PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Ramsay in Harpers Ferry

Datto
06-15-2016, 18:06
Even though it's a reality TV show, I enjoy Gordon Ramsay as his usual unrepentant opinionated chef. Someone who's done it.

It's on Hotel Hell. Two part series in Harpers Ferry.

AT thru-hikers could use some Gordon Ramsay before they start.

Or even before they plan to start.

Datto

George
06-15-2016, 18:34
my wife had that on, I said that looks like harpers ferry - a while later I realized I stayed there about 10 yrs ago - for the standard of hiker accommodations it was on the upper end, for others it is a "hotel hell"

Datto
06-15-2016, 18:41
my wife had that on, I said that looks like harpers ferry - a while later I realized I stayed there about 10 yrs ago - for the standard of hiker accommodations it was on the upper end, for others it is a "hotel hell"

I really liked Harpers Ferry -- a lot. I was there for more than two days and only left when Crash said it might be time for me to head out (Ha, a most pertinent suggestion).

Almost immediately, a day or three later, I face planted into a clump of Poison Ivy. Ended up takng three days off in Gettysburg, PA -- some of the best times I'd had on the AT in Gettysburg.

Things just always seemed to work out on the AT.

Datto

Datto
06-15-2016, 19:14
For those who are upcoming AT thru-hikers, quite a few of the people who you will meet on the AT have never heard of the Appalachian Trail.

That was the case for me in Gettysburg, PA -- the women at the front desk of the motel kept telling me I should pull my car around the side of the building so it would be near where my room was located.

I finally had to tell the women at the front desk that I didn't have a car.

They'd had this look of weirdness on themselves.

The next question was the usual -- "well how you get here then?"

I'd told them I'd walked.

The women had asked me where I'd walked from.

Oh so good for an AT thru-hiker to be asked that question.

I'd told them "Georgia."

Really long pause. Open mouth looks from the women.

The women at the front desk then said to me, "You walked here from Georgia???"

I said yes, there was trail just west of Gettysburg that got me here all the way from Georgia.

Total stunned looks again from the women behind the front desk of the motel. Moments expired.

Then the question, "You walked here all the way from Georgia???"

I said yes.

Whoo boy, did that start a whole series of an follow-on events.

They called their co-worker at home and told her. She showed up at the hotel sometime later. The women behind the front desk pointed at me as proof positive there was something happening at Gettysburg that day. I'd introduced myself to that new woman and she started into the usual thru-hiker 20 questionsl in total disbelief. She'd never heard of the Appalachian Trail neither.

I received every single one of the free coupons the hotel offered. All of them. I never paid for a meal in Gettysburg, never paid for a ride around town. Just a complete deluxe experience in Gettysburg thanks to the very nice women at that motel. I was there for three days recouperatng from my Poison Ivy faceplant.

Datto

cmoulder
06-15-2016, 21:01
GREAT story! :D

And well told!

Slo-go'en
06-16-2016, 09:00
We should send Ramsay to the Doyle :)

Capt. America
06-16-2016, 09:20
The Doyle paid the overdue taxes and is now working on the plumbing, a good bit of money was raised thru Go Fund I thinks its called. The hiking community has helped greatly with the funding to keep this trail icon opened. There having an Appalachian Trail Festival in Duncannon this weekend I think or next.

New_2_Hikin'
06-22-2016, 13:43
Ramsay needs an attitude adjustment. I'd love to see someone on his show(s) knock his a** out.

Sarcasm the elf
06-22-2016, 17:38
Ramsay needs an attitude adjustment. I'd love to see someone on his show(s) knock his a** out.

That idea has the potential to be a spin-off reality show. Imagine a half hour a week devoted to people knocking out the arrogant hosts and contestants of various reality shows. Heck, that might be enough to even get me to watch.