PDA

View Full Version : Georgia - June- Bivy? Shuttle?

shelb
06-12-2016, 02:09
Hi,

I have a few questions! (Note: I have completed just over 500 miles on the A.T. - north of Virginia. ...)

Would you discourage a bivy in this area? (I sleep cold...) My friend and I are traveling in "tandem" - meaning, not hiking together, which means we both need to carry a shelter. I have a Rainbow Tarptent and a Bivy. My friend has a 4.5 pound solo tent. To save weight, I thought we might just use the Tarptent and Bivy; however, the bivy can be warm ...??? I have never hiked south of SNP... please advise!

Georgia in general....any last minute advice before I arrive? (We are doing 100 miles together, and then after my friend leaves, I continue until Max Patch.)

We plan to arrive in the Rock Gap / Winding Stair Gap area on Tuesday. We are looking for a shuttle to Amicoala Falls State Park in order to start hiking Wednesday morning. I will be calling people on the list; however, I didn't know if there might be someone who wanted to chime in right away. We arrive about 11:30 Tuesday night; however, we realize we should probably plan on sleeping in the parking spot until a shuttle picks us up in the morning.

Thanks!

saltysack
06-12-2016, 08:27
I wouldn't leave vehicle at Rock gap...safer at standing Indian campground for small fee or backcountry kiosk just past campground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
06-12-2016, 08:28
Wouldn't leave at WSG either...just my $.02

MuddyWaters
06-12-2016, 09:46
Would not use a bivy in ga in summer personally. Too humid.

WS gap is iffy. But, if its your friends vehicle , so what?

daddytwosticks
06-12-2016, 12:42
Unless your bivy is a bug bivy (lots of mesh), I'd stay away from it. With the heat and humidity of a Georgia summer, it will likely be a sauna. :)

bigcranky
06-12-2016, 23:28
It'll be very warm and humid, not the best conditions for a waterproof/breathable fabric to work at all. Plus you'll have afternoon thunderstorms in the area most days. I would personally not want to use a bivy under those conditions.

You can get a motel room in Franklin, NC, about 15 miles from Standing Indian, for not too much cash. +1 on parking at Standing Indian, not Rock Gap or WSG. The "Backcountry Information Center" should be fine (that's a fancy term for a small parking area and a trailhead sign). You can get back to the car from the AT via several trails, the easiest being the 2 mile Long Branch Trail from Glassmine Gap, just past the Long Branch Shelter. You come right out at the parking area.

floid
06-13-2016, 07:30
How's the water in GA this time of the year?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Nooga
06-13-2016, 09:11
How's the water in GA this time of the year?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Although I haven't been our recently, I would expect that water could be hit or miss. Some areas of N GA have been getting rain, while others are classified as being in a moderate drought.

shelb
06-13-2016, 15:20
Thanks for all your info so far! I will definitely not use the bivy...

Any thoughts on the Albert Mountain Bypass parking area?
How are the bugs in Georgia this time of year?

Fireplug
06-13-2016, 15:55
Shelb
I think I'll be a day or so ahead of you. I'm hoping to hit Neels Gap on Thursday Morning if not then Friday. But I'm sure our paths will cross. Sign the logs. I will also.
FIREPLUG

shelb
06-13-2016, 17:34
Shelb
I think I'll be a day or so ahead of you. I'm hoping to hit Neels Gap on Thursday Morning if not then Friday. But I'm sure our paths will cross. Sign the logs. I will also.
FIREPLUG

Sounds good! I hope to pass Neels Gap on Friday....

saltysack
06-13-2016, 18:17
Thanks for all your info so far! I will definitely not use the bivy...

Any thoughts on the Albert Mountain Bypass parking area?
How are the bugs in Georgia this time of year?

SI back country kiosk is only 2 miles down hill at glassmine gap...I wouldn't park at Albert even though I've never seen the parking lot.....more remote and more likely to get messed with by a banjo playing hillbilly...[emoji16]