PDA

View Full Version : VA Triple Crown Loop Mapping Question

FloydBanks
06-15-2016, 12:15
Morning.

I am headed out to do this ~40 mile loop next week. Plan is to park/start @ Dragons tooth and head north. Then take Andy Lane Triail over to North Mt. and circle back.

I have never done the loop before but have done some research. Most routes I see have Andy Lane trail connecting the AT and North Mountain, which is how I have been planning the trip. This morning I picked up a Nat Geo map of the area to take along (788). This map only shows the AL trail heading west until SR 779 and not continuing to North Mountain.

Can anyone confirm that Andy Land does in fact connect these 2 trails. I am thinking it does but was surprised to see the Trails Illustrated map not showing it.

Also, if anyone has done the loop recently and has any info on how water sources are running that would be appreciated as well. I know it can be tough at times. And that North Mt. is basically dry regardless.

Thanks for any help.

ernie84
06-15-2016, 22:44
Yes, the Andy Lane trail connects the AT to the North Mountain Trail. I did this hike last fall. Haven't been on the trail in a few weeks, so I can't speak to the current conditions of water sources. It's been dry for the past couple of weeks but there was a big storm this afternoon, which should help to replenish creeks and springs. There is a small stream near the base of North Mountain which should be running, but nothing once you get on the ridge. I would avoid drinking from Craig Creek.

On a side note, there has been a lot of bear activity reported around Lamberts Meadow Shelter, not far from where the Andy Lane connects to the AT. The shelter and campsite were closed earlier this spring. Check the AT website before you go if you are planning on camping here. I saw two bears on North Mountain during my trip.

chknfngrs
06-16-2016, 08:51
Taking the Andy lane trail from the AT (downhill) the trail up North Mountain is directly across the street. There is a stream at that intersection (filter, boil, then filter and treat with Chems as its pasture land). There is no reliable water past that. And you will see zero people up on North Mountain.

FloydBanks
06-16-2016, 09:19
Thanks Guys. Appreciate the input.