PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in the Spanish Pyrenees

Old Hillwalker
06-13-2016, 15:50
Hello from my cabin in Maine. I will be hiking the GR 11 in the Spanish Pyrenees from August 24th until September 15th. My planned itinerary is to walk 150 miles east from Roncesvilles to Ordesa National Park down the spine of the Spanish Pyrenees with my last night spent at the Goritz Refuge above Ordesa Canyon. I hike at a speed commensurate with my age and will be following the stages in the GR 11 Cicerone Guide (2014 ed). I will be carrying a one-person Hilleberg Akto, but am not averse to staying in refuges and taking meals there. My hiking resume includes the AT (sections), Long Trail, Long Range Traverse in Newfoundland, and many years in the White Mountains and Maine. I have hiked extensively through Western Scotland over the years and backpacked the 200 mile Cape Wrath Trail “North to the Cape, in 2009”, and the West Highland way in both directions, also the Great Glen Way. If you check out my Cape Wrath Blog, I am the guy without the beard. http://samohtw.blogspot.com/
My old hiking partner for the Cape Wrath Trail had to bow out on this trip so I am attempting to connect with anyone else who may be interested joining me for a leisurely walk in Spain this late summer. Round trip Air is currently around $1000 and daily cost will run from $25 to $50 since I am not planning to carry meals, just buy them in mountain refuges. I know that this is an expensive trip, and rather short notice, but I thought I just might find someone who would like to join me.

Grinder
06-24-2016, 11:32
I have been thinking about a Spanish hike for a few years. I'm 75 Years old. I have hiked 1700 or so miles on the AT over the last ten years, going for a month each hike. In that month I seem to cover about 300 miles more or less. I remember one hike when I averaged 13 miles per day. I am a slow hiker and climbs are tough. Lots of gasping and stops to catch breath.

If that doesn't put you off, contact me on or off list and we'll talk details.

Old Hillwalker
06-24-2016, 12:30
Grinder, it sounds like we are in the same boat. I will contact you through PM today. If you want to talk by phone, let me know. I already have my flight tickets departing Boston on the 24th of Aug, and returning on 15 Sept.