PDA

View Full Version : Multi Day Parking for Section 8 or 9 in MA

spektrum
06-17-2016, 11:15
I will be doing my first backpacking trip and section hike of the AT. My plan is to park my car in MA either along section 8 or section 9 and then get a ride to Salisbury CT and hike back to the car over a few days. Depending on my speed I'll plan on doing one night or two nights on the trail.

My question is, does anyone know a safe place to park my car along the trail for a few days? There are several parking locations in these sections but I don't know if there is one better than another. I would prefer to avoid vandalism, tickets and towing obviously.

I found this resource(http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/) but I couldn't find any mention on whether certain locations were ok to leave your car there for a few days or not.

Just Tom
06-17-2016, 11:20
I did section 8 & 9 a few weeks ago. The parking area at MA 23 was large and nice, left my car there overnight. I think you'd be fine leaving a car there for a few days.

BillyGr
06-17-2016, 12:55
Over the years we've left vehicles (usually just one night) at pretty much any of the major areas listed on that site with no issues. Not that that guarantees anything for the future, but generally seems fine.

spektrum
06-17-2016, 13:15
Great! Thanks for the info.

lemon b
06-23-2016, 04:34
The places along Undermountain Road are safe, Rtes 23, 20, and 2 are safe. In Dalton ask around you'll find a safe spot.