PDA

View Full Version : AT Passport and the privileged class of Thru hikers - Good for the trail

Starchild
06-15-2016, 14:07
This summer I will be taking on El Camino De Santiago, the famous pilgrimage in Spain. What has come to my attention is the need to carry the El Camino Passport and get it stamped on the way. This is used at Santiago to prove you are a pilgrim and traveled the required distance (and getting the certificate of completion), but this I recently learned, it is also used to prove you are a pilgrim on the Camino. From my research it appears common to ask for the passport upon entering a hostel it is proof that you are a pilgrim and entitled to the low cost rates pilgrims enjoy. It also gives accountability, a known troublemaker's name may be forwarded to other hostel owners and the passport makes it hard to switch 'trail names' (using a AT term here).

If we like it or not (I do many here don't), the AT Thru hiker is also a privileged class, recognized locally (example: Waynsboro VA tent in park), On the State Level (example the Birches, Baxter State Park), National level (example: Smokey Thru hiker permit), as well as many public and private recognitions, given special privileges, deep discounts and so much more. That is the fact again like it or not.

The AT Passport seems to allow that trend not only to continue but have a way of certifying it, possibly strengthening it, while adding credibility to the person and the thru hike journey. This would allow a divide on such things as hiker pricing and the ability to stay at some places and further the privilege extended to thru hikers and I'm sure LASHERS (LD section hikers) will also be extended most privileges.

The AT passport seems like a way of extending the AT way beyond it's message of seeking communion with the wilderness but something much bigger.

Uriah
06-15-2016, 14:28
More paperwork is what the world needs!

Dogwood
06-15-2016, 14:38
I like the idea of an AT stamped passport. engages, certifies, clarifies, offers potential benefits, etc. for those that want this.

peakbagger
06-15-2016, 16:28
So if someone is section hiker they would need a new passport every year for 10 to 20 years?. I already have a AT passport its called a lifetime membership to the ATC. I would rather the ATC issue a membership card and use that as it might get folks to join.

Sarcasm the elf
06-15-2016, 16:56
Seems like an idea that could have potential.

To play devil's advocate. Giving such a designation to the passport would likely further encourage the idea that there are two classes of hikers (thru hikers and everyone else) which is something I find at least a bit concerning.

Personally I think the next step in regulation will likely be GSMNP requiring people to get the currently voluntary ATC thru hiker permit (and therefore abiding by the ATC's currently voluntary daily quota's for NoBo's) in order to qualify for the smokies thru hiker permit. However that's pure speculation on my part.

FreeGoldRush
06-15-2016, 18:23
The AT Passport seems to allow that trend not only to continue but have a way of certifying it, possibly strengthening it, while adding credibility to the person and the thru hike journey.

You did not even attempt to state that there is a current need for this. I hate to be harsh, but that sort of logic is exactly what has created the current economic gridlock in many European countries, where things often don't happen simply because someone else's stamp of approval, paperwork, certification, etc. makes it impractical. This has resulted in a significantly lower standard of living for people living in those environments.

So no, I have absolutely no desire to be a "certified" thru hiker, regardless of what sort of cotton candy carrots are dangled in front of me to comply.

Sarcasm the elf
06-15-2016, 19:18
You did not even attempt to state that there is a current need for this. I hate to be harsh, but that sort of logic is exactly what has created the current economic gridlock in many European countries, where things often don't happen simply because someone else's stamp of approval, paperwork, certification, etc. makes it impractical. This has resulted in a significantly lower standard of living for people living in those environments.

So no, I have absolutely no desire to be a "certified" thru hiker, regardless of what sort of cotton candy carrots are dangled in front of me to comply.

I Personally don't want to see any sort of permits required either, however with the steadily increasing numbers I think that something will eventually be put in place (regardless of whether it is truly needed). If nothing else, "they" will probably institute something to limit the number of NoBo's per day starting at Springer assuming that the numbers keep increasing every year.

fiddlehead
06-15-2016, 19:29

I agree.
It all seems rather silly and childish to me.
Talk about "Entitlement".

Starchild
06-15-2016, 19:38
You did not even attempt to state that there is a current need for this. ....

Because there is already such a thing and wanted to explore its implications, and perhaps delve into the motivation for its creation, not the need for it. For better or worse it is now a reality, how much traction it gets is still to be determined.

As for you not wanting it, well very good and all, but you may not be doing what is called a AT thru hike, but jsut walking a blazed trail. The AT Thru hike may be, if not already, considered much more than a backpacking trip through the woods (I would contend it has far exceeded that already).

Also to look at the evolution of the AT thru, and where it is going.

Starchild
06-15-2016, 19:40
So if someone is section hiker they would need a new passport every year for 10 to 20 years?. I already have a AT passport its called a lifetime membership to the ATC. I would rather the ATC issue a membership card and use that as it might get folks to join.
Wondering that myself, as I would also like to complete the AT as a section hiker (along with my thru hike, doing the entire trail in sections also) and could I get the passport stamped and recognized even though it is over years.

Kaptainkriz
06-15-2016, 20:25
People get on the trail and off the trail in many places, at many different times, and traverse many different distances. At any moment in time, people have trail behind them and trail in front. No one knows how far anyone will get, even if the intent is to pass every white blaze. What makes one different from another? Who has more rights or privilege or access to resources? Hundreds of thousands of people visit the trail each year seeking to enjoy it in their own way. Creating "classes" of visitors sets up a system of inequality. Yes, this is starting to already happen in some places. We need to be careful what we encourage. The Appalachian National Scenic Trail should be open equally for all. That being said, if we're talking some kind of coupon targeted at through hikers to get discount or priority access to services offered by businesses not associated with the National Park Service or located directly on our Federal lands, sure have at it.

MuddyWaters
06-15-2016, 20:29
Because there is already such a thing and wanted to explore its implications, and perhaps delve into the motivation for its creation, not the need for it. For better or worse it is now a reality, how much traction it gets is still to be determined.

As for you not wanting it, well very good and all, but you may not be doing what is called a AT thru hike, but jsut walking a blazed trail. The AT Thru hike may be, if not already, considered much more than a backpacking trip through the woods (I would contend it has far exceeded that already).

Also to look at the evolution of the AT thru, and where it is going.

Its just a memento.
Its also childish IMO.
The boy scouts do it at Philmont. My scouts thought it was childish too ...at age 13

Reminiscent of the little kids chasing characters at Disney to get autographs from 20 yr old employees in costumes.

Traveler
06-15-2016, 20:30
This could be a concept along the lines of collecting stickers from National Parks, or the medallions that would mount on walking sticks, or other small things people collect. Kind of a collection mechanism, though having an "AT Passport" issued annually wouldn't make a lot of sense for most people. Having one for several years might work though. Interesting concept.