PDA

View Full Version : Thank you!!

AJwalkin
06-13-2016, 12:19
My son and I had a great time out this weekend even though it was way harder than I thought and we walked a lot more miles than I calculated. We are sore and tired but he says he'd love to go again. Yay!! I'm so thankful for the kindness we experienced on the trail. I don't know how to rotate this picture!

HooKooDooKu
06-13-2016, 13:54
AJwalkin,
Glad to hear ya'll had a great time.

Obviously your son is carrying a z-lite sleeping pad. For kids, I think this is a great option.

I personally have been using Therm-a-rest ProLite for my two boys, and in hindsight regret it:
1. ProLite is more expensive.
2. The kids simply don't have the strength is takes to tightly roll them back up (which means I'm stuck with that task).

I purchased a z-lite for my daughter, and she slept on that just fine. So from a comfort stand point, the z-lite seems to be just fine for kids even if you as an adult are not very comfortable with them.

I'm thinking the z-lite is also great for kids because it seems like for pretty much any back pack, you should be able to find a way to lash such a lite pad to the pack. That means you don't need as large a pack to be able to hold the volume of a pro-lite or even an xtherm.

That leads me to the question of how well your son did with the z-lite on his pack like that. Obviously sticks out quite a bit. Did that cause any issues?

Finally a suggestion for you and anyone considering the z-lite for their kids... cut the pad to fit the child. Counting the number of edges I see in the picture, it looks like your son is carrying an uncut 'regular' size. The size 'small' is only a little more than 4' long making it too short to use as a "full length" pad for most children over the age of about 5. But if you cut 3 of the 14 panels off, you are left with a pad that is 20% lighter yet large enough until they are a teenager... then use the three panels to make a sitting pad for yourself (however, I found 2 to be big enough).

shelb
06-13-2016, 14:50
Finally a suggestion for you and anyone considering the z-lite for their kids... cut the pad to fit the child.......then use the three panels to make a sitting pad for yourself .

What an AWESOME IDEA!!!!

saltysack
06-13-2016, 16:24
AJwalkin,
Glad to hear ya'll had a great time.

Obviously your son is carrying a z-lite sleeping pad. For kids, I think this is a great option.

I personally have been using Therm-a-rest ProLite for my two boys, and in hindsight regret it:
1. ProLite is more expensive.
2. The kids simply don't have the strength is takes to tightly roll them back up (which means I'm stuck with that task).

I purchased a z-lite for my daughter, and she slept on that just fine. So from a comfort stand point, the z-lite seems to be just fine for kids even if you as an adult are not very comfortable with them.

I'm thinking the z-lite is also great for kids because it seems like for pretty much any back pack, you should be able to find a way to lash such a lite pad to the pack. That means you don't need as large a pack to be able to hold the volume of a pro-lite or even an xtherm.

That leads me to the question of how well your son did with the z-lite on his pack like that. Obviously sticks out quite a bit. Did that cause any issues?

Finally a suggestion for you and anyone considering the z-lite for their kids... cut the pad to fit the child. Counting the number of edges I see in the picture, it looks like your son is carrying an uncut 'regular' size. The size 'small' is only a little more than 4' long making it too short to use as a "full length" pad for most children over the age of about 5. But if you cut 3 of the 14 panels off, you are left with a pad that is 20% lighter yet large enough until they are a teenager... then use the three panels to make a sitting pad for yourself (however, I found 2 to be big enough).

Cut down zlite sol works great for me or my kid....the left over piece is the dogs pad and my sit pad......perfect....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk