PDA

View Full Version : Best gorp?

johnsupertramp
01-03-2006, 22:25
Hey gimme your best gorp recipies so i can find somewhere to start.
John

MOWGLI
01-03-2006, 22:32
Best Gorp. Isn't that an oxymoron?

wdelong
01-03-2006, 22:35
Try including macadamia nuts - expensive but yummy!

Transcriber

betic4lyf
01-03-2006, 22:43
dried cranberries and cheries. havent found a good granola though.

ARambler
01-03-2006, 22:55
Trick Question; Minerva Hinchey Shelter?:rolleyes:

ScottP
01-03-2006, 22:59
Try adding swedish fish

minnesotasmith
01-03-2006, 23:24
is one I got from reading Ray Jardine's book: DON'T MIX THE INGREDIENTS. Instead, do as I do; have a separate bag of almonds, a bag of dried apricots, a bag of raw shelled unsalted sunflower seeds, a box of pitted dates, a box of raisins, an occasional bag (in non-hot weather) of Hershey's Miniatures (micro chocolate bars), a bag of lowfat granola, etc., etc. The reasoning (which I agree with completely) is that you will never manage to anticipate your tastes precisely, and you will end up cherry-picking what you want out of any mixture you devise, and wastefully having large amounts of a mixture left over you are not much in the mood to eat.

Fiddler
01-03-2006, 23:31
Hey gimme your best gorp recipies so i can find somewhere to start.
John

G O R P = Good Ole' Raisins & Peanuts - plus whatever else you like. M&M's are good, granola ok, shredded coconut, bacon bits, dried fruit, try everything. Even leave out the raisins and/or peanuts if you don't like them. Gorp is just a mix of whatever you want to munch on as you hike along.

fluffhead
01-03-2006, 23:53
I like honey bunches of oats in mine.

skylark
01-04-2006, 00:02
equal parts rolled oats (not instant), raisins, and roasted/salted sunflower seeds.

Zzzzdyd
01-04-2006, 00:05
M & M 's, 3 or 4 different kinds of nuts, and raisins. I usually do peanuts,
almonds, cashews, and macadamia, but change around as called for by
mood or availability.

Try your own mixtures.

Also I do the little bite size snickers in cooler weather.

:D

bfitz
01-04-2006, 01:31
Whatever nuts you like and peanuts, lots of chocolate, chocolate covered espresso beans (alittle caffiene) mabye some dried fruit or raisins if you like that sort of thing. Someone said macadamia nuts, they rock.

Peaks
01-04-2006, 09:35
As others have posted:

Nuts, preferably dry roasted, such as peanuts, cashews and walnuts
Dried fruits such as raisins, craisins, chopped dates, bananas, apples, and pineapple
M&M's or Skittles

Sometimes I add a filler, such as granola.

Everything comes off the grocery store shelter. exact ingredients depends on where I shop.

Other ingredients might be:

Sunflower seeds

HikeLite
01-04-2006, 10:48
The best gorp is the one you won't get tired of.

K-Man
01-04-2006, 11:25
Buy a food dehydrator and dehydrate your own fruit. My last gorp recipe was: Dehydrated pineapple, apples, oranges (tough to dehydrate due to pockets of moisture), and bananas. Then I added M&M's, raisins, almonds, coconut shavings, and cashews. This stuff was so tasty I ate most of it before I even got to the trail.

TDale
01-04-2006, 11:36
raw almonds and Sun Maid Tropical Trio dried fruit

nyushka42
01-04-2006, 11:37
Try adding the granola cereals from Trader Joes into the mix.

Turtle2
01-04-2006, 11:53
Also add the Three Fruit Mix from Trader Joes--Dried blueberries, strawberries and cherries. Phenomenal!

Mags
01-04-2006, 12:38
Take a 1lb bag of peanut M&Ms. Open. Eat.

Simple..why ruin a good thing? :)

Cookerhiker
01-04-2006, 13:24
I bring two kinds - one is a general mix of nuts, seeds, dried fruits, and chocolate in cold/cold weather.

My second is a blend of dry-roasted peanuts and sweet banana chips. These go well together and have obvious benefits - protein, good fat, salt in peanuts and the potassium in bananas.

Ender
01-04-2006, 15:55
After years of trying to get fancy, I finally settled back close to the original with Peanuts, Raisins, Craisins (dried cranberries) and M&M's. They're all fairly evenly sized items, so they distribute evenly in the bag more or less, they're all yummy, and they're all easy to find.

I found that my more complex gorps often weren't really that enjoyable, fulfilling, and affordable. This mix has always worked for me though.

