PDA

View Full Version : First time section hiker.

troubletrev
06-14-2016, 14:14
Hi everyone. My name is Trevor. This July through August I'll be hiking from Springer Mountain to Erwin TN. I hike the Mountains of NC every summer, but haven't heard much as far as general reports in the area this year. What should I be prepared for this summer on my first long distance hike? I'm open to any advice or knowledge you may have. Thanks!

illabelle
06-14-2016, 17:00
Hi Trevor,
If you hike NC mountains regularly, then you know what you're getting into with respect to terrain and weather. What specific questions do you have about your hike this summer?

saltysack
06-14-2016, 17:09
Hi everyone. My name is Trevor. This July through August I'll be hiking from Springer Mountain to Erwin TN. I hike the Mountains of NC every summer, but haven't heard much as far as general reports in the area this year. What should I be prepared for this summer on my first long distance hike? I'm open to any advice or knowledge you may have. Thanks!

My $.02 is.....SOUTHWEST AIRLINES!!!! head out west if you have 2 months!!!! Too damn hot down south!! Do the CT and JMT or the high Sierra PCT section !!!
Either way I'm jealous!! 2 months should be a really easy trip at 342 miles to Erwin...that's a whopping 5.5 mpd if I'm understanding you correctly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tflaris
06-14-2016, 18:27
I just finished Neel to Fontana Dam yesterday and it's already to hot. Go West!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4shot
06-14-2016, 18:40
I just did a 150 mile trip on the Benton Mackaye. I agree with others...look at going west or way up into NE. Seems like it is hotter than normal this year. And finding water was a bit dicey already.Whatever you do, have fun.

CamelMan
06-14-2016, 20:06
Well no wonder my afternoon sucked... 102 was reported today in Gatlinburg and I was pretty low. I was drinking constantly and pouring water on myself. So, yes, I think everybody makes a good point.

Oh, I just saw that you were from Florida. In that case YMMV. Last summer I tried to stay acclimated by keeping the AC high and etc.

-Rush-
06-14-2016, 21:39

IMO.. Try to keep your total pack weight 30lbs or less at all times. Your body, mind, and soul will thank you later as you move farther, faster, with less risk of injury.

MuddyWaters
06-14-2016, 21:49
Sounds like the perfect opportunity to hike sobo a couple hundred miles starting with katahdin.

Or...the LT

Or the CT

Or wander in rhe Sierra

Or section the northern PCT

All of which will be more scenic, cooler, than southern AT.

But if you must hike the hot, humid, southern AT. Have fun.
If theres water issues, just ask . it gets posted at shelters, in logs, at hostels, and people from opposite direction have beta.

No ones died of dehydration yet on AT that Ive heard of.

troubletrev
06-15-2016, 00:28
Was just looking for a general consensus. Summer conditions vary from year to year. Usually from extreme to most extreme. Looks like this year will is a hot one! Thanks for the reply.

daddytwosticks
06-15-2016, 07:17
Just keep an eye on the weather forecast and try to keep your hikes to elevations above 4000 feet if possible. Trying to end the day at water sources for a quick clean up helps. It will still be hot and sticky no matter where you go. :)

illabelle
06-15-2016, 09:34
Just keep an eye on the weather forecast and try to keep your hikes to elevations above 4000 feet if possible. Trying to end the day at water sources for a quick clean up helps. It will still be hot and sticky no matter where you go. :)

We're going out this weekend for a non-AT loop in the Smokies at around 5000' elevation. Forecast is a full 20° cooler than in Knoxville. Tolerable, but will still be sticky at the end of the day.

-Rush-
06-15-2016, 15:02
We're going out this weekend for a non-AT loop in the Smokies at around 5000' elevation. Forecast is a full 20° cooler than in Knoxville. Tolerable, but will still be sticky at the end of the day.

It should be rather enjoyable at 5k with a summer pack.

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Clingmans-Dome/forecasts/1500