PDA

View Full Version : Teacher & Gumball?

Teacher & Snacktime
06-12-2016, 20:54
After a wonderfully successful trip to our favorite Upper Goose Pond Cabin, Gumball and I are home again, safe and sound, and the AT community has warmly welcomed another new young hiker! Many thanks to Caretaker Bambi, avid AT hiker, helper & enthusiast Solace, and all the thru's who passed through, sharing time and stories and bunkspace. All of you have contributed to what I hope will be a lifetime of natural appreciation and personal achievement for this young man. And to Atroll, thanks for the WB/AT cap that Gumball wore proudly on this first outing!

Now, any ideas where we should go next?

OH....and thanks to ROLLS KANARDLY, indirectly responsible for his trailname! (I still have a few left :))

Rain Man
06-12-2016, 21:31
Now, any ideas where we should go next?

Of course! You should hike with Rain Man & Company in Maine in August! :)

Teacher & Snacktime
06-12-2016, 21:51
And when and where would that be? :) (aka where do we pick you up?)

Sarcasm the elf
06-12-2016, 22:06
Snacktime wasn't hiking in the area of Kent over the weekend was he?

I passed by a hiker that looked just like I imagine he does now, but I didn't realize it until it was too late to turn around and ask.

Teacher & Snacktime
06-12-2016, 22:43
Snacktime wasn't hiking in the area of Kent over the weekend was he?

I passed by a hiker that looked just like I imagine he does now, but I didn't realize it until it was too late to turn around and ask.

Well, I know it wasn't him as he was on vacation in NH this weekend. Also, he doesn't really hike anymore.....for now I hope. But we still go out and play together :) as you can see from this Warrior Dash finish-photo from early May. Is this what you expected?

LIhikers
06-13-2016, 09:11
Yikes, I think Snacktime has doubled in height since we met a couple of years ago.
Now, who is this Gumball that you're telling us about?

rocketsocks
06-13-2016, 09:18
He's growing like a weed. what beautiful weather you had the past few days.

Teacher & Snacktime
06-13-2016, 09:45
Gumball is my 11yr old great-nephew who has recently joined our household (adoption in process). He was intrigued by my stories of hiking the AT with Snacktime and wanted to give it a try. We've had several local jaunts and he seems to legitimately enjoy spending time in the woods. I'm planning to start my very own section hike at Springer this fall, and told him he could join me if he was up to the challenge. This past weekend was his first AT outing, and he did very, very well. A few more trips under his belt and exposure to the variety of conditions and adversities that define the trail and he'll be set to go.

Our focus is not educational with this kiddo, but instead to invest in him a sense of personal strength and ability to accomplish as well as an appreciation of the world around him and his impact on it (and to replace an electronics addictions with a passion for nature). When he has learned what he can do in the face of challenge we'll start to focus on helping others with their challenges. But for now, he needs to hike, to meet friendly folks, to be accepted and appreciated (and sometimes celebrated) just for being who he is. So of course I've brought him to WB, and to the trail.

rocketsocks
06-13-2016, 09:52
Gumball is my 11yr old great-nephew who has recently joined our household (adoption in process). He was intrigued by my stories of hiking the AT with Snacktime and wanted to give it a try. We've had several local jaunts and he seems to legitimately enjoy spending time in the woods. I'm planning to start my very own section hike at Springer this fall, and told him he could join me if he was up to the challenge. This past weekend was his first AT outing, and he did very, very well. A few more trips under his belt and exposure to the variety of conditions and adversities that define the trail and he'll be set to go.

Our focus is not educational with this kiddo, but instead to invest in him a sense of personal strength and ability to accomplish as well as an appreciation of the world around him and his impact to it (and to replace an electronics addictions with a passion for nature). When he has learned what he can do in the face of challenge we'll start to focus on helping others with their challenges. But for now, he needs to hike, to meet friendly folks, to be accepted and appreciated (and sometimes celebrated) just for being who he is. So of course I've brought him to WB, and to the trail.You're a true trail angel.

Teacher & Snacktime
06-13-2016, 10:17
You're a true trail angel.

Feh, I'm just happy to have a new playmate!

Rain Man
06-13-2016, 10:18
And when and where would that be? :) (aka where do we pick you up?)

Teach, not to hijack this thread any more, I'll send you an email. Would be GREAT to see you two (three now?) again!

Teacher & Snacktime
06-13-2016, 10:26
Teach, not to hijack this thread any more, I'll send you an email. Would be GREAT to see you two (three now?) again!

Rainman, last month my husband, Strife, Gumball and I made a trip to Warwick, NY for a Warrior Dash competition. I spent 2 days driving everyone around to show them where you hiked, where Snacktime and I met you along the way, etc. We even had lunch at the Subway where we got your breakfast and Ice Cream at Bellvale Farms. I have VERY fond memories of those few days, and can't wait to hear from you and see if we can't get together again. :)

LIhikers
06-13-2016, 17:58

Our focus is not educational with this kiddo, but instead to invest in him a sense of personal strength and ability to accomplish as well as an appreciation of the world around him and his impact on it (and to replace an electronics addictions with a passion for nature). When he has learned what he can do in the face of challenge we'll start to focus on helping others with their challenges. But for now, he needs to hike, to meet friendly folks, to be accepted and appreciated (and sometimes celebrated) just for being who he is. So of course I've brought him to WB, and to the trail.

Sounds like me might be ready for some winter hiking come MLK weekend in 2017.
I'd love to meet Gumball and help him learn that appreciation or the world around him.
Hope to run into you two somewhere, sometime, again.

Teacher & Snacktime
06-13-2016, 19:45
Sounds like me might be ready for some winter hiking come MLK weekend in 2017.
I'd love to meet Gumball and help him learn that appreciation or the world around him.
Hope to run into you two somewhere, sometime, again.

I'm in complete agreement.....with ALL of it. I'll let you know if we're in your neighborhood!