Cheesewhiz
01-04-2006, 21:10
My favorite gorp is:
sweet n salty chex mix
plain m&m's
honey roasted peanut's
rasins
ALL MIXED UP

Cheesewhiz
A Not so ultralighter rebelling against some but not all af Jardine's opinions

oliander
01-05-2006, 18:49
Peanuts don't have nearly the nutritional value, nor (in my opinion) the good taste of almonds, walnuts and pumpkin seeds. Those 3 'super nuts' have a lot of useful minerals, vitamins and Omega 3's. So I tend to buy mixes that have those nuts in them plus super-sweet fruit, like cranberries or blueberries, and maybe chocolate. Oliander

teachergal
01-05-2006, 22:15
I found that I can never decide on my type of M&M so I buy a regular sized (like "single serve" from the candy rack in the check out line at the grocery store) of both peanut and plain then I can have both w/o getting too many M&Ms.

I usually do dry roasted peanuts, Sun-maid dried fruit bits, raisins, and M&M's - sometimes I throw in cashwes and almonds. Good stuff!!!!

4whim
01-06-2006, 19:53
I mixed half salted nuts and half non salted and no chocolate cuz it made me thirsty and craved milk. I liked the roasted pumpkin seed in soy from Whole Foods and mixed with assorted sunflower, cashew, peanuts, walnuts and pecans and raisons.

april2006
01-06-2006, 21:53
I added corn nuts to the last batch I made this summer. Yummy!! My mom's little poodle mix loved them. We took her hiking in late september and she ate that stuff up!! Funny story there - we hiked about 7 miles in then turned around and headed back. About halfway back Hannah (the dog) sat down in the middle of the trail and refused to go any further. :rolleyes: We ended up putting her in my daypack and I carried her the rest of the way home. That puppy was worn out!!!:D :D

minnesotasmith
01-09-2006, 15:20
As others have posted:

Nuts, preferably dry roasted, such as peanuts, cashews and walnuts
Dried fruits such as raisins, craisins, chopped dates, bananas, apples, and pineapple
M&M's or Skittles

Sometimes I add a filler, such as granola.

Everything comes off the grocery store shelter. exact ingredients depends on where I shop.

Other ingredients might be:

Sunflower seeds

You're better off eating only nuts that are unroasted. Their nutrition is better and they keep longer. Walnuts probably have the best fats profile of any nut, though almonds (I think) are pretty good as well.

leeki pole
01-09-2006, 15:40
Chex (any kind), pretzels, cheez-its, peanuts, almonds, macadamias, cashews with a shot of worchestire sauce and cajun seasoning. As you can tell, i'm not a sweets lover. :cool: Pretty tasty, though!

Moxie00
01-09-2006, 17:20
I like Jesters recipie as does Baltimore Jack, Take grainola, add some M&M's, some dried golden raisins and cranberries. For the final step you need a good dehydrator. Dehydrate a large economy bottle of Jim Beam. When it is done cut into 1/4 inch squares and add to the mix. For Mexican gorp you can substitute tequila for the Beam but add a small amount of lemon and sea salt.

Brrrb Oregon
07-27-2007, 15:56
Dark chocolate M&Ms, dried cherries, and roasted almonds....but then, I like the Black Forest thing.

Shade
07-30-2007, 10:28
Be carfeul with some pre-packaged dried fruit. I got some from Walmart for my last trip. They were so sweet my teeth hurt.

Midway Sam
07-30-2007, 10:31
My mom's little poodle mix...

Hmmmm.... I never thought of adding poodle to my trail mix. :-?

Ewker
07-30-2007, 11:25
Dr. Phibes can do a lot with a poodle...Soufflé anyone

Johnny Thunder
07-30-2007, 12:41
Dr. Phibes can do a lot with a poodle...Soufflé anyone

http://www.petsorfood.com/

Theharvest
08-01-2007, 02:44
Take a 1lb bag of peanut M&Ms. Open. Eat.

Simple..why ruin a good thing? :)

Simply amazing...sometimes I mix with raisinets and then you have your raisins and peanuts... so true to the acronym!

weary
08-01-2007, 10:09
If it tastes good, it is good!

jimtanker
08-01-2007, 10:59
Lightly salted cachews and M&Ms.

Yum Yummmy!!!

Brrrb Oregon
08-01-2007, 11:14
Be carfeul with some pre-packaged dried fruit. I got some from Walmart for my last trip. They were so sweet my teeth hurt.

Absolutely. You want the tart cherries and dark M&Ms with the salty nuts, for my money. I think the bulk dried fruit tends to be less sweet, too, for some reason.....at least, you can buy a little to find out.

ASUGrad
08-01-2007, 11:21
The best gorp?

FREE gorp.

Mixed nuts, pumpkin seeds, craisins and M&M's.

Uncle Silly
08-01-2007, 13:44
I gotta agree with the mix-yer-own-based-on-availability-at-the-grocery recipe. My gorp usually consists of dried fruits (raisins, cranberries, plus whatever else I can find/afford), nuts (peanuts, sunflower kernels, almonds, pumpkin seeds, macademias, hazelnuts), and sugary stuff (semisweet chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, chocolate-covered ginger, chocolate-covered espresso beans, toffee chips, etc). I love it when the heat melts the chocolate chips and you end up with these great clumps of stuff... if it's too gooey, just seal it in a ziplock and dunk it in a creek for a few minutes to solidify.