PDA

View Full Version : Best Option: Gotoobs or Other Squeeze Tubes?

Heliotrope
06-14-2016, 22:48
I have never tried repackaging Nutella and other squeezable foods and I am wondering if anyone has a favorite vessel for doing so. I am hoping for a convenient and leakproof way to eat as I hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
06-15-2016, 01:27
For items like thick nut butters I like GoToobs when I'm wanting to repack into smaller amounts from a large container. Wide opening of a screw on cap makes them easy to pack product from a larger container and clean. Thjers's a decently wide open the Nutella or such comes out of too. Still I place in a snack Ziploc. Older well used GoToobs can have the clip down cap start to loosen a bit.

Many nut butters such as Nutella(hazelnut) come in small individual serving sizes. I've seen them sold at places like World Market in the bulk bins along with other convenience sized trail goodies. Squeezable individual 1.2 oz or so size packets of PB and other nut butters have become more popular so you'll find them like Justins and Peanut Bitter&Co(Smooth Operator packets) even in stores like Wally World.

FWIW, I much prefer the GoToobs over Coughlans repackaging tubes which have a different design.

egilbe
06-15-2016, 06:22
I have some gotubes. I thought they were heavy. The jar Nutella comes in is fairly lightweight and in a four day trip, I'll eat all of it.

Book
06-15-2016, 10:30
I like the smaller Nutella jars too. The wide mouth top is great for dipping things in like pretzels, apple slices, your fingers...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Heliotrope
06-15-2016, 21:36
I like the smaller Nutella jars too. The wide mouth top is great for dipping things in like pretzels, apple slices, your fingers...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I guess if you get hungry enough fingers can be pretty good with Nutella. ;). Though that's a good idea / the dipping part.

rocketsocks
06-16-2016, 05:47
I guess if you get hungry enough fingers can be pretty good with Nutella. ;). Though that's a good idea / the dipping part.
Just be careful of the bones, don't wanna choke.

Mouser999
06-16-2016, 09:40
A supermarket near me has peanut butter in jars that are about the size if the smaller Nutella jars

tiptoe
06-16-2016, 10:19
Peanut butter also comes in small plastic cups, like these:
http://www.jif.com/products/jif-to-go/regular/creamy-peanut-butter

My local market carries one version, but I can't remember what brand.

Mouser999
06-16-2016, 12:05
Coughlign camping makes tubes like toothpaste tubes you fill from the bottom. I tried once and it's real messy trying to get peanut butter into them.

Heliotrope
06-16-2016, 23:37
I get the feeling I may stick to eating it from the jar with a spoon.

egilbe
06-17-2016, 07:04
I get the feeling I may stick to eating it from the jar with a spoon.

It seems to work. The good thing about the small nutella jars is that you can use the empty ones to rehydrate fruits and vegetables while you are hiking, before your meal. Usually, at my lunch stop I will add water to any dehydrated veggies in a small, empty peanut butter jar and stash it in an outside pocket. When its time for dinner, I can add veggies to my pasta or rice.

lilbear
07-12-2016, 12:26
If you're really looking for a supplement type thing and not "real" food... I really like the Clif Shot Blocks, especially the caffeinated ones. I've used them mostly for cycling, but I've carried a few with me backpacking, and they're a nice thing to have handy to pop into your mouth once in a while. Wouldn't rely on them for a primary snack food though, and you've got to wash them down with plenty of water since they're so electrolyte heavy.

Malto
07-12-2016, 18:17
Coughlign camping makes tubes like toothpaste tubes you fill from the bottom. I tried once and it's real messy trying to get peanut butter into them.

I tried this as well and believe it was my single biggest mistake on my thru hike. Just take the jar, you will eat it.