PDA

View Full Version : Looking for sections and sites appropriate for a youth group

Just Tom
06-17-2016, 08:41
Hi everyone, I'm reaching out for some advice on sections of the AT that are friendly for a small group of youth.

For some background, I work with a scout troop in CT and a couple of times a year we leverage the established groups sites on the AT in CT for backpacking trips. These designated group sites in CT may or may not have a shelter as well, but are always tent sites for the group. They typically have a bit more space to accommodate the recommended max group size of ten (which we try to stick to, even splinting into multiple crews if needed to do so) and they are occasionally a bit separate from the normal areas. I don't know if these designated areas even exist outside of CT? We have several scouts that have done every mile of the CT AT and are looking to other states for trips.

Does anyone have any recommendations on sections in the northern half of the AT (closer to CT is better like MA or NY, but a trip as far south as VA is even possible) that are well suited to groups?

Thanks!

Mouser999
06-17-2016, 08:52
Riga, Sages Ravine, Ball Brook, Brassie Brook. You may want to check out the Nipmuck Trail. State has 2 campsites and shelters at Bigelow State Forest

Just Tom
06-17-2016, 08:59
Riga, Sages Ravine, Ball Brook, Brassie Brook. You may want to check out the Nipmuck Trail. State has 2 campsites and shelters at Bigelow State Forest

Hi Mouser, thanks for the response. Those are great sites in CT to be sure! I will look at the Nipmuck Trail and the sites you mention at Bigelow State Forest. The scouts seems drawn to the AT, but other non-AT backpacking options are definitely an option too.

Mouser999
06-17-2016, 09:24
Nipmuck Trail can be a relatively moderate 3 or 4 day hike. I did it in April. Send me a pm for more info

Slo-go'en
06-17-2016, 09:31
The ATC might have a list of locations with designated group camping areas. But on the whole, designated AT camping sites do not have group camping areas and a group of 10 will overwhelm the area.

Just Tom
06-17-2016, 11:07
The ATC might have a list of locations with designated group camping areas. But on the whole, designated AT camping sites do not have group camping areas and a group of 10 will overwhelm the area.

I was worried about that. I guess the designated groups sites in CT are unique. Still, I read all the time about scout troops doing AT trips in other states, so I'm not sure how they pull it off.

SteelCut
06-17-2016, 11:28
I was worried about that. I guess the designated groups sites in CT are unique. Still, I read all the time about scout troops doing AT trips in other states, so I'm not sure how they pull it off.

You might want to read some various opinions from this thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/111830-Shelter-etiquette-question-I-think-I-got-bamboozled-(

Just Tom
06-17-2016, 11:41
You might want to read some various opinions from this thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/111830-Shelter-etiquette-question-I-think-I-got-bamboozled-(

No worries on shelter usage, we have never used one with the troop. To restate for clarity what I'm looking for are overnight sites that have sufficient tent space to handle a group of ten.

SteelCut
06-17-2016, 11:50
No worries on shelter usage, we have never used one with the troop. To restate for clarity what I'm looking for are overnight sites that have sufficient tent space to handle a group of ten.

Oh, I missed that. Sorry for the noise. :)

Slo-go'en
06-17-2016, 12:38

CT was about the only section where I saw a few areas specifically designated for group camping. Many hikers don't like staying in shelters for various reasons so that puts more pressure on the limited number of good tent sites which are typically available at a shelter site. Then of course, besides the boy scouts, there are other groups who can show up at the same time, like church groups (the worst kind of group) along with outward bound type youth groups.

So what happens is these groups end up trashing the woods near-by, trampling vegetation and camping in marginal or undesirable locations. Just one of the many problems the trail has due to the increased usage in recent times.

Just Tom
06-17-2016, 12:50
CT was about the only section where I saw a few areas specifically designated for group camping. Many hikers don't like staying in shelters for various reasons so that puts more pressure on the limited number of good tent sites which are typically available at a shelter site. Then of course, besides the boy scouts, there are other groups who can show up at the same time, like church groups (the worst kind of group) along with outward bound type youth groups.

So what happens is these groups end up trashing the woods near-by, trampling vegetation and camping in marginal or undesirable locations. Just one of the many problems the trail has due to the increased usage in recent times.

Sounds like CT has got things right then. If groups are going to access the AT anyway, it is best to provide a designated area for them.

BillyGr
06-17-2016, 13:06
I would say that many of the sites in the MA section are decent, as quite a few of the shelter sites have the newer loft style shelters so those can accommodate quite a large amount of people.
Thus even if you are tenting in the area others coming by would have plenty of space inside (or should all the others really prefer tenting/hammocks you could then offer to take the shelter space instead as a fair trade off, or split).
Not sure what the exact design is in terms of # in those shelters, but 15 (or so) can be accommodated in them.

Also a suggestion would be to try to do the AT backpacking trips in "off" times as long as you are equipped properly. The sites won't tend to be as busy in, say, spring and fall as they would be in the summer or when the thru hiking "bubbles" are coming through.

We even did a stretch from the CT line into NY during April school vacation one year and had a total of 4 other people over 3 nights at the various shelter sites (this was a small group of 4 at that time, but more could have been accommodated easily).

Sarcasm the elf
06-17-2016, 13:38
For what it's worth I have run into college orientation groups containing ten or so people many times in MA and CT. From my discussion with them they had some sort of coordination with the maintaining clubs (AMC I think) in order to make sure that the different college groups don't accidently end up at the same site on the same day. I you can find who to contact they might have the info you need. I have seen sanctioned college groups at Shaker campsite, Oftober Mountain campsite and the campsites at upper goose pond cabin.

I have spent many nights camped at the same sites as organized scout/youth/summer camp/college groups over the last seven years. If I were you I would focus on making sure the kids are on their best behavior rather than focusing strictly on numbers. I have had very peaceful nights camped next to 20 quiet well behaved kids on the A.T. (Multiple youth groups showed up to the same site) on the flip side I have had very annoying nights where camped near 5 or 6 poorly behaved kids with leaders that weren't paying any attention.

Either way you have my thanks for introducing the next generation of hikers to the outdoors.

Just Tom
06-18-2016, 08:47
I've seen the college groups as well, always wondered how they managed not to collide with one another. I just went onto the AMC site and couldn't find any place to register for, or view, group site activity. I'll keep poking around, I can see that as being useful if it were offered.

Slo-go'en
06-18-2016, 10:07
The collage group bonding trips are at every site from NJ to Maine around the end of August and into mid September. Mostly from ivy league schools and they coordinate amongst themselves. This is not a good time to show up with 8 boy scouts in tow (or even by yourself, but I've had some interesting encounters with these groups).

Just Tom
06-18-2016, 10:27
The collage group bonding trips are at every site from NJ to Maine around the end of August and into mid September. Mostly from ivy league schools and they coordinate amongst themselves. This is not a good time to show up with 8 boy scouts in tow (or even by yourself, but I've had some interesting encounters with these groups).

One could argue that it would not be a good time to be that group if we beat them to a designated group site, as happened last Labor Day weekend down in Sages Ravine :p or this spring up on Skatacoke (sp?). Our scouts hiked the pants off both of those groups and we arrived first. In the former, we moved to a smaller site since our scouts have smaller tents and can squeeze a bit, and in the latter the other group ended up having to setup off in the woods since we were setup for a long time before they arrived.

It really does seem like it would be worthwhile to have a voluntary system to coordinate amongst groups.

greentick
06-19-2016, 22:53
It really does seem like it would be worthwhile to have a voluntary system to coordinate amongst groups.

Sounds like a great eagle scout project