PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Dam to NOC - 6/24

Backpkrmn
06-13-2016, 14:38
I am looking for either someone to do a car drop with me or a shuttle from Fontana Dam Visitor Center, to the Outfitter at the NOC in NC. The dates are June 24-26. I would be getting into Fontana Dam the afternoon of the 24th and would like to be to NOC with enough daylight left to get in a few hours of hiking.

Anyone able to help out, or know of a low cost shuttle in that area?

TNhiker
06-13-2016, 14:44
jeff from hike inn would be your best bet......

MuddyWaters
06-13-2016, 15:13
Long climb to start late in day. Give some thought to where want to camp.

SteelCut
06-13-2016, 16:20
As Muddy may be eluding to, there are not alot of good camping spots on the climb out of NOC going towards Fontana. There are a couple small dry sites less than a mile out of NOC, one at about mile marker 139.3 (with water and which I stayed at last summer), dry camping on Swim Bald, and then obviously Sassafras Gap Shelter. Reaching Swim Bald or Sassafras Gap Shelter is going to be 3 or 3+ hrs of uphill (and sometime steep) hiking.

The water source and camp site at about mm 139.3 use to be in the Guthook App but has since appeared to have been removed and not shown in the AWOL guide. Let me know if you want more info on how to find that area as it's not immediately obvious.

Chris10
06-13-2016, 22:07
Just did that last week. The shuttle from the dam to NOC was around $50. The climb out of NOC, especially as a section hiker is long (3+ hrs to the shelter for us). Like mentioned above, a few small sites on the way up and water was flowing at the shelter. That hill never seemed to end! :) Good luck!

Bronk
06-14-2016, 09:38
I hiked out of NOC at just about dark...it was barely light when I started the climb and completely dark by the time I camped. Its doable. Its been a long time so I don't remember exactly where or what distance but there is a flat spot up there within a mile or two of the trailhead where you can set up a tent. Three of us camped there that night...somebody in the parking lot had given us a 12 pack of beer and we carried it up there...so we didn't go that far with the extra weight in our packs.

Backpkrmn
06-14-2016, 10:48
Thanks everyone. I know that's a long climb out of the NOC. A couple of weeks ago we did Winding Stair to NOC, and I just want to knock out the next section. We used Ron Haven for the shuttle last time, but wasn't sure if there was a more affordable option from Fontana. I hike pretty fast and light, carrying under 20 lbs, and am prepared to hike in the dark if necessary. Also, while there may not be readily available tent sites, I can normally find a spot for my hammock when I need to. The plan going in is to be able to make it to the shelter about 7 miles in, but I am perfectly fine with setting up short of that if I feel the need.

Chris10
06-14-2016, 20:15
Definitely plenty of places to hammock! We used Jeff at Hike Inn, and everything worked out well transportation wise. Could also try calling The Cabin in the Woods. Enjoy!

http://www.thecabininthewoods.com/hiker.html