PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Frame Sheet Ideas?

El Gallo
06-14-2016, 19:38
I have a ULA Catalyst which I like but sometimes it is a bit big. One day searching online I found the Mountainsmith Scream 55 on sale for a bit more than a 100 bucks. Nice little pack for the money. I added some water bottle holders made from shock cord to the straps and some shock cord webbing to the front to hold a jacket or whatever. The pack comes with an hour glass shaped foam frame sheet. More of a pad than a frame sheet and at bit more than 25 lbs the pack starts to sag some. Not the packs fault. I cut a new frame sheet from those grey 25”x 25” interlocking foam sections one can buy at auto stores or Harbor Freight. This helped a lot but I was still looking for more stiffness as I want the pack to carry 30lbs. I also tried using corrugated plastic sign material but that just creased horizontally so a no go for that idea. Finally I decided I needed some kind of stay so I glued with contact cement a 1.75 “ by 21” by 1/16” piece of aluminum down the middle of the grey foam frame sheet. That idea really helped and with 29 lbs it is a different pack. The pack weighs 2.5 lbs. (Not ultralight I know) I am hoping the contact cement holds up. So far so good. Anyone have an idea I can try ?

yaduck9
06-14-2016, 20:48
a while ago, i watched a youtube ideo where a guy made a custom carbon fiber panel that fitted to a golite rucksack. I can[t find the video but here is a video showing how to make a carbon fiber panel ( for a car ).

hope that helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbk7-GpyNzQ

rocketsocks
06-14-2016, 21:00
I made stays out of PCV pipe once for a pack I built, you can heat in an oven to form the shape.

Sandy of PA
06-17-2016, 13:10
Buy an aluminum stay of the correct size from Gossamer gear, sew in pockets for it at bottom, Velcro tab to hold top in place. Then is removable for lighter loads, use elastic cord to hold sitpad in place on outside for comfort. Adds about 4 oz. to pack weight.

Dogwood
06-17-2016, 13:26
Old arrow or CF tent pole shafts, folded deflated inflatable pad than partially inflate once inside pack