PDA

View Full Version : Leidigh rd parking near Boiling Springs PA, is overnight OK?

Brewguy
06-15-2016, 11:46
I want to hike into Alec Kennedy shelter with my kids for an over night. Does anyone know if overnight parking is allowed at the leidigh rd access? I know there is day parking allowed and I don't recall seeing any signs about over night.

We could also park at white rocks trail, it's about the same distance but a little tougher hike.

Brewguy
06-17-2016, 11:45
I thought my title was pretty specific, surprised to see 121 views with no help or comments.

I'm leaning toward parking at white rocks, it's a tougher hike due to all the rocks but it has a designated parking lot.

SkeeterPee
06-17-2016, 12:33
I hiked through there last fall, but I do not recall any actual parking areas. people were pulled off the side of the road at whiskey springs rd. Not sure if that was overnight parking.

Personally, I did not think much of that shelter last fall, Lots of mice crawling around my feet while I was eating. I did not see the tent spots at the shelter so I stayed in the shelter. From the log it did not look like it got used a lot.

Brewguy
06-17-2016, 13:00
I hiked through there last fall, but I do not recall any actual parking areas. people were pulled off the side of the road at whiskey springs rd. Not sure if that was overnight parking.

Personally, I did not think much of that shelter last fall, Lots of mice crawling around my feet while I was eating. I did not see the tent spots at the shelter so I stayed in the shelter. From the log it did not look like it got used a lot.

yes I'm not sure what makes something overnight vs day use parking?? From the pictures I see there are lots of trees, we'll be in hammocks. I live close to there so we wanted a short drive and short hike for our first overnight.

I know after center point knobb there is no camping allowed. I guess the section near whiskey springs you can just camp off the trail? Do you need to be 200' off trail? I think all of that area is private property so I wasn,t sure what is allowed. there are several places you pass that look like camp sites, fire rings, log benches and places for tents. Didn't know if that was legal though. I figured I knew the shelter would be "ok" to camp and there is a water source near by.

SkeeterPee
06-17-2016, 17:11
This link can be useful for AT Camping rules
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/at_fires_and_camping_rules_inventory_5_28_2014_web .pdf?sfvrsn=0

I saw the "camp sites" you pass after Whiskey Springs road and they look like good places to camp but they are so near the road I suspect they draw in a party crowd. Also that looks like it would be AT Corridor land and not State Game Lands. there are parts of the AT that are running right next to State Game Lands area 305 and you can camp in State Game Lands if you are not doing out and back hikes.

Pennsylvania Game Lands (PGC #168, #217, #106, #110, #80, #211, #170, and near #305)

PA

Yes, except during periods of high fire danger. "Fires must be contained andattended to at all times."

The PA Game Commission (PGC) defines thru-hikers as "walking the Appalachian Trail from point of beginning to an exit, which is not the place of beginning." Only thru-hikers may camp on PGC lands, and these hikers must camp
within 200 ft of A.T., at least 500 ft from a stream or spring.

N

N

1 night limit

Page 58 of Pennsylvania LMPG. Reference: 36 CFR 2.10

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/local-management-planning-guide/2010%20Pennsylvania%20Local%20Management%20Plannin g%20Guide.pdf. http://www.clintoncountyinfo.com/vb/stategameland_regulation-1-.pdf