PDA

View Full Version : Corned beef and sour kraut

RangerZ
06-20-2016, 12:32
Back at ST Patrick's Day I dehydrated some corned beef and sour kraut. I took it on a hike two weeks ago. The sour kraut rehydrated well, the corned beef was a little like jerky but still okay.

I'm thinking of dehydrating some sour kraut with hot dog slices next.

It was a good meal but I was a little empty at bed time.

Uncle Joe
06-20-2016, 13:21
It was a good meal but I was a little empty at bed time.

Were you "empty" because it didn't fill you up or didn't last or were you empty because it went right through you? :eek:

RangerZ
06-20-2016, 13:29
Were you "empty" because it didn't fill you up or didn't last or were you empty because it went right through you? :eek:

Bad choice of words, just hungry, not a lot of bulk to sour kraut.

Sandy of PA
06-20-2016, 20:37
Forgot the side of mashed potatoes to go with it!

Uncle Joe
06-20-2016, 22:09
Bad choice of words, just hungry, not a lot of bulk to sour kraut.

:D Gotcha!

Starchild
06-21-2016, 08:39
Sour kraut is mostly cabbage which is very low calories, some people consider it negative calories due to it takes more calories to digest then you get from it. I'm not sure what the souring part is, most likely vinegar, also zero calories IIRC, so the empty feeling could be due to that. Not saying not to have it, I did make kabassi and kraut on trail, but realize the energy content and adjust the portions to compensate if you feel you need more out of this meal. Added potatoes pieces work well with this meal.

RangerZ
06-21-2016, 10:10
Sour kraut is mostly cabbage which is very low calories, some people consider it negative calories due to it takes more calories to digest then you get from it. I'm not sure what the souring part is, most likely vinegar, also zero calories IIRC, so the empty feeling could be due to that. Not saying not to have it, I did make kabassi and kraut on trail, but realize the energy content and adjust the portions to compensate if you feel you need more out of this meal. Added potatoes pieces work well with this meal.

I agree with all that. I thought it would be fun to have something different on the trail. My original intent (there's another thread back in March) was to make a Reuben with a tortilla, which would have helped some. Instead I just ate it right out of the bag.

QiWiz
06-21-2016, 13:52
Once I dehydrated corned beef and cabbage from a St. Patrick's Day dinner and had it on trail with instant mashed potatoes. One of best trail dinners ever.

plexusbritt
06-23-2016, 10:46
Oh my goodness that sounds good! I may have to add this one to my camping box!

When work keeps you off the trail, dehydrate meals in preparation for the next round! :D

rocketsocks
06-23-2016, 11:11
I agree with all that. I thought it would be fun to have something different on the trail. My original intent (there's another thread back in March) was to make a Reuben with a tortilla, which would have helped some. Instead I just ate it right out of the bag.Reuban is my friend, I love him so.

Rocket Jones
06-25-2016, 19:40
I love taking a serving or two of dehydrated kraut on the trail. With slices of summer sausage and maybe some cheese in a tortilla wrap... good stuff. Something different too.