PDA

View Full Version : Glasses or contacts?

Momma Mango
06-14-2016, 23:33
I am going to be spending about two weeks on the AT in July, and I'm just wondering if anyone has pros, cons, preferences of wearing glasses or contacts? In everyday life, I go back and forth between the two. I wear extended wear contacts that I sleep in and can easily wear for two weeks, but am not sure how they would be on the trail. I would love any advice. Thanks in advance.

Chris10
06-14-2016, 23:44
I wear my glasses because I don't want any number of issues with putting in/taking out contacts on the trail. Though with extended wear, you wouldn't necessarily have those issues. Just go with makes you comfortable and either bring an extra pair, or your glasses just in case.

Moosling
06-15-2016, 01:53
I'd rather not be taking contacts in and out on the trail but that's just me. I'm like you in that I go back and forth between glasses and contacts but for me extended length contacts don't work for me very well as my eyes tend to dry out. If you are comfortable with them go for it though just make sure you bring some drops just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
06-15-2016, 03:03
Glasses here. Just less trouble.
Wore contacts for 20 yrs. Extended wear.
Basically dont anymore.
Nice to wake up without eyes stuck shut
At the longest, in college, I wore contact lenses for over a year without removing.

Leo L.
06-15-2016, 03:12
Had contacts on all bike journeys in the older times, until I developed a severe conjunctive infection in both eyes. Luckily I had spare glasses.
Finally I had to realize that the low hygiene can be dangerous for contacts and almost stopped wearing them outdoors.
Only for special use (diving) I carry a box of 1x-use contacts.
I always carry spare glasses, would be very bad if glasses broke or get lost in the middle of the desert and not be able to find my way back home.

daddytwosticks
06-15-2016, 07:14
Wish I could wear contacts. Because of eye issues, I cannot. My glasses constantly steam up on me and my sweat rains down the lenses. During the humid summertime, I constantly hike in a visual fog. I have tried Cat Crap and it seems to help a little. Don't even get me started on how I feel about rain on my eyeglass lenses. Drives me nuts.

If I were able to wear contacts while hiking, I would in a heartbeat. :)

Hikingjim
06-15-2016, 07:47
I do disposables and glasses combo. Disposables weigh almost nothing and you don't need to bring solution. I use my camera in selfie mode to put them in. I soap up my hands pretty well before putting them in.

Usually I just go glasses to start the day if it's cool. If it gets quite hot, I cannot wear my glasses. They steam up badly and I sweat a ton

on a 2 week hike I might wear contacts on 2/3 of the days, and never near all day, so my eyes don't hate me.

LittleRock
06-15-2016, 08:00
Glasses. Contacts might have worked when I was younger and could wear them for a week at a time without taking them out. Now they start to hurt my eyes after several hours and I usually only wear them when running, cycling, or swimming. So if I wanted to do contacts, I'd have to bring a case, extra solution, and a spare pair of glasses as backup.

Hikes in Rain
06-15-2016, 08:05
Contacts. I wear them all the time at home, why not on the trail? Just wash your hands. You should be doing that anyway. :sun

Traveler
06-15-2016, 10:12
FWIW I wear glasses when out on trails routinely. People I know who wear contacts and hike regularly will use glasses too. Mostly due to the problems associated with bits of dust and organic little from trees and in the wind that can become a problem, coupled with the issues of removal/insertion in an outdoor uncontrolled environment.

Rain Man
06-15-2016, 19:49
I wore contacts exclusively for decades, but a few years ago needed new glasses as my old ones were too old and prescription was no longer effective. I paid the big bucks for new glasses instead of new contacts and haven't gone back to contacts.

Both contacts and glasses work for me on the trail, both have pros and cons. Neither is all good or all bad. Can't tell you which to do, honestly.

Since you have both, take both on the trail and decide for yourself?

cliffordbarnabus
06-15-2016, 22:21
some folks, like me, are lucky. i almost ~never~ take my contacts out. and it's not a problem. try it. you'll know soon enough if you're lucky...or if it's a problem!

CamelMan
06-16-2016, 16:26
I used to wear contacts 24/7 but haven't really been able to wear them for a while. Glasses have better optical quality IMO for computer work. Glasses are more convenient and no need to worry about dirt. I wear an eyeglass retainer. I'm planning on getting some kind of pair of sports glasses with an elastic band and maybe photochromatic lenses, as long as they're not too dark.

Xycon
06-16-2016, 18:59
True ultralight would be getting lasik/prk ;), thats what I did!

-Rush-
06-22-2016, 03:02
I wear glasses and encountered several people with contacts who were having issues. The only time my glasses were an issue is when they would fog up when my buff was on. I'd hang them from the roof of my tent at night but also carried a plastic case. Rarely used it.