PDA

View Full Version : I-40 to Hot Springs 1/6 -1/8

Tabasco
01-04-2006, 13:37
What are the chances of running into people out hiking that weekend? My wife is worried that I will fall and kill myself yada yada yada, you all have heard it before. I keep telling her that while you may GO alone, you will never BE alone.

Rain Man
01-04-2006, 13:57
What are the chances of running into people out hiking that weekend? ....

My wife and I did this hike in a leisurely three and a half days over this Thanksgiving just past. Not counting about two dozen Boy Scouts at Deer Park Shelter, we ran into about 8 to 12 people, including locals. PLUS, portions of the trail run very close to civilization, though you might never know it. From Max Patch to Lemon Gap the Max Patch road runs parallel with and above the trail, with houses all along it.

We did have Groundhog Creek Shelter and the new Roaring Fork Shelter all to ourselves, however.

Rain:sunMan

MOWGLI
01-04-2006, 13:59
What are the chances of running into people out hiking that weekend? My wife is worried that I will fall and kill myself yada yada yada, you all have heard it before. I keep telling her that while you may GO alone, you will never BE alone.

You'll almost certainly see people around Max Patch, but there is no guarantee that you'll see anyone anywhere else. Never can tell though. My daughter and I did that section in July during the ATC Biennial, and other than a bunch of dayhikers led by Howard McDonald of the CMC, we only saw two other couples and a scout troop out in the three days we walked that section.

Alligator
01-04-2006, 14:41
I did that section in two pieces (short overnights) one in winter the other early spring. Both trips we drove in late and stayed at Roaring Fork then went N and S. Neither time was anyone at Roaring Fork other than us. I can't recall passing any hikers, but I don't generally remember hikers I've passed anyway, unless we both stop for longer than five minutes. A group of 3-4 hikers was finishing up when we dropped the cars though.

Lilred
01-04-2006, 19:35
I hiked that area last June and you will definately see other hikers. Probably run into a late starting thru hiker or three too. You definately won't be alone.

tombone
01-04-2006, 20:35
i walked up to deer park lt yesterday from hs-saw no one on a dreary, wet day. i packed out what i could and placed the rest of the trash where others might pack it out. it had received minimal use but some evidence of a new year's celebration-empty cans, wine champagne bottles, etc.

there should still be snow up on bluff mtn-and there's some in the forecast tomorrow.

Lilred
01-05-2006, 21:55
oops

Just saw the date was for Jan. Saw the 6 and immediately thought June.

Oh well,

Nevermind....

Ewker
05-15-2006, 12:57

how did that trip turn out. I am planning on doing that section some time this yr. With my luck it will be the week of Christmas.

Can I still get a shuttle from Hot Springs back to I-40 that time of yr?