PDA

View Full Version : weather around Mr Washington last 3 years

Fran365
06-17-2016, 14:18
I grew up in Massachusetts and was introduced to the White Mountains in the early 70's. I fell head over heels in love with the area from route 16 to Tuckermans ravine/ Hermit Lake and all the approaches to Mt Washington. I've recorded 20+, 3 day trips to that area with my last trip in 2008. I have tentatively planned a trip to that area with my Son and new Son in Law in 2014,15 and 16 with various issues preventing a trip. While planning those years I was struck on how the temps where so low, all spring/summer. Is this a new phenomena or are my memories inaccurate. Any old timers our there or weather buffs? Fran

egilbe
06-17-2016, 14:40
What do you mean by low temps? It can snow on MT Washington, any day of the year.

peakbagger
06-17-2016, 15:35
I do not believe they have had an significant changes but if you want the data, the obs does keep extensive historical records, stop by at the museum someday if you are driving through North Conway. One thing to keep in mind is that weather does vary and its easy to remember a warm winter a few years ago and compare it to current.

If you want to do some looking, daily data is on the website back to 2005 so all you have to is plot it to get a temperature trend. https://www.mountwashington.org/experience-the-weather/mount-washington-weather-archives/monthly-f6.aspx

One thing that has changed is the increase in weather hype. There are several news outlets that now frequently talk about the weather on Washington and the obs is pretty aggressive about getting TV station crews to go visit for remote broadcasts therefore it easier to hear about the conditions up there.

Fran365
06-17-2016, 17:23
Hi egilbe, what I mean is from about 1972-2008 I made trips up Mt Washington between late June and August. I remember a few nights <40F but that was an exception. Granted memories are often inaccurate, but as i did preliminary backpack planning the last 3 years as I checked the weather it just seemed cold. I realize Alpine areas can have any weather any time. I wondered if any had notice this, I looks like none do. Fran

Fran365
06-17-2016, 17:28
HI peakbagger, looks like my memories are off a little, when you get older cold seems colder. My prehike training has unfortunatly exposed a week knee that ends my hiking in the areas I've mentioned.There is a time for everything but it does not last forever, Enjoy! Fran