PDA

View Full Version : Logical breakdown of thruhike sections?

HelloNeiman!
06-15-2016, 01:57
I looking to thruhike but want to break the trail up in to logical sections for friends/family to join me as I go. Does anyone know a good resource that lists the best places to get on and off the trail (e.g. near airports or major cities)? Or anyone have good recommendations? I want to basically create continuous 2 week sections that are as easy as possible for my companions to meet me. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

colorado_rob
06-15-2016, 08:38
I had my wife join me for 100+ mile sections here and there (more like 1-week, but same concept), so I just used an excel spreadsheet with AT "data book points" found online, I believe on the ATC website if memory serves. I highlighted the cells with the big towns/highways that would be easy to meet.

So, for example, I started solo at springer, met my wife in 10 days at mile ~164 Fontana (she shuttled from Knoxville), hiked to Hot springs with her, where she shuttled back to Knoxville. I had this little spreadsheet on my phone, and it could update itself by simply putting the actual date into my present location along the trail, allowing me to fairly accurately predict when I'd be where up the trail, knowing my general MPD rate (which was adjustable as well, of course). There are tons of fine folks that gladly shuttle hikers all along the trail, the ATC site has a shuttle list. Of course most of these shuttles charge a nominal fee, as they should, some are "donation" based.

Lots of folks on WB pooh-pooh such detailed, on-the-go thru hike planning, and they do have a point based on how they like to thru hike (free-form), but it's a price some of us gladly pay to have non-local (they have to fly in) friends/family join us for parts of the trail.

I did this four total times along the trail, three 100+ miles sections with my wife (smokies, whites, and 100 mile wilderness in ME) and a 250 mile section with a pal (basically, PA). It all worked great. The Excel spreadsheet was the basic planning tool. If your comfortable with spreadsheets, check it out. It could be done manually, of course, with a pencil and AWOL.

lonehiker
06-15-2016, 09:31
Look at Map Mans data tables on hiking statistics. They might be good section ideas.

lonehiker
06-15-2016, 09:39
I calculated the number of days a "typical" TJK thru-hiker might have needed to reach these section landmarks for four different hypothetical hikes. Table 4 lists the "typical" number of days it would take to reach each landmark for hikers taking 4 months (122 days), 5 months (153 days), 6 months (183 days) and 7 months (214 days) to thru-hike:

TABLE 4 -- Four Hypothetical Hikes

4#HIKE ~~~ 5#HIKE ~~~ 6#HIKE ~~~ 7#HIKE ~~~ LANDMARK
6 days...........7 days..........9 days..........10 days..........Georgia Border
11 days.........14 days........17 days.........20 days..........Fontana
29 days.........36 days........44 days.........51 days..........Damascus
50 days.........63 days........75 days.........88 days..........Waynesboro
58 days.........73 days........87 days.........102 days.........Harpers Ferry
72 days.........90 days........108 days.......127 days.........DWG
81 days.........102 days......122 days.......142 days.........Kent
98 days.........123 days......147 days.......172 days.........Glencliff
105 days.......131 days......157 days.......184 days.........Gorham
112 days.......140 days......168 days.......197 days.........Stratton

Copied from Map Mans sources.
122 days.......153 days......183 days.......214 days.........Katahdin

peakbagger
06-15-2016, 10:48
It really comes down to logistics. Up in ME, NH and VT the AT is harder to access conveniently as there is minimal public transport and shuttles from airports are very expensive. For most visitors that will be flying in. They are looking at possibly two days to reach the trail, one day flying and one day getting shuttled from the airport to the trail. THe cost of the shuttles to and back from the trail may cost more than the plane ticket.

With a 2 week duration you also have to deal with resupply a minimum of half way through and a lot of folk might break it up into three segments (2)resupplys. Once you leave Gorham NH, the few towns you end up at have very minimal resupply options (no grocery chains and no walmarts). There are places that cater to hikers needs but the prices will be steeper and the selection will limited.

HelloNeiman!
06-16-2016, 01:45
Wow, that data from Map Man is amazing! That's exactly what I was looking for. I know most purists don't like the idea of planning out schedules and timelines like this, but I need to in order to have guests join me without wasting time waiting for me, or me backtracking to them. I think I can plan an estimate for each section fairly well and still keep the daily distance flexible within that section. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Datto
06-16-2016, 01:54
One other thing to consider -- you're probably going to be in trail shape for much of your AT thru-hike and your visitors won't. For an AT thru-hiker (compared to someone just out of an office carrying a backpack) the usual everyday hiking speed may be close to double that of a visitor who may not be in trail shape.

Datto