PDA

View Full Version : Day hike Mount Kathain

Many Moons
06-15-2016, 22:59
What is the best way to day hike to Mount Kathadin? Locals info would be great! Want to do knifes edge. Have time to come to town prior to hike. Where to stay and who to shuttle? Looked on White Blaze for past posts, but could not find any no. I am knocking out state by state on a track to finish, but being older thought it would be a good idea to do this mountain now. Thanks for any helpful info.

HIkE ON!!!!

Miller

rafe
06-16-2016, 00:09
Knife Edge in a day requires a strong hiker, excellent weather, and a very early start.

More typically, folks reserve a lean-to at Chimney Pond for one or two nights.

egilbe
06-16-2016, 06:16
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/118015-2016-Baxter-State-Park-and-Katahdin-info-for-southbounders

Many Moons
06-16-2016, 07:56
Knife Edge in a day requires a strong hiker, excellent weather, and a very early start.

More typically, folks reserve a lean-to at Chimney Pond for one or two nights.

thanks for info. I was wondering if any place in closest town has stay and shuttle and an evening pickup at the park? Or do you have to base camp prior to the start to Baxter Peak?

Miller

rafe
06-16-2016, 08:01
thanks for info. I was wondering if any place in closest town has stay and shuttle and an evening pickup at the park? Or do you have to base camp prior to the start to Baxter Peak?

I don't have any specific advice on getting to or from the park or where to stay outside the park.

My point is that Baxter is "limited access" and they mean it and enforce it. You can show up for day hikes but you must be gone by sundown. There is no free camping anywhere inside the park, camping is only at designated sites.

If you can get to the summit and back in daylight hours (dawn to sunset) then you're good to go. That should be possible from Katahdin Stream Campground (it's about five miles each way) but somewhat longer and much more difficult via Knife Edge.

egilbe
06-16-2016, 08:50

Miller

Information is provided in the link I posted.

Slo-go'en
06-16-2016, 08:51
You can get a shuttle to Abol Bridge, but I doubt they will take you into to park. Anyway, it's going to eat up too many hours of the day. You have to camp as close as possible to get as early a start as possible just to climb to the peak, no matter which trail you take. The most practical way to do the knife edge is to do a loop from Chimney pond and this is a very long and difficult hike (and you need ideal weather). Unfortunately, if you want to stay at Chimney pond, you have to be first in line when reservations open up in January. Go to the Baxter state park web site for more info.

Water Rat
06-16-2016, 09:11
Millinocket is the closest town to Baxter State Park. The AT Lodge is located in Millinocket - The do run shuttles to the park, but I am not sure if they have a scheduled afternoon pickup. You would have to contact them here (http://appalachiantraillodge.com/) to ask. They are making lots of morning runs to the park to drop off SOBOs right now.

Your choices of dates to stay in Baxter (at any of the campgrounds) becomes more limited each day. If your schedule is flexible it is still possible to find available camping.

If you do hike Katahdin don't underestimate her or the amount of time you might need to make the climb. Most who are out just for a day hike will take the average amount of time to climb Katahdin. The average hiking time for hikers is anywhere from 8-12 hours round trip (depends on your fitness and the trail you take). Watch your knees on the way back down.

chiefduffy
06-16-2016, 14:33
Easiest way would be to reserve a campsite at Roaring Brook, drive or shuttle with AT Lodge to Roaring Brook very early, then ascend via Chimney Pond and Saddle or Cathedral trail. Once on top, decide whether to descend same way or cross knife edgeand descend Helon Taylor trail to your campsite at Roaring Brook. Plan 10 to 12 hours minimum for this hike.

peakbagger
06-16-2016, 19:05
Hard to beat a shuttle from AT lodge to Roaring Brook then up Helon Taylor trail to Pamola then across Knives edge to the summit and then Down Hamlin Ridge to Saddle and then Saddle to Chiminey pond Trail. 80% of the hike is on rock and will beat up most folks.

JumpMaster Blaster
06-18-2016, 14:43
Geez, I didn't know it was this freaking hard to get in there.

Slo-go'en
06-18-2016, 14:54
Geez, I didn't know it was this freaking hard to get in there.

Yes. It is remote, they have limited access and strict rules. Take a look at a map.

OkeefenokeeJoe
06-18-2016, 15:09
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/118015-2016-Baxter-State-Park-and-Katahdin-info-for-southbounders

It always amazes me when one posts the exact information for which the OP was asking, then they simply ignore it.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Venchka
06-18-2016, 15:49
It always amazes me when one posts the exact information for which the OP was asking, then they simply ignore it.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Self directed independent research is a lost art.

Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

JumpMaster Blaster
06-19-2016, 11:25
Yes. It is remote, they have limited access and strict rules. Take a look at a map.

I have seen it on a map before, that wasn't the point of my post. I was exclaiming about the difficulty in which to get a permit to hike. Seems like out-of-state dayhikers/visitors are way down the totem pole from thru hikers.

rafe
06-19-2016, 11:36
I have seen it on a map before, that wasn't the point of my post. I was exclaiming about the difficulty in which to get a permit to hike. Seems like out-of-state dayhikers/visitors are way down the totem pole from thru hikers.

Haven't been to Baxter in ages, but back when we did, we made shelter reservations in January.

First visit, we just "showed up" after driving all night from Acadia National Park. We knew we couldn't make the summit of Katahdin, so we made the best of it by doing a day hike up South Turner.

For sure, Baxter has been very accommodating to thru-hikers. Many thru-hikers don't appreciate that.

DLANOIE
06-19-2016, 16:29
Hard to beat a shuttle from AT lodge to Roaring Brook then up Helon Taylor trail to Pamola then across Knives edge to the summit and then Down Hamlin Ridge to Saddle and then Saddle to Chiminey pond Trail. 80% of the hike is on rock and will beat up most folks.
I have done this hike when I was in my twentys. I had a class one day and most of the mountain to myself(so it seemed). It kicked my butt for sure, but I will never forget the knifes edge!

Abol slide is a good alternate route if other trails are full.

peakbagger
06-19-2016, 16:43
Abol Slide was closed few years ago and is still closed. There is no announced date for when it will reopen.

DLANOIE
06-19-2016, 17:01
Abol Slide was closed few years ago and is still closed. There is no announced date for when it will reopen.
I did not know that. Thanks Peakbagger.

chiefduffy
06-20-2016, 07:09
Abol Slide Trail is now scheduled to re-open July 1st. Dudley Trail has been closed indefinitely.

egilbe
06-20-2016, 08:19
Whats wrong with Dudley trail?