjim
06-12-2016, 09:20
If you have a good non-freestanding and know how to set it up properly, then you can adapt to pretty well any setup environment with pegs/guy lines
You have to improvise if it's not standard terrain, but it can be done

so it comes down to annoyance factor. Do you mind spending some extra time learning how to set it up in different conditions? Or will you get really annoyed if your tent sags because your pegs came out!

AfterParty
06-12-2016, 12:46
I was checking out marmot starlight. Thanks for the answers.

MamaBear
06-12-2016, 13:35
On the AT, non-freestanding is usually not a problem. The only place where I had to be creative was with the wooden tent platforms in the Whites (and I knew this, I'm from there). You're not supposed to bring cuphooks or nails or whatever to use to stake out/attach guylines of the tent to the platform, but many others have done so in the past and there might still be some in the platform along the edges. Depending on the stake size, the stakes can be also be wedged between the boards that make up the platform and it might work. It isn't pretty, and I had to do it once, so it can be done.

I had a Lightheart Gear Solo, btw.

jred321
06-13-2016, 12:43
You're not supposed to bring cuphooks or nails or whatever to use to stake out/attach guylines of the tent to the platform, but many others have done so in the past and there might still be some in the platform along the edges. Depending on the stake size, the stakes can be also be wedged between the boards that make up the platform and it might work. It isn't pretty, and I had to do it once, so it can be done.

The one I stayed at also had decent size rocks on the platforms. Not going to get it too tight and won't hold up in real wind but it's something.

Also, hi Pom-Pom!

Sarcasm the elf
06-13-2016, 13:03
On the AT, non-freestanding is usually not a problem. The only place where I had to be creative was with the wooden tent platforms in the Whites (and I knew this, I'm from there). You're not supposed to bring cuphooks or nails or whatever to use to stake out/attach guylines of the tent to the platform, but many others have done so in the past and there might still be some in the platform along the edges. Depending on the stake size, the stakes can be also be wedged between the boards that make up the platform and it might work. It isn't pretty, and I had to do it once, so it can be done.

I had a Lightheart Gear Solo, btw.

I've never had an issue with tent platforms and never needed nails or cuphooks. I just bring a little extra paracord and wrap it around the planks, there is usually enough of a gap between the boards to put the paracord through.

fastfoxengineering
06-13-2016, 18:03
On the AT, I don't think a freestanding tent is needed. On that trail, I would prefer a lighter tarptent style tent.

LIhikers
06-13-2016, 21:45
My wife and I use a Tarptent Rainshadow that needs to be staked out.
We've always managed to get it pitched no matter what kind of surface we were on, dirt, rock, tent platforms or anything else.
Sometimes you have to get a little creative but so far it's always worked out, no problem.

rocketsocks
06-13-2016, 22:00
I've never had an issue with tent platforms and never needed nails or cuphooks. I just bring a little extra paracord and wrap it around the planks, there is usually enough of a gap between the boards to put the paracord through.yup, that or a few Marlin spikes.

rocketsocks
06-13-2016, 22:01
Wiv some twigs

Connie
06-14-2016, 15:10
Tent platforms with boards? In Glacier National Park, I have seen tent platforms for the first time: a wood frame enclosing gravel.

There is "no way" I am putting a $600 tent on gravel.

For me, it is a backcountry permit, or nothing this hiking season.

Uh, are there tent platforms in the backcountry permit campsites? :eek:

Another Kevin
06-14-2016, 16:05
I've got at least a few dozen nights in my TarpTent Notch. Never had a problem finding a place to put it. The long reach of guys isn't much of an issue, since none of them is farther than about a foot from the tent. I think the most creative tie-out arrangement that I've resorted to yet has been a bush, a piece of downed tree limb, and my snowshoes. I had to use my ice axe to break out the wood 'dead man' and the snowshoes in the morning, so it wasn't that great an idea, but it at least kept the tent up overnight.

AfterParty
06-14-2016, 16:15
I did order the starlight 2p to give myself a little more room when I'm stuck in my tent.