PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations Waterproof bag size for EE Revelation Quilt

steelfly
06-21-2016, 15:18
Hi Folks,

Quick question, does anyone have size recommendations (5L, 8L, 13 L) for waterproof compression bag for their EE Revelation Quilt? I have seen some folks use the 13 L for full mummy down bag. I am looking at the S2Summit E-vent but would be open to other recommendations? Also, does it make sense to get larger size to throw my Montbell down jacket in as well?

Going up to JMT for a week long hike in July with limited water crossings.

much appreciated.

Steelfly

Hosh
06-21-2016, 15:57
Steelfly (now that sounds like fun)

Good to know temp rating and fill density, however I have a EE reg/wide 850 in both 20 & 30 deg and use their stuff sacks inside a Reynolds Wrap turkey oven bag. This allows me to put in all of my clothes that I want to keep dry, fold over the top and it's good to go.

If you'll be swimming with your pack on, then I would get the larger size water proof bag since you'll want to protect your insulating layers also. Zpacks makes some good CF roll over waterproof bags that could be used dual purpose to store/hang food.

If you want to compress your quilt, I would contact EE and get their take on going smaller than their stuff sack, you might email Tyler.

steelfly
06-21-2016, 16:27
Steelfly (now that sounds like fun)

Good to know temp rating and fill density, however I have a EE reg/wide 850 in both 20 & 30 deg and use their stuff sacks inside a Reynolds Wrap turkey oven bag. This allows me to put in all of my clothes that I want to keep dry, fold over the top and it's good to go.

If you'll be swimming with your pack on, then I would get the larger size water proof bag since you'll want to protect your insulating layers also. Zpacks makes some good CF roll over waterproof bags that could be used dual purpose to store/hang food.

If you want to compress your quilt, I would contact EE and get their take on going smaller than their stuff sack, you might email Tyler.
==============================
Oops, yes that makes sense. I have a 800DT, 30°F, Reg/Wide, though I do like the DYI idea using a Turkey Bag. I was also just going to use a garbage compacter back as a pack liner. Thanks Hosh!

DuneElliot
06-21-2016, 17:15
I use a 15L dry sack for my 10° EE Convert and I have a lot of room to spare...the larger size just makes it easier to stuff the bag into

steelfly
06-21-2016, 18:11
I use a 15L dry sack for my 10° EE Convert and I have a lot of room to spare...the larger size just makes it easier to stuff the bag into

Thank you!

SF

Hosh
06-21-2016, 20:54
==============================
Oops, yes that makes sense. I have a 800DT, 30°F, Reg/Wide, though I do like the DYI idea using a Turkey Bag. I was also just going to use a garbage compacter back as a pack liner. Thanks Hosh!

Turkey bag is lighter, pretty tough, but not as large as a compactor bag. Some folks want their entire pack contents protected from water. I don't care if my cook kit gets wet, so I try to isolate my quilt and carried clothes.

MuddyWaters
06-21-2016, 23:13
You dont want a compression sack
Or are you intent on destroying your $$$ gear?
Just put it in nylon stuffsack, put in liner.

poolskaterx
06-23-2016, 19:44
I really like the Zpacks Large Rectangular Dry Bag, rectanglualr shape "fits" my pack perfectly without leaving weird spaces to try and fill. I compress or allow my sleeping bag/clothing to take up more room depending on how my other gear in my bag is being used. Only 1.2 oz, translucent, and waterproof... and it is cuban fiber; I'm a geek:)

poolskaterx
06-23-2016, 19:46
... and it is cuban fiber; I'm a geek:)
... dang it! "cuben fiber" lol!

steelfly
06-25-2016, 23:35
Thanks folks.

I am going to use the silnylon bag it came with and throw a trash compacter bag in the backpack for clothes and quilt if crossings are high!

SF

sethd513
07-05-2016, 12:49
My 20* enigma long wide will fit in a 9l stuff sack with nothing else. Maybe a pillow if I'm cramming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
07-06-2016, 07:19
Thanks folks.

I am going to use the silnylon bag it came with and throw a trash compacter bag in the backpack for clothes and quilt if crossings are high!

SF

My $.02.....a bear canister packs easiest inside a trash compactor bag with loose sleeping bag and cloths around it...stuff sacks leave lots of voids...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Casey & Gina
07-14-2016, 07:47
You dont want a compression sack
Or are you intent on destroying your $$$ gear?
Just put it in nylon stuffsack, put in liner.

Why not? Even EE's website says down is perfectly safe to compress as long as it's not wet. I use Sea-to-Summit eVent compression sacks for our sleeping bags, love them, and have never had and deterioration in the equipment from doing so. I don't keep something compressed for more than a day or two though - it's not how things should be stored